Sign in to follow this  
Hida77

Best Game Ever? Or at least best $$ spent ever?

Just throwing this out there.  I got a chance to play a couple of missions for the Campaign and really enjoyed it, and have been playing a lot of Skirmish games since it was released.  I think this may be the best game I've ever purchased, dollar for dollar. X-Wing has also been a great value, but I really bought 2 games and a bunch of minis/stuff with IA.

Thoughts?

Since Heroquest - That ONE game that will always stand out for me, for the rest of my life - I've been chasing that really epic dungeon crawling kinda board game.

Year before last, I got into Super Dungeon Explore and spent a ridiculous amount of money on the product but the mechanics just weren't quite there and it never really stuck with the kids - even with the whole Chibi cartoon look - and so it sits...  Not a great value for the cost.

Friends suggested Descent, but I figured it was another really big expenditure for a 'darker' dungeon crawler that I thought might be a little too dark for the kids.

Enter SW:IA...

After playing a couple games through, I'd have to say it feels REALLY good to play - so far - and also rewarding / fun to play the bad guy!.  It doesn't feel like sending in wave after wave of fodder...  There are cool things that Imperial gets to do, not just the heroes.  The whole idea of the campaign setup, leveling up and buying new gear and earning side missions is a totally fantastic idea and feels REALLY good in practice.  REALLY can't wait to play more.

It is a excellent game so far. I also think it's a fairly easy game to play, when we had a question about a rule, the reference booklet had all the answers.

We will probably play this more than X-Wing. 

Hida77,

I totally agree with you. My son and I also really enjoyed HeroQuest many years ago.....so I can relate to your comments on that level too. I was going to suggest Descent after reading your HeroQuest remark, but then saw you had considered it. For several years, Descent 1e and then 2e were my favorite game(s) until IA came out.. I don't know if I'd call it "dark", but that's a pretty subjective thing to assess. But if you like IA, you may very well like Descent. (You're right about it being a costly venture though.)

Yes, by far.  And I have LOTS of games.  I think I've tried almost all of the main miniatures games in the past 8-10 years or so, and Imperial Assault is #1.  SWM, WoW Minis, Dungeon Command, X-Wing, Descent, Super Dungeon Explore, etc.  This game is amazing.

And I'll be happily buying all the new releases/expansions that FFG releases too.   :)

I just wrapped up a 4-straight days of getting together with friends to play Imperial Assault.  I wanted my friends, who now live away, to have a chance to try the game while they were in for the holidays.

So I played with hardcore gamers, casual gamers, and people who never played a miniatures game before.  Everyone loved the game.  Usually you hear people say something like, "That was a fun game," or "I had fun," but here, people were totally in love with the game saying it was the best game they've every played or had played in a long time.

And while they had that experience, I had a blast playing the Imperials.  Out of all the missions, I won only two; but I never felt like I lost, because I had so much fun playing and seeing all my friends and family enjoying the experience.

This game is Star Wars in a box...and it is pure magic.

After playing my first skirmish I would have to agree.  Campaign and Skirmish are different enough, while still having that solid gameplay, that makes this thing a dream on wheels.... except it isn't actually on wheels.  I just wanted to say something flashy even if it was technically completely incorrect.   

@Powda: You should also check out 'Claustrophobia' - best 1 vs 1 assymetrical dungeon crawler there is. Best game you never heard of.

Claustrophobia is a great game. I like the randomness in the dungeon creation.

But for the game I played my opponents found that they did not stand a chance against my demons and monsters. Not because I'm that good but because it appears unbalanced to them. I'm not sure about this though.

@Powda: You should also check out 'Claustrophobia' - best 1 vs 1 assymetrical dungeon crawler there is. Best game you never heard of.

Claustrophobia is a great game. I like the randomness in the dungeon creation.

But for the game I played my opponents found that they did not stand a chance against my demons and monsters. Not because I'm that good but because it appears unbalanced to them. I'm not sure about this though.

Which scenario are you playing?  In my experience, the scenarios are pretty balanced with a few scenarios that favor one side or the other.  The first scenario (the one I typically play the most) is really well balanced, but I do feel that the humans do have a bit more of a learning curve in that scenario.  After a lot of plays (favorite 1v1 game), my wife and I almost always end the first scenario in a tie now.

Man, what a great community!

Not that it's my thread at all, but thanks all for the comments and suggestions.  Being married with two kids, the primary criterion for games that enter our home is...  a) Must be solid 2-player for me and the Mrs when the kids are asleep b) Must be accessible at the very LEAST for my 9yr old (who can handle games rated 14+ in terms of complexity) if not for my 7yr old.

If Descent feels a lot like SW:IA, we'll most likely just keep throwing money at SW:IA.  The family really seems to like it that much.

As far as Claustrophobia...  That sounds really interesting.  Going to have to take a look at that!