Sign in to follow this  
naotakayi

My painted miniatures for Imperial Assault

@ Nao - They look great!

What white paint are you using? I've been dreading painting my storm troopers' due to the ink process. I'm using Army Painter white and it's a thin white.

Edited by Reorder

@ Nao - They look great!

What white paint are you using? I've been dreading painting my storm troopers' due to the ink process. I'm using Army Painter white and it's a thin white.

Not wanting to answer for Nao, but I used a basecoat of Skull White (spray) and then simply used a black paint for the joints and visor, and then I'l most likely do a simple wash and touch ups

@ Nao - They look great!

Not wanting to answer for Nao, but I used a basecoat of Skull White (spray) and then simply used a black paint for the joints and visor, and then I'l most likely do a simple wash and touch ups

This is how I was planning on doing it as well. But in my last test of painting white as the top coat after doing an ink wash, the white I painted over the wash seemed to thin.....This is harder to explain than I thought. I'll try to dig up the models when I get home tonight and post a photo but basically....the white looks dirty. Nao's storm troopers look clean and very defined. I'd like to avoid the dirty looking trooper. Hopefully that makes sense.

Hey Reorder, 

Thanks for your kind words. I was actually happily surprised how those Storm Troopers came out. I actually just sprayed them white with Skull White spray from Games Workshop and when they were fully dry I washed them with thinned down Nuln Oil wash. Afterwards I filled in the undersuit and some details with rather thin Abaddon Black. I've actually not done any fixing with white after.

Because I thinned down the wash quite a bit with water, the models stay looking white. Remember, you can always redo a layer of wash when its too thin, but the other way around is not really possible.

Edited by Nao

Hey Reorder, 

Thanks for your kind words. I was actually happily surprised how those Storm Troopers came out. I actually just sprayed them white with Skull White spray from Games Workshop and when they were fully dry I washed them with thinned down Nuln Oil wash. Afterwards I filled in the undersuit and some details with rather thin Abaddon Black. I've actually not done any fixing with white after.

Because I thinned down the wash quite a bit with water, the models stay looking white. Remember, you can always redo a layer of wash when its too thin, but the other way around is not really possible.

So newb here, no basecoat, just the white spray directly on the plastic?

Indeed zbooth21. White spray directly over the plastic. Then you let them dry thoroughly and wash them with thinned down Nuln Oil from GW or Dark Tone ink from Army Painter. Both those inks do not stain if you water them down enough.

Visionvoid: Something like 60:40 in favour of water? I'd always err towards water, that way you don't ruin anything.

Forensicus: I have indeed thought about it and might do it. But not now. I've been doing all that painting, I am lazy now :P

Edited by Nao