Sign in to follow this  
lo742

Help vs Farlander B-wing build

I am still somewhat of a new player.  We had a big fight but the one that gave us a lot of trouble was the B-wing build

Keyan Farlander

B-wing/E2

Kyle Katarn

R3A2

Every round he would stress someone, get stress and then use to turn all focus to hits, then get a focus token.  I thought it was a very good build for synergy. 

However fighting it was a pain, any suggestions?  Or just focus target it and try to burn it down.

I must warn, I do not roll well :)

And even if he could it would not be that great of a build. You could put Tactician on him though, which is essentially the same thing just that he needs to be at range 2 and would not take a stress.

Now i will post you the two builds that are really troublesome with Farlander (and perfectly legal):

Keyan Farlander (38)

B-Wing (29), Advanced Sensors (3), Stay on Target (2), Engine Upgrade (4)

or

Farlander (39)

B-Wing (29), Advanced Sensors (3), Push the Limit (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Both have insane mobility. They both also work very well without Engine upgrade, but it adds a lot to them. The first one is even more mobile and cheaper while the second one allows for target locks.

Thanks for the update.  I play Imp side so do not have any rebel stuff.  its a good friendly game but that was a good build.

No problem. If you ever encounter something like that, kill it asap because if you dogfight with it, you will lose most probably.

And welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the update. I play Imp side so do not have any rebel stuff. its a good friendly game but that was a good build.

Good build minus the illegal upgrade.

It happens.

I've played against folks who would put ptl on a named awing pilot but turns out that pilot doesn't have the elite upgrade.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume you both are relatively new players.

Just keep an extra eye on the upgrade options on each pilots, and make sure the upgrade matches up with the symbols in the upgrade bar.

Keep in mind while for example some names pilots can take certain upgrades, that does not mean each pilot can of the same ship.

Example

Tycho in the awing can use elite pilot upgrades where as Gemmer sojan another awing pilot can not (Gemmer is the pilot I was referring to)

Bwings cannot keep up with fast agility ships and a round or two of focus fire makes short work of them

Edited by Krynn007

I've played against folks who would put ptl on a named awing pilot but turns out that pilot doesn't have the elite upgrade.

With the test pilot title you can actually put PTL on any named A-Wing now. As long as he didn't use 2x EPTs he was probably legal.

With the test pilot title you can actually put PTL on any named A-Wing now. As long as he didn't use 2x EPTs he was probably legal.

Good call, bad example maybe, but i have seen upgrade on pilots who couldn't use them.

Biggs is another example, but that was way back then.

Ya the 4 of us are new players, really enjoying the game.  He did fess up before I said anything.  He sent me an email after looking over it again.

all is good.  Now i just need to find some good Imp strategy guides :)

Ya the 4 of us are new players, really enjoying the game.  He did fess up before I said anything.  He sent me an email after looking over it again.

all is good.  Now i just need to find some good Imp strategy guides :)

It's still a B-Wing. If you throw enough red dice at it it will go down. He does not have the insane mobility the build i wrote you has, so it's easy to get shots at him. And he is expensive that's for sure!

One of the many reasons I don't run many B-wings anymore, As fickle as green dice can be, I find B-wings can just blow up in 1 or 2 turns depending on how many reds are coming at you. Really finding I like Z-95's and A-wings at the moment. Looking forward to Z-95's and M-3A's! 

One thing B-wings HATE is Ion. As if you roll 2 hits or more, they cannot evade it and then you know exactly here it's gonna be next turn (other than a possible barrel roll or boost if it has something to give it a boost)

I am still somewhat of a new player.  We had a big fight but the one that gave us a lot of trouble was the B-wing build

Keyan Farlander

B-wing/E2

Kyle Katarn

That part of the build is a good start. However, as noted by others Farlander does need something to trigger the stress to happen. Push the Limit (PtL) or Stay on Target (SoT) are both good choices if you have the cards or are okay with proxying ones you do not yet own. I'd maybe tack on Advanced Sensors (AS) as well if you have that one too. It's a decent combination.

With the stress, Farlander can use it like a Focus on his attack, and then once it's spent get one free Evade token. It's not a huge help, but it's a bit more.

B-Wings can be squishy things, if they find themselves in sustained enemy fire though. That mere one green die doesn't hold out for long against a determined assault.

To kill a B-wing - as some people have said, through lots of red dice at it.  With only 1 Agility, it can be taken out somewhat quickly.  But the 8 hp does keep it around a bit.

If you fly ships that are big targets with a bulls-eye on them (like Keyan Farlander), then you need to find a way to protect them.  The best option is to make sure they don't get shot!  You can't be damaged if you can't be shot at!  The mobile Farlander's with Push The Limit and Engine Upgrade listed above will definitely help with that.  Tanky ships that can take quite a beating are always popular.  The B-Wing does it for its cost (on the PS2 model, at least - not so much for the cost with higher skilled pilots or once you start loading the ship with upgrades).  But that is why the Fat Han or Super Dash builds are so popular - the primary ship is so hard to take out!  Another way to do this is make sure you have multiple threats that the opponent must choose from - not the easiest thing to do in a 100 point game.  A third option is find a way to suck damage from the primary target to help it keep alive longer.  Another ship with Draw Their Fire can help - especially if that ship can regenerate the damage it took with a droid like R2-D2.  Probably the best option is to find a bodyguard that can protect your main threat(s).  And the Rebels have the best bodyguard in the game - Biggs!  Biggs' role is to die first, protecting your biggest threat so it survives later in the game.  Use him, if you can.  But don't sink too many points into him - as he is going to die.  But if you can help keep him alive longer with other parts of your squad - do it.  Draw Their Fire on another ship that I mentioned above is helpful.  Farlander with Jan Ors crew (instead of Kyle Katarn) is also useful - use Jan's ability to turn a Focus into an Evade every turn. Use it on Bigg's every turn until he dies, then use it with Farlander himself after that. A guaranteed evade every turn for a couple turns definitely helps extend the life of any ship.

Hope this info helps.  And welcome to X-Wing!!!

Edited by Spike IT