Sign in to follow this  
Parravon

How do you fly a Swarm?

OK, I'm not asking for play by play instructions here, but more of an idea of how different players put the swarm to good use.

• How many ships do you prefer?
  • Do you fly a tight or loose formation?
  • One rank or two?
  • Do you have any favourite pilots that are an auto-include in your swarm?
  • Do you like to fly straight down the middle or sweep from the flank?
  • What's your success rate?

How do YOU fly your swarm?

• Tight (Howlrunner)
  • Howlrunner, Backstabber.
  • Joust is where it is at, clever opponents deny this via asteroids and deployment but I will take an offered joust any day.
  • 70% according to my spreadsheet. But this was before Fat Han/Corran/Phantom.

Howlie at the back, Backstabber as a flanker.

- 8 imps 6 rebels

- 2x4 Imps, Tight rebels

- PS 1-3 Imps, PS 2 for rebels

- No, i like my nameless generics to remain anonymous, that way there is no blacklash to their families.

- Since i do not require to fly in formation with all my ships, i am not forced to play just one way, it relies a lot in the match up. But certainly the rebel swarm is the least flexible, since it is completely forced to joust to be efficient, while Ties can bump, barrel roll tricks, etc.

- 91% Imps (tried a few times howlrunner, i hate it)  100% Rebels (only had played 13 games with XXXZZZ)

Imps (most of the time)

11   ----  11

33   ----  33

Rebels (all the time) 

XXX

ZZZ

- Given up on my imp swarms, I'm running 7 ship Rebel swarm. 4 As 3 Zs

- depends on my opponent but generally tight

- 1s and 4s

- they're all generic

- again it depends on my opponent. But I like both.

Was about 60/40'with my imp swarm but am 100% with the Rebs only 20 games though.

5 rebel ships. 

2 Protoypes, 2 Rookies and Jake with PTL and Outmaneuver. 

Will probably soon upgrade it to 2 Z-95s, 2 Blue Squadrons, and Shield upgrade on Jake.

4 ships in 1 corner, Jake in the opposite corner, if the opponent is across from the 4 ships, they go slow and Jake goes fast to flank, if the opponent is across from Jake, Jake goes medium speed as a feint to make the opponent think Jake wants to engage on turn 2, but then actually he breaks away on turn 2 or maybe overshoots with the 5 straight and boost, and the opponent gets lit up by my 4 ships.

• How many ships do you prefer?

6-7 Tie Fighters

• Do you fly a tight or loose formation?

Loose is the best way as Tie Fighters are nimble ships that can swarm over opponents.

• One rank or two?

I actually put them in two groups.  One baits and the other flanks. 

• Do you have any favourite pilots that are an auto-include in your swarm?

I like Backstabber, but not always necessary.  I HATE Howlrunner, though.  She dies too fast and encourages you to fly in a predictable formation.

• Do you like to fly straight down the middle or sweep from the flank?

Flank with one group as the other moves slowly.  If they turn towards the flankers, I have the main group go fast and the flankers slow down.

• What's your success rate?

I haven't done swarms much since Wave 4, but I've come in the top 2 at events for the first 3 waves.

I've had more success when I use Vader and either Backstabber or a Tie Bomber as the flankers.  Vader w/ Concussion Missile and the Tomber with Homing Missile can usually take a ship out in the first volley. 

I usually run 8 ties, 4 academy, 4 obsidian, grouped by type into teams of 4. I start off in formation and joust trying to take the initial damage mostly on acadamies. After the first pass I go for what I call 'Chaos Mode'. All ties break formation and scatter. It's a controlled chaos, but it leaves the opponent nowhere to hide.

Playing this style will give you a crash course in carefull maneuvering, you will lose many ties to asteroids doing this.

I like it because it ususlly flusters the crap out of an opponent. Without good discipline you opponents fleet will fragment for ease of elimination.

At least thats the general idea. I find it more fun than the rigid Howlrunner formation.