Sign in to follow this  
Tsiegtiez

M3-A "Scyk" Interceptor Preview Is Up

Ugh. I would have rather have the title not cost 2 points. Does make it seem like a group of sycks are gonna suck.

To fly, or fly against?

Don't think it's going to be very effective. Too easily killed.

I don't know that they'll be that easy. You can field three HLC-wielding Cartel Spacers with a Swarm Tactics, HLC Sirissu. At range 3, they'll be throwing four attack and evade dice. If your opponent targets anyone but Sirissu, you can reroll any of those defense dice. And if they ignore the Cartels to go after Sirissu, then you'll still have a pair of 4-dice attacks ready to punish them once PS2 rolls around.

You'll do less damage once they close to range 1, but your opponent's list will likely be a bit shredded by then, and any Decimators or Falcons will probably be dead or close to it.

Don't want the HLC? You can also fit four Mangler Cartels with a naked Sirissu.

Edited by PhantomFO

I'm really surprised Laetin A'shera doesn't get an EPT.

True. He's inside the PS 5-6 area where uniques don't neccessarily get an EPT.

Maybe he would have been too nasty together with PTL.

On the bright side: you save some points

Edited by TheRealStarkiller

I'm really surprised Laetin A'shera doesn't get an EPT.

Between Emon Azzameen and Drea Renthal, it isn't a huge surprise. His ability is pretty solid, and I think they did it just to preclude Vet Instincts or Predator from him.

I don't know that they'll be that easy. You can field three HLC-wielding Cartel Spacers with a Swarm Tactics, HLC Sirissu. At range 3, they'll be throwing four attack and evade dice. If your opponent targets anyone but Sirissu, you can reroll any of those defense dice. And if they ignore the Cartels to go after Sirissu, then you'll still have a pair of 4-dice attacks ready to punish them once PS2 rolls around.

You'll do less damage once they close to range 1, but your opponent's list will likely be a bit shredded by then, and any Decimators or Falcons will probably be dead or close to it.

Don't want the HLC? You can also fit four Mangler Cartels with a naked Sirissu.

It's a heck of an idea, and not something that's been possible before, but I don't think a block of Scyks is going to work all that well. They don't have a Biggs, and they go down too easy to poor rolls. Four X was a thing, but hiding Biggs at the back was the linchpin to that concept. The Scyk block can't force my shots, and any 3-Attack ship has a chance to one-shot each of them at any range. Too risky, especially against turrets.

Now, two HLC Scyks aft of a block of Headhunters? That I can see as being pretty effective. Or a pair of PS5 Manglers with either Predator or Outmaneuver to flank for a Firespray. I think the Scyk has a bunch of great spots to fit into, but I'm going to be treating it like an A-Wing or Interceptor for now.

You don't pronounce a C when it's directly after an S. So there's no way it's pronounced like "sky-k" or "s-kick."

I've been pronouncing it like "sick" but I can understand if the developers pronounce it "seek."

Well, as a german I have less troubles with reading names like they are written.

And in this case it would sound like an american would say "s-kick"

Ive heard a lot of speculation about whether it will have an additional k-turn at 4 or 5... Even a suggestion that it might be a 2... I present to you the possibility that they are hiding the dial from us because we are getting our first on-dial 1 K-turn. Boom! *drops mic*

Ive heard a lot of speculation about whether it will have an additional k-turn at 4 or 5... Even a suggestion that it might be a 2... I present to you the possibility that they are hiding the dial from us because we are getting our first on-dial 1 K-turn. Boom! *drops mic*

That would be just nuts. I highly doubt it, but now that you've said it that would be phenomenal. I don't know how that ties into fast and agile, though.

Also, why would you ever put Flachette Torpedoes on the Scyk?  You can just get a Flachette Cannon for the same price.  It is range 1-3, doesn't need a TL, and can be used more than once. 

The advantage that the torpedo has over the cannon is that it can reliably stress high agility targets. The cannon needs to hit and can't cause stress to anything that already has stress. It's essentially a 3 dice attack that doesn't grant a range three bonus but can only ever do a single point of damage against most PTL and EI ships.

I'm not sure that it's a big enough advantage to justify taking the torpedoes on an M3-A instead of a cannon. If you want the torpedoes you are probably better off just spending another two points and taking a Y-Wing. Ordnance is a bad enough value right now that I don't see anyone paying 2 points for the title and then choosing to equip missiles or torpedoes instead of a cannon.

That would be just nuts. I highly doubt it, but now that you've said it that would be phenomenal. I don't know how that ties into fast and agile, though.

A white k-turn like you get on a Defender would definitely fit the bill for fast and agile and would help to create a nice for the M3-A.

You don't pronounce a C when it's directly after an S. So there's no way it's pronounced like "sky-k" or "s-kick."

I've been pronouncing it like "sick" but I can understand if the developers pronounce it "seek."

Scarab

School

Scroll

Scuttle

Scratch

Scone

Edited by Forgottenlore

Sum and villainy?

Well you certainly don't pronounce the C in Scythe, and that's the closest word I can think of for spelling/consonant delineation. Knowing the developmental etymology of the language in question would help, but seeing as it's a made-up word from a science fantasy game, I don't think anyone's going to be busting out their Latin reference texts.

A white k-turn like you get on a Defender would definitely fit the bill for fast and agile and would help to create a nice for the M3-A.

That would also work and be quite neat, but sadly I think the red 3-K on the dial in the product shot means we probably won't see another white K-Turn. Besides, that's the Defender's schtick. You don't do the same gag twice, you play the next one.