Sign in to follow this  
Wayne Argabright

VT-49 at range 3 agility bonus WHILE using expose...

What Vanor said.

You are supposed to add some dice based on agility, so first you have to calculate what your agility is

You do some math to calculate agility. Once that math is done, if the total is less than zero, consider it zero because the calculation is complete

Add that number dice

Then, if the attack is range 3 or obstructed, you add additional defense dice.

agility calculation is now complete

0 + 1 + 1 = 2 green defensive dice

Exactly.

It's a semi-common mistake some people think of green dice = agility. But that's not really true, agility is just one source of defense dice. Agility never has and hopefully never will affect the bonus defense dice from range 3 or obstructed attacks.

The scenario would be exactly as described on the other pages.

Agility 0 - 1 (expose) = Agility -1.

THis is the final modification of agility, so now the (min. 0) rule comes in. and the agility is 0.

So the ship with expose has agility 0. Then, when it is being attacked at range 3, it adds 1 green dice to its defence pool (not +1 agility), and would therefore roll 1 dice.

On this, nothing has changed.

Edited by godofcheese

So the -1 agility from Expose comes before the Range 3 defense die bonus for ranged primary weapon defense? Or does it remove the first +1 defense die it gets (whether range, crew, or captain defense)? I am curious because that's the difference between one, two or three defense die on my build (Kenkirk, Ysanne, and Range Bonus).

No, the range bonus die have nothing to do with the ship's Agility or Attack stats. It is literally just an extra die. For this same reason, a VT-49 at Range 3 of Wedge still gets to roll that single evade.

In your particular case, you roll 1 die against attacks from range 3 regardless of anything else, assuming you use expose. Isard has nothing to do with the number of dice you roll, she grants an evade token(or is it an evade action? can't remember off the top of my head). Kenkirk sets your agility to 1 once he is active, its zero otherwise. If you use Expose, and Kenkirk isn't active, you reduce 0 to 0(can't reduce below zero, that clause is somewhere if I'm not mistaken) so your agility grants you no dice. If you use Expose and Kenkirk is active, you reduce 1 to 0, and gain no dice from Agility. Thus the only die you roll is the range bonus.

You're quoting a post from 2014...

As much as I dislike them I think a case could be made for adding an Autoprune feature to the Rules Forum.

It's one thing if they are always open to interpretation like most RPGs or you're looking at a "finished" system but X-Wing rules are still dynamic enough that an answer given a year ago isn't always right now.

The story of where ZealuxMyr went wrong:

One day ZealuxMyr was eating his tofurkey and cheese sandwich while at lunch in his office. He saw a post that referenced a year old ruling, knowing that X-Wing rules can change by the minute he endeavored to resolve the issue. Sadly he only reviewed up to page 4 of the new Force Awakens Core set which reads: "All modifiers to agility are cumulative. After all modifiers have been applied, if a ship's agility value is less than '0,' it is treated as '0.'" Knowing the game fairly well ZealuxMyr lumped range bonuses into "all modifiers to agility" without considering the fact that the Rulebook may specifically address such things later on. ZealuxMyr wrote his reply and munched on his sandwich. Then, when the helpful gurus of the forum corrected this mistake, ZealuxMyr saw that page 16 clearly defines a range bonus as an extra die added during the roll step - thereby skipping the maths part all together! X-Wing Rulebook Page 16 from the Force Awakens Core set: "When resolving a primary weapon attack, the attacker or defender may roll additional dice depending on the range of the attack. At Range 1, the attacker rolls one additional attack die during the 'Roll Attack Dice' step. At Range 3, the defender rolls one additional defense die during the 'Roll Defense Dice' step."

Now ZealuxMyr says thank you for ensuring the correct answers were made available to all players. *thumbs up*

You're quoting a post from 2014...

**** zombies, I didn't even notice... the point still stands though, someone bumped it with the wrong info, nothing has actually changed, so it's still worth making that clear.

The story of where ZealuxMyr went wrong:

...skip...

Now ZealuxMyr says thank you for ensuring the correct answers were made available to all players. *thumbs up*

I dare say that we've all had those moments.  And anyone who wouldn't admit that it probably lying about it although may have been fortunate enough not have put out the brainfart for the world to see.