Sign in to follow this  
colinw94

Have we forgotten how to fly casual?

People that want to compete, will always want to win.  I am with you.  I want to fly casual and just have fun.  More power to the power games, but I just want to have a little fun moving plastic ships around a 3x3 play mat.

To paraphrase a ridiculously naive sentiment: Be the Change you want in the World.

If you want the forums to have a certain tone, then POST in that tone. Don't complain about what other people are posting if you're not doing anything yourself. If enough people feel the same way you do, then they'll respond and we'll have healthier forums.

If you want more comedy, then it's far better for everyone concerned to create some of your own rather than tell other people that they're not being funny enough.

That said, people can be intolerant asses, and they shouldn't be. Some could stand to lighten up, as you suggest. But telling them to do it won't make them do it. They have to decide to do it for themselves (and it does happen, sometimes). There are things that are more important in life than what upgrades you put on an E-Wing, but that's all subjective and you won't change any minds with a simple forum post. However you might make some people smile with a well timed Ewok joke...

Edited by Sethis

I think the biggest problem is 'SOME' people think "fly casual" is synonymous with "you should lose to me"

If we were able to nip that at the bud, then everyone else I've played understands it. Asteroids get bumped, dice rolls are ****, triggers get forgotten, the objective is to win and have the fun of the game doing it.

When someone suggests that because I'm playing a list that isn't deliberately gimped against the meta or a list that uses a Tier 1 ship isn't flying casual then I get angry.

When someone suggests that even though I asked them for triggers several times or asked that they were sure that's their choice of action and then when it turns out foul and I deny them taking it back isn't flying casual then I get angry.

Edited by Kael Hate

I think you should not over-generalize. Being competitive does not mean one doesn't have fun playing the game, or that one is against off-topic threads on a forum or anything else. Being competitive is just rising to the challenge of outflying your opponent, that's it. No drama, no "I'm better than you" attitude, just ships on a starfield and a set of rules.

To me, a big part of the problem lies with people that are only focused on the bleeding edge of competitive meta. For instance, if a ship cost one point too much it can apparently mean 'The end of life as we know it! '. Here's the thing though, most players will never reach the level of play where those small differences matter, nor do most people want to be that competitive. Just about everyone want to win, it's Winning At All Cost (WAAC) players than can be tedious.

I wonder,

Are the serious gamers, with their serious lists and their serious distain for bacon threads; well were they never good at sports as a child?

Were they the awkward social outcasts looked down on because they were different?

As a result they feel they have something to prove. Perhaps it lifts their shattered egos to pull others down. Perhaps they're so miserable they cannot enjoy what's supposed to be a hobby. For them it's their chance to prove that they're winners in life.

Then one day they see the high school sports team. Or the father who was never proud. Heads held high they show off their tournament win and...

Laughter. That's all they get. Laughter. Because in the grand scheme of things this is just men playing with toys.

I say men because the women who comment, that I've read, don't complain, tear down or try to prove whose got the biggest.... you get the idea.

Please pity those whose only reason to feel good about themselves is that they're serious gamers with the best lists. Pity them, because this is all they've got.

To me, a big part of the problem lies with people that are only focused on the bleeding edge of competitive meta. For instance, if a ship cost one point too much it can apparently mean 'The end of life as we know it! '. Here's the thing though, most players will never reach the level of play where those small differences matter, nor do most people want to be that competitive. Just about everyone want to win, it's Winning At All Cost (WAAC) players than can be tedious.

Also over-generalizing. I'd think Paul Heaver is in the category of "people focused on the bleeding edge of competitive meta", yet you don't see him around here announcing the end of the world. Just call them whiners and be done with it (maybe whining at all cost?)

Hey, Hey you over there! You're having the wrong kind of fun!

Seriously, this casual vs competitive thing pisses me off. Some people really enjoy playing at a high level and analyzing the game to come up with new and better strategies. THIS IS FUN FOR THEM. I'm not a tourney player, but I do understand the mind set. Very few high level players post a lot on forums like this, for obvious reasons. What's left are internet tough guys coughjaminrexcoughcough.

Also over-generalizing. I'd think Paul Heaver is in the category of "people focused on the bleeding edge of competitive meta", yet you don't see him around here announcing the end of the world. Just call them whiners and be done with it (maybe whining at all cost?)

Good call, Winning should be replaced Whinning. :)

Seriously, this casual vs competitive thing pisses me off. Some people really enjoy playing at a high level and analyzing the game to come up with new and better strategies. THIS IS FUN FOR THEM. I'm not a tourney player, but I do understand the mind set. Very few high level players post a lot on forums like this, for obvious reasons. What's left are internet tough guys coughjaminrexcoughcough.

Thank you.

I was casually preparing for a tournament match where I know what my opponent and I are playing (the usual, dice odds, interesting ability chain triggers, positions, asteroids), and I just found out that I used to not be good at sports and was a social awkward person to boot, just because I am enjoying thinking about the game.

Hey, Hey you over there! You're having the wrong kind of fun! Seriously, this casual vs competitive thing pisses me off. Some people really enjoy playing at a high level and analyzing the game to come up with new and better strategies. THIS IS FUN FOR THEM. I'm not a tourney player, but I do understand the mind set. Very few high level players post a lot on forums like this, for obvious reasons. What's left are internet tough guys coughjaminrexcoughcough.

