Sign in to follow this  
Tsiegtiez

M3-A "Scyk" Interceptor Preview Is Up

You don't pronounce a C when it's directly after an S. So there's no way it's pronounced like "sky-k" or "s-kick."

I've been pronouncing it like "sick" but I can understand if the developers pronounce it "seek."

Scarab

School

Scroll

Scuttle

Scratch

Scone

You're not comparing apples to apples on this one. The vowel sound in scyk is an "i" vowel sound. The pronunciation is different depending on the sound that follows... Here are some examples:

Scythe

Scissors

Science

Sciatica

Scimitar

Scenery (long e is close to an "I" sound)

Etc

Edited by Cptnhalfbeard

A white k-turn like you get on a Defender would definitely fit the bill for fast and agile and would help to create a nice for the M3-A.

That would also work and be quite neat, but sadly I think the red 3-K on the dial in the product shot means we probably won't see another white K-Turn. Besides, that's the Defender's schtick. You don't do the same gag twice, you play the next one.

Good catch. I completely missed that the dial in the picture showed a red 3 k-turn. 

You're not comparing apples to apples on this one. The vowel sound in scyk is an "i" vowel sound. The pronunciation is different depending on the sound that follows... Here are some examples:

My point was that English has all manner of pronunciation oddities and trying to apply (what passes for) English rules of pronunciation to a made up word that is supposed to be alien is a waste.

When it comes to made up words and weird spellings you want a pronunciation that sounds cool, at least plausibly matches the spelling and does not match a real word (because people hearing it might get the spelling wrong). That's why I settled on Sky-k.

You don't pronounce a C when it's directly after an S. So there's no way it's pronounced like "sky-k" or "s-kick."

I've been pronouncing it like "sick" but I can understand if the developers pronounce it "seek."

Scarab

School

Scroll

Scuttle

Scratch

Scone

Scythe i think is the only valid argument here imo. The Y works as latin i, which is a common ocurrence enough, from words that comes from Latin or italian (even tho scissors comes from a different word, shear)

Science

Scissors

Scimiter

Scion

Scyk ;P

Edit - oh i see i got ninja'ed already.

Edited by DreadStar

It didn't show the generic specifically, but it says you can equip the ion cannon for as few as 19 points, making the generic 14 points.

seriously they didn't show the generics cost?

It said in the article that the Cartel Spacer only cost 14 points.

The Scyk is a lightly armored and lightly shielded interceptor that features tremendous customizability, and its low cost made it a favorite of the Hutt Cartel and Car’das smugglers, who purchased it in large quantities. Accordingly, the ship enters X-Wing as an agile, but lightly armored, starship with two attack, three agility, two hull, and one shield. Piloted by a Cartel Spacer, the cheapest of these Scyk interceptors cost only fourteen squad points.

But we still don't know what the dial is. We will guess there is plenty of greens to include green hard turns and at least a green 4.

Edited by Marinealver

Yeah, I saw that part, but they left out the PS5 generic and the dial. I'm sure it's somewhere between a TIE/ln and an A-Wing, but I'd like to know if a pair of Ion Cartels for 38 points can do a 1-Bank or am I left with just the 1-Turn, or what kind of K-Turn they've got for following up on their ion shot.

There's a picture of a 3-turn in the article. I'm expecting a 5 as well. 3 and 4 would seem unusual, and nimble fighters often have two choices.

Good catch! 3-K isn't superb, but the TIE/ln has 3 and 4, so that's a possibility. 3 and 5 would work for me, puts it closer to the other interceptor-style ships. 3 and 2 would be kind of hilarious.
How about 3 and 1-K turns!?!! :o They say "slippery!" Or the new S-Turn...

I see others have guessed 1-k as well!

Edited by Plainsman

The points cost makes me curious of the dial, come to think of it. The closest comparison would be the Black TIE Fighter and the Chardaan Prototype A-Wing. The TIE trades a shield for a hull, and comes with +2 PS and an EPT, and the A-Wing costs 1 more point for +1 shield and -1 PS. Assuming we're actually meant to run naked M3-As at all (which I believe we are, otherwise they'd just include the Heavy upgrade and cost it 16 points), the dial should be pretty decent, quite possibly on par with A-Wings and TIE Interceptors.

How do you pronounce it, though?

Sick?

Schick?

Psych?

Shiek?

The developers said it in an interview a while back. They pronounced it "seek". 

Do you know which one?  I'd love to hear them actually say it.

Yeah from what I recall it was the Team Covenant interview with Alex and Frank at GenCon. 

Sick?

Schick?

Psych?

Shiek?

"seek"

Sick?

Schick?

Psych?

Shiek?

The developers said it in an interview a while back. They pronounced it "seek".

Sick?

Schick?

Psych?

Shiek?

I've been pronouncing it

"Sky-k"

"Seek" as heychadwick pointed out, is correct. I caught it in the interview as well! Edited by Plainsman

Yeah, I saw that part, but they left out the PS5 generic and the dial. I'm sure it's somewhere between a TIE/ln and an A-Wing, but I'd like to know if a pair of Ion Cartels for 38 points can do a 1-Bank or am I left with just the 1-Turn, or what kind of K-Turn they've got for following up on their ion shot.

There's a picture of a 3-turn in the article. I'm expecting a 5 as well. 3 and 4 would seem unusual, and nimble fighters often have two choices.

Good catch! 3-K isn't superb, but the TIE/ln has 3 and 4, so that's a possibility. 3 and 5 would work for me, puts it closer to the other interceptor-style ships. 3 and 2 would be kind of hilarious.
How about 3 and 1-K turns!?!! :o They say "slippery!" Or the new S-Turn...

I see others have guessed 1-k as well!

It won't have an S-turn, it doesn't include the rules card for it that we've seen with the Starviper.

The points cost makes me curious of the dial, come to think of it. The closest comparison would be the Black TIE Fighter and the Chardaan Prototype A-Wing. The TIE trades a shield for a hull, and comes with +2 PS and an EPT, and the A-Wing costs 1 more point for +1 shield and -1 PS. Assuming we're actually meant to run naked M3-As at all (which I believe we are, otherwise they'd just include the Heavy upgrade and cost it 16 points), the dial should be pretty decent, quite possibly on par with A-Wings and TIE Interceptors.

I think you are right. But keep in mind that it does have TL. It's not that important unless you put a HLC on it. Then it brcomes a good action to pick!

I'm going to go ahead and be perhaps a far minority and say I'm not too impressed with this. The only reason I'd get this would be for the cannons, which means i'll wait till it is for sale very cheaply. Not saying it is terrible, just not digging it myself. Though does help fine tune my first S and V buys.

I'm going to go ahead and be perhaps a far minority and say I'm not too impressed with this. The only reason I'd get this would be for the cannons, which means i'll wait till it is for sale very cheaply. Not saying it is terrible, just not digging it myself. Though does help fine tune my first S and V buys.

I don't know....might be worth one at release for the cannons (Mangler on Krassis could be nice, I'm hoping MajorJuggler will run those numbers)

Yeah, but I won't be playing in tournaments with it, so I can wait for awhile past release. The headhunters can handle the fix for cheap chaff ships for me initially, though the cannons are a nice appeal no doubt.

My point was that English has all manner of pronunciation oddities and trying to apply (what passes for) English rules of pronunciation to a made up word that is supposed to be alien is a waste.

734214bk-01.jpg

I agree.  It has to be significantly better than the TIE as far as dial is concerned, otherwise there's no reason to take the base ship outside of the cannon upgrade with the cheaper Z available as filler.