Sign in to follow this  
colinw94

Have we forgotten how to fly casual?

In X-Wing, the objective of the game is to blast your opponents fighters to smithereens before he does the same to you.  I.E. "WIN".

If you're not playing to win, you're not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

By all means, have fun, fly casual, but if you get beaten, don't declare some stupid moral high ground because you were playing a fun list that is obviously gimped against a Fat Han in a TOURNAMENT.

It's YOU that aren't playing the game right.

I DO play to win.  I use winning lists, and avoid gimped squads at all costs.  Crappy ships are losers.  Good squads win games, and that is what I attempt to do....AT ALL COSTS...Win.

However I DO also fly casual.  I play by the rules, and will let you back up, dont whine when you 'bump' your ships and give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to range/obstructions.  When I lose I'm like "oh well...no biggie".

THAT is flying casual...while conforming to the rules that state the objective is to win.

I fly casual.  I play the way the game was REALLY meant to be played....and whaddya know, I have fun doing it...by playing to win, with a casual demeanor.

Flying casual gets good pilots killed....don't be part of the problem.

Edited by Deadshane

As far as the asteroid thing goes, i use a small piece of painters tape looped on the back.  Its enough to last a tournament day, and prevents things from getting bumped.

As far as gamers and flying casual goes, i agree with the person who said that being a tournament player and flying casual aren't self exclusionary.

Play to win, whether casual or competitive, play to win.  Good, tight games don't need to be a tournament only thing, they can be casual too.  My best friend and i, we play a lot of games at my house on my table.  what we don't do is kill each other over every rules dispute, we give each other the benefit of the doubt, and play extremely tight games (well, as tight as we can make them) and we fly casual, even when we are playing to get as good as possible. we don't do take-backs, and we don't allow second chances. we just "rack em up again" and try it all over again.

we fly casual, but we fly with intent. That doesn't mean to be a jerk or an ass, but it does mean to play as good as tight as we can, and when disputes happen, handle it like friends and move on.

I think sometimes we put a lot of the negative behaviors on the tournament players, but i have seen as many, and maybe more poor sportsmanship come from the casual crowd than it has from the tournament crowd.  Decrying claims of foul play because someone plays whisper with VI, or condemning their opponents for playing Fat Han.

Point is this, if you want to stop poor sportsmanship, you can't target people on why they play.  Whether people are playing games with the intent to win a tournament, or they are playing to re-create the battle of Yavin IV, you hold the players accountable.  When someone has a table flipping moment, you get the games store owner involved, and ensure that the player understand that kind of behavior is not appropriate.  Make sure they understand that behavior like that wont get them anything, and hold everyone to a higher level of discourse.  

In my town, FLGSs are aware of who the main offenders are, and while the gamers in my area are normally willing to give people a second chance, the offenders are aware that if the behavior continues, people just wont play them, and it wouldn't be the first time i have seen someone dump 300.00 into a game to have no one to play with because they made it a point to degrade and insult their opponents because they beat them in a freaking game of toy-monks-with-swords-flying-fighters in space.

Edited by sc077y

Hey, Hey you over there! You're having the wrong kind of fun!

Seriously, this casual vs competitive thing pisses me off. Some people really enjoy playing at a high level and analyzing the game to come up with new and better strategies. THIS IS FUN FOR THEM. I'm not a tourney player, but I do understand the mind set. Very few high level players post a lot on forums like this, for obvious reasons. What's left are internet tough guys.

You're now my hero.

And in the meantime, nobody addresses the real victim in this.  The asteroid.  
#mineralrights #asteroidsmatter
The one who was TRULY "flying casual".  Then BHAMK.  Too much rock for one sky.

I just picked up the game myself, but as far as style or type of player, I look for a TinCup moment.
I will likely lose, but years later, somebody is gonna say "remember when that one guy did...".  And everyone just smiles and nods 'cause it was so cool.