Fun is always good.

Nothing wrong with healthy competition.

But I have read some comments that started me wondering "what are they trying to prove".

Not a dig at those who enjoy competitive play. More disbelief at how some turn a fun forum into a bloodbath for no other reason than a joke, or somebody has a different list to what is ultra-super game winning.

Your comment is understandable, but only those who don't treat this as a fun hobby needed to take it personally. I know because when I was younger I was like that with 40K.

When I lost it wasn't me who sucked, it was the army was rubbish. What a loser! Then I discovered something that changed my life:

Friends

Women

and the realization that I really stank at 40K

Now I'm happy

Thank you.

I was casually preparing for a tournament match where I know what my opponent and I are playing (the usual, dice odds, interesting ability chain triggers, positions, asteroids), and I just found out that I used to not be good at sports and was a social awkward person to boot, just because I am enjoying thinking about the game.

Exactly, true cometative players don't whine about Fat Han/Phantoms/Decimators/AC Advanced(It'll happen trust me), they find a way to beat it. The people whining on the forums(and there's a difference between "how do I beat x" and "NERF X!"), are just that whiners and unintentional trolls. People always forget the rules of the internet, don't feed trolls, especially unintentional ones, they are just as bad.

Rex- I hear that a lot about 40k, not sure what it is about that game that attracts so many grognards.

Hey, Hey you over there! You're having the wrong kind of fun! Seriously, this casual vs competitive thing pisses me off. Some people really enjoy playing at a high level and analyzing the game to come up with new and better strategies. THIS IS FUN FOR THEM. I'm not a tourney player, but I do understand the mind set. Very few high level players post a lot on forums like this, for obvious reasons. What's left are internet tough guys coughjaminrexcoughcough.

Fun is always good.

Nothing wrong with healthy competition.

But I have read some comments that started me wondering "what are they trying to prove".

Not a dig at those who enjoy competitive play. More disbelief at how some turn a fun forum into a bloodbath for no other reason than a joke, or somebody has a different list to what is ultra-super game winning.

Your comment is understandable, but only those who don't treat this as a fun hobby needed to take it personally. I know because when I was younger I was like that with 40K.

When I lost it wasn't me who sucked, it was the army was rubbish. What a loser! Then I discovered something that changed my life:

Friends

Women

and the realization that I really stank at 40K

Now I'm happy

Tell me, when did you realise you didn't have anyone else you could look down on?

Edited by Tipperary

He also is a good sport that's allowed mistakes by the other guy to be corrected during tournament play, which according to some around here makes him a bad sport for not stridently following the rules.

It's easy to take things too seriously for some.

It also seems to me that insisting your opponent let you do something in the name of flying casual flies in the face of the whole concept.  If I make a mistake, it NEVER occurs to me to ask my opponent for a re-do.  I mentally berate myself, take it as a lesson learned, and move on.  I don't stop the game insisting I be allowed a do-over in the interest of fairness.  That's not flying casual either.

I wonder,

Are the serious gamers, with their serious lists and their serious distain for bacon threads; well were they never good at sports as a child?

Were they the awkward social outcasts looked down on because they were different?

As a result they feel they have something to prove. Perhaps it lifts their shattered egos to pull others down. Perhaps they're so miserable they cannot enjoy what's supposed to be a hobby. For them it's their chance to prove that they're winners in life.

Then one day they see the high school sports team. Or the father who was never proud. Heads held high they show off their tournament win and...

Laughter. That's all they get. Laughter. Because in the grand scheme of things this is just men playing with toys.

I say men because the women who comment, that I've read, don't complain, tear down or try to prove whose got the biggest.... you get the idea.

Please pity those whose only reason to feel good about themselves is that they're serious gamers with the best lists. Pity them, because this is all they've got.

Are you serious? This is loaded with dumb generalizations. Please pity people who don't think before they talk.

The only truly unhealthy aspect of this forum is not the childish bacon threads or the overly critical posts regarding the mathematical representation of a white K-turn, it is anonomous users posting thoughtless drivel to push their agendas by creating rifts between the supposed camps of players.

Edited by Rapture

Fly Casual means act like a mature human being and realize that not everyone shares your view point. And be okay with it.

It's okay to want different things from your game experience. It's not okay to project your desires onto other people or degrade them because they choose a different path.

Seriously, fly casual.

Play with the type of people who you enjoy. Fly however you want, just respect my want to do the same even if it isn't how you fly. Put off topic threads in the off topic forum. That's what it's there for. It's like listening to people who get bitched at for parking in No Parking zones. Wait a sec, is this off topic? ...

-Cal

Fly Casual means act like a mature human being and realize that not everyone shares your view point. And be okay with it.

It's okay to want different things from your game experience. It's not okay to project your desires onto other people or degrade them because they choose a different path.

Seriously, fly casual.

This! Bohrdumb, with just a few short sentences you manage to capture the core of Fly Casual. My hat is off to you sir.

Nothing wrong with having a casual attitude about playing the game and discussing the game.  But I don't see the correlation of how OT threads have to do with flying casual.  Besides they have their own board now anyways if you really want to do that.

Seriously, fly casual.

Huh, I always thought it meant "don't get too stressed about the game".

White-knuckle gaming isn't fun for anyone.   It's also NOT the same as competitive gaming.  You can be competitive without being stressed by the game, making yourself and your opponent unhappy.