Sign in to follow this  
Audient Void

Big problem with Ally Urban Guide

Hello to everybody in the world.

Problem, we puzzled about card Urban Guide.

Text:

If you are on a City space, investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests except when resolving Other World Encounters.

For example...

Action Fase:

An investigator, with Urban Guide on city space, test Influencefor gain something from reserve  with 1 more dice, then he moves to another city space.

Encounters Fase:

Monster, same investigator with same card on city space, test the will with 1 more dice, then test strenght with 1 more dice....investigator wins.

Then normal City encounter, with a test of Lore and another time he with 1 more dice.

Then Reckoning effect with a condition card, so another test of will with another 1 more dice to roll!!!

So on this example there is 5 more dice through the Urban Guide.

My question:   IT IS CORRECT OR NOT?

Because this card seems to me too much powerfull.

And you have to think that this it's a example with 5 dice more, but can be also with  more dice( just 2 monster.)

And think with Leo Anderson that he can take an ally from reserve with only 1 success ( ability), and he has 1 dice more on Wilderness space.

So Leo with their ability and Urban Guide, he can win alone...

Am I correct or not?

I hope you help me..

Thanks....

Not much. Some cards are extremely powerful, but the game can also be extremely brutal, so, particularly strong effects can help balancing each other. Plus, it's an ally that helps you only on a city space, so, you won't be probably staying only in city spaces throughout the game. Wording on EH is rather accurate, so, I won't really be worried about that.

(on a totally unrelated and OT note... holy cow, Devon! I just noticed your collection of X-Wing. We should play IRL some day...)

Yup. Urban Guide is just a powerful card. He helps any and all tests in cities. Notice his 4 influence cost compared to other allies usually lower costs. Still, as Julia pointed out. He's completely useless at sea or in the ocean, where failing tests can cause you the most damage (usually).

Hello,

Another question.....

But the 1 additional roll of Urban Guide has effect also with an army?

Example with Jim Culver in combat encounter with an item/army +1 in strenght and Urban Guide in city, he rolls in strenght : 2 (himself) + 1 (Ability of Jim) +1 (Urban) + 1 (item/army) = 5 dices in total

Am I correct or not?

Thanks in advance.....

There are really only a few limitations on stacking effects. See "Tests" in the Reference Guide, page 11.

When you perform a test, you may apply ONE effect that gives you a bonus (for example, if an item gives you +1 strength and another gives you +3 strength, you only get the +3, not +4). You can add as many "additional dice" from effects that you want. So an effect that says, "Once per turn, you may roll an additional die when resolving a test" does stack with one that says "Investigators on Jim Culver's space roll one additional die when resolving tests".

The other thing that doesn't stack are conditions. You cannot gain a condition if you already gave one of the same name. (For example, you cannot gain a "Leg Injury" condition if you already have one.)

There are really only a few limitations on stacking effects. See "Tests" in the Reference Guide, page 11.

When you perform a test, you may apply ONE effect that gives you a bonus (for example, if an item gives you +1 strength and another gives you +3 strength, you only get the +3, not +4). You can add as many "additional dice" from effects that you want. So an effect that says, "Once per turn, you may roll an additional die when resolving a test" does stack with one that says "Investigators on Jim Culver's space roll one additional die when resolving tests".

The other thing that doesn't stack are conditions. You cannot gain a condition if you already gave one of the same name. (For example, you cannot gain a "Leg Injury" condition if you already have one.)

Thanks Jhorner,

The item is only one ( the whip for example)

So it's correct, on my example Jim rolls 5 dices?