Edited by Nargy

No some people play purely to win, the kind of person that hurts themselves when they make a stupid mistake and throw stuff around when they lose.

Really ? Do you know people who physically hurt themselves when they do a mistake or throw stuff around when they lose ?

I have yet to find that mystic creature after so many years playing tournaments. 

No some people play purely to win, the kind of person that hurts themselves when they make a stupid mistake and throw stuff around when they lose.

Really ? Do you know people who physically hurt themselves when they do a mistake or throw stuff around when they lose ?

I have yet to find that mystic creature after so many years playing tournaments.

I do indeed know a guy called Sam exactly like that he messes up playing world of tanks he hits himself, he loses at magic cards go flying all over.

Other people have some misfortune early on and pout the rest of the game playing with their iPad instead of paying attention to the game and basically trying to make you feel bad for winning.

And there's always TFG who'll do anything up to and including cheating to win.

Wow this is funny because I was gonna make a thread just like this to ask people to stop trying to shove eachother's opinions down their throats, and chill since it is a game, but you beat me to it.

We have to agree to disagree and not start huge flame wars just because someone's opinion is different from mine.

Well, then we have very different experiences. Except at videogames, but that has been on tournaments and there was money on the line, so i kind of understand the other guy being upset, but never physically menace or hit himself lol.

The most recurrent theme that annoys me is actually people who do what you said about getting into their cellphone full autism mode engaged, but in my experience has always been people who spout that they "play only for fun" as an excuse while complaining about luck withouth full knowledge of the odds or understanding of why they are losing, so i guess you can understand my bias. Normally the less knowledge you have about the game, the more likely is that you will blame external factors. Kinda like a Dunning-Kruger effect.

People who get a bit down after losing in a tournament, i don't know, i can empathise with that, but being dicks about it, is something very rare to see in my experience from competitive players on board games.

Edited by DreadStar

Oh this isn't tournaments this is just friends I play various games with they form a little microcosm that has some good and some bad examples of gamers in general.

I only play for fun be it 40k, x-wing or battletech having a good game with a few memorable moments is worth more than a win if we can laugh about it later.

Another man's fun is another man's bane.

I doubt this debate will go away.  However, did people really feel the need to get that pissed off about the bacon post?  You know, it wasn't that bad.  The accusation of "taking things too seriously" can go both ways between the Casual player and the Hardcore player.

To truly fly casual, don't play in tournaments.

Again....no. That's not accurate.

The choice to Fly Casual is yours regardless of the format and regardless of how others conduct themselves.

Part of Flying Casual is also how you react to other behaviors that are less than ideal.

Perhaps I'm blessed with a good playgroup and the players I have met from Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago have just been largely very cool but I will swear up and down that how you personally choose to conduct yourself is what you get out of a situation, tournament or casual play.

And you can choose to let that person ruin your day or you can be the stronger person and not let them bother you.

Is it better in the nature of the game to debate until the accepted true state be attained or simply roll a dice and move on?

No you're correct, if both players can not agree on something and there's no 3rd party then you can and should roll dice.

So in the case of an asteroid being moved, if both people can't agree on where exactly it should go, then sure roll dice and the winner decides.

But that does not mean you should roll dice to decide if the Phantom in question landed on it or not. Or in the case of the ship on the edge of the table, there's no need to roll dice if the ship is clearly off. Rolling dice would only be if both parties couldn't agree.

This is simply the casual v competitive issue once more. Some people are casual, others highly competitive, some in the middle. I don't know of any game, no matter how random, where someone playing it isn't playing it to prove himself/herself superior to another player. Play with who you know fits your mindset for the game, and have what fun you can. It is easy for any gamer to take a game too seriously, that's what people do.

Fly Casual is a nice thought, but it means different things to different people and because of such ends up lost in translation. I would say stick to the old adage of treat people as you'd want to be treated, and you'll get as close to the feeling of fly casual as you can, at least from a certain point of view.