Sign in to follow this  
Tsiegtiez

M3-A "Scyk" Interceptor Preview Is Up

Yeah, I saw that part, but they left out the PS5 generic and the dial. I'm sure it's somewhere between a TIE/ln and an A-Wing, but I'd like to know if a pair of Ion Cartels for 38 points can do a 1-Bank or am I left with just the 1-Turn, or what kind of K-Turn they've got for following up on their ion shot.

There's a picture of a 3-turn in the article. I'm expecting a 5 as well. 3 and 4 would seem unusual, and nimble fighters often have two choices.

Good catch! 3-K isn't superb, but the TIE/ln has 3 and 4, so that's a possibility. 3 and 5 would work for me, puts it closer to the other interceptor-style ships. 3 and 2 would be kind of hilarious.

So I can run five Cartel Spacers with Flechette Torpedoes? Doin' it.

(I really think they should have cost 13, though.)

Yeah, I saw that part, but they left out the PS5 generic and the dial. I'm sure it's somewhere between a TIE/ln and an A-Wing, but I'd like to know if a pair of Ion Cartels for 38 points can do a 1-Bank or am I left with just the 1-Turn, or what kind of K-Turn they've got for following up on their ion shot.

There's a picture of a 3-turn in the article. I'm expecting a 5 as well. 3 and 4 would seem unusual, and nimble fighters often have two choices.

Good catch! 3-K isn't superb, but the TIE/ln has 3 and 4, so that's a possibility. 3 and 5 would work for me, puts it closer to the other interceptor-style ships. 3 and 2 would be kind of hilarious.

It's been there since the first Scum & Villainy announcement.

No dial? Seriously? The Scyk lives or dies by its dial.

Yeah I was expecting to see a dial. Won't really know how this ship will perform without one. So you can run 3 generics and one of the named with HLC and a couple points left over. It would be the ultimate glass cannon list.

13 was my guess as well. I'd like to know the efficiency of the stat line for the cost, because I'm not sure what we're getting over the TIE/ln besides the shield and point of Pilot Skill.

But the product shot is the same, you're right. Definitely wasn't trying to guess the dial back then though!

Ok ... 14 points.

So 5 Heavy Scyks may form a nice mango farm.

Would be about the same as running 5 avenger interceptors, which can be fun, but isn't the most competitive usually.  Scyks would get the one shield, range 3 attack bonus from cannon, and crit ability.  But the ints have the PS advantage.

Would be fun to see those two lists square off though.  With the ints shooting first and getting 4 dice at range 1, while the sckys deal out crits to the shieldless ints.

13 was my guess as well. I'd like to know the efficiency of the stat line for the cost, because I'm not sure what we're getting over the TIE/ln besides the shield and point of Pilot Skill.

But the product shot is the same, you're right. Definitely wasn't trying to guess the dial back then though!

I think 13 would have been a little too low. Compared to an Academy Pilot, it trades one hull for one shield, gains a point of PS and adds a Targeting Computer. Compared to a Bandit, it trades a point of shielding and the missile slot for an extra agility and the Barrel Roll and Evade actions.

Ok ... 14 points.

Would be about the same as running 5 avenger interceptors, which can be fun, but isn't the most competitive usually.  Scyks would get the one shield, range 3 attack bonus from cannon, and crit ability.  But the ints have the PS advantage.

Would be fun to see those two lists square off though.  With the ints shooting first and getting 4 dice at range 1, while the sckys deal out crits to the shieldless ints.

Wouldn't the Scyks shoot first? Avengers are PS1, Cartel Spacers are PS2.

Ok ... 14 points.

Avengers are PS3 ...

I think 13 would have been a little too low. Compared to an Academy Pilot, it trades one hull for one shield, gains a point of PS and adds a Targeting Computer. Compared to a Bandit, it trades a point of shielding and the missile slot for an extra agility and the Barrel Roll and Evade actions.

You know what, you've got a good point. I completely forgot about the Target Lock vs the TIE/ln, in particular. Next to the Headhunter, the Scum one anyway, they also get a point of Pilot Skill in addition to everything else.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with where they wound up. The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm just glad it's a point cheaper than a Refit Prototype A-Wing! Plus with the Mango, Ion, or Flechette cannons, a pair of Heavy Scyks all come in at or below forty points, and that's not bad at all. Lots of versatility, and that's what I was hoping to see.

Edited by Tsiegtiez

Ok ... 14 points.

Avengers are PS3 ...

Gah, was confusing them with the Alphas.

Do the generics get the illicit ability?  That would add to their cost as well.

Probably not, since the unique pilots didn't. There are also no Illicit upgrages coming with the pack. But! Without the actual card images we can't know for certain yet. It would be the first time a generic pilot got something the same-ship Ace didn't, though.

I like that you can keep it cheap without upgrades...or pay the extra 2 pts to add something. 

Also, why would you ever put Flachette Torpedoes on the Scyk?  You can just get a Flachette Cannon for the same price.  It is range 1-3, doesn't need a TL, and can be used more than once. 

While you can't get 5 Scyk's with HLC, you can get 5 with Mauler Cannons.  You want to hurt the large ships?  Use those things.  Heck, even a normal sized ship will be hating it. 

Ugh. I would have rather have the title not cost 2 points. Does make it seem like a group of sycks are gonna suck.

To fly, or fly against?

Don't think it's going to be very effective. Too easily killed.

Oh I agree, inasmuch as five A-Wings or five Squints die for the same reasons. I think a couple naked Cartels could be interesting, or a pair of Ion/Mango Heavy Carts, but they definitely don't warrant being the majority of a list. The Headhunter is definitely better fodder, but the Scyks can have better list synergy I think.

Clearly there are many ways to use the cannon upgrade options. The real question is whether it will be swarmable with the non-Heavy version. At 14 points minimum, it seems like it would need to have an amazing dial to compete with 12 point swarm ships. So disappointing to still not know the dial.