Sign in to follow this  
OpticFusion

Rules Reference Guide

I have to say I've read through the Rules more than a few times, and I still find some wording to be fuzzy or even contradictory.

I don't fault folks for getting confused at times.

FFG's rules presentation has evolved a lot over the past decade or so. The key to understanding is usually to take things at face value and not over-think them. They do a good job at making sure words have precise meanings. For example, there is another thread (several actually) talking about gaining back wounds after recovering strain and if this applies to things like Fenn's "Lone Wolf" ability or spending a surge to recover a strain. Lots of debate. However the definition of the term "recover" is very clear and yes, if something allows you to recover strain, and you don't currently have any strain, it "rolls-over" and you recover health instead. The key-word here is recover. If you encounter a rule that uses the term [recover] than read that section and you'll most likely find your answer. 

FFG's rules presentation has evolved a lot over the past decade or so. The key to understanding is usually to take things at face value and not over-think them. They do a good job at making sure words have precise meanings. For example, there is another thread (several actually) talking about gaining back wounds after recovering strain and if this applies to things like Fenn's "Lone Wolf" ability or spending a surge to recover a strain. Lots of debate. However the definition of the term "recover" is very clear and yes, if something allows you to recover strain, and you don't currently have any strain, it "rolls-over" and you recover health instead. The key-word here is recover. If you encounter a rule that uses the term [recover] than read that section and you'll most likely find your answer.

I think it sometimes stems from people playing games like Magic and having been accustomed to a very strict/specific understanding of stuff like triggers/timing/costs etc.

In the words of Yoda:

I feel the OP was pretty much aimed at myself, amongst others. Let me just say that I have infact read and re-read all the booklets cover to cover. I don't hold information from reading a source for very long, yet when put into practice, once 'done' it is retained permanently. For whatever reason that is (age, mental deficiency, whatever) it's something I can't help. Luckily my gaming group knows this about me, and it's never been a problem.

I apologize for my memory shortcomings.

Cheers