Sign in to follow this  
pupecki

New player looking for guidance!

Hey all, I stumbled on x-wing a few days ago and am really interested in getting into the game! My question is, I plan on playing imperial and I am probably going to start out my collection with two of the core sets. What should I get after this to round out my force? If it helps my favorite ship is the tie interceptor and has been ever since Star Wars Galaxy!

After 2 core sets, get whatever you like!  If you want to round out 100 point lists, then get the Imperial Aces and any other rebel ship. 

...From there, the addiction will grow and it won't be long till you treat them like PokeMon and get one of each.  Then some you'll **OMGNEED** two of.  And then a few you'll get 3 of, and then you'll start thinking of a tie swarm and go buy 2 more core sets. 

It won't be too long until you spend your tax return and/or bonus on eBay to get 8 of each ship, because EPIC!  And why not?  Just tap that 401k and get 8 of each ship now and save yourself the trouble.  :D

After 2 core sets, get whatever you like!  If you want to round out 100 point lists, then get the Imperial Aces and any other rebel ship. 

...From there, the addiction will grow and it won't be long till you treat them like PokeMon and get one of each.  Then some you'll **OMGNEED** two of.  And then a few you'll get 3 of, and then you'll start thinking of a tie swarm and go buy 2 more core sets. 

It won't be too long until you spend your tax return and/or bonus on eBay to get 8 of each ship, because EPIC!  And why not?  Just tap that 401k and get 8 of each ship now and save yourself the trouble.  :D

Even in this catastrophied state, you've payed less money than the average player of 40K, so you're still good :)

If you're playing imperial I would recommend a tie interceptor, the imperial aces, and the lambda shuttle first. After that you should look into the decimator, the firesprays and the phantom and defender. And on a side note just incase you didn't know howlrunner comes with the tie fighter expansion and she has one of the best abilities on the imperial side. Overall though I'd just buy whatever i think id like most anyways cause the imperials are all cool, manuverable ships.

If you find a slave 1 or falcon for retail price, get it. They are very hard to come by right now. But don't ever pay above retail price, stuff will get restocked eventually.

The tie advanced is currently very weak but will be getting a BIG boost, they say in 2-4 months, probably more like 6-8. So either don't get one yet because it won't be good for a while, or get one now before there is a run on them.

Something you should know about the Empire, they're much less forgiving than the Rebels, they rely on maneuvering for survival, whereas the rebels are gennerally less maneuverable but can take a few more hits before being destroyed. The learning curve is a bit steeper, and it can be frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it, the Empire is really fun.

Cool.  Get a TIE Interceptor and TIE Fighter and play Soontir Fel + Mini-Swarm (Howlrunner+some TIE Fighters).

You could also get Imperial Aces, which has Push the Limit, a great card for Interceptors.

Thee really is no right or wrong answer for what to buy next. After two Core sets they sky is the limit. Many times Rebel ships will have an upgrade card that you will want, so you will end up with some rebels even if you never plan to fly them. I strongly suggest heading to your local game shop and see if thier are some regulars who play there. Introduce yourself and tell them your interested in playing and they will let you borrow a few ships to try out. This will let you try before you buy and you can make a better educated purchase.

P.S. Welcome to a whole new world, Enjoy!

Right now xwing stuff is in short supply and some of the offers on Amazon are just outrageous. They have an interceptor priced at 50 dollars but imperial aces priced at 24. There are some pilots unique to just the interceptor expansion but most of them also come in the imperial aces pack. Same goes for the awing and rebel aces pack. So just keep that in mind when looking to buy. Also supply will start to pick up soon so if you can hold out for a little you will save a bunch.

You can get an Interceptor off ebay for around $25.

Like others I would recommend 2x Starter, Tie expansion, Interceptor expansion and Imperial Aces. My personal favorite Imp lists can be made with these. Wait on the Advanced until the restock.

It's a pretty well balanced game, so unless you're doing serious tournamenting I'd get what you like the look of. For TIE interceptors you'll want Imperial Aces (the expansion for the TIE interceptor) as well as the basic Interceptor pack.

Oh, and don't buy over RRP. It encourages people to buy up all the stock (X-wing has supply issues) and then profiteer when things are out of stock.

Edited by TIE Pilot

So, not sure if anyone knew this.  Go to Barnes and Noble's webpage, search for the item you want and select it.  Then go to store pick-up, and fill out the required contact info.  Within an hour they can tell you if they have it there.  I am not just talking about on the shelf, I am talking about in their back stock room.  A lady called me and told me yesterday they had: YT-2400s, Decimators, A, X, Y, and B-Wings, Tie Defenders, Interceptors, an Advance, and Phantoms...  

If you have a Barnes within reasonable distance.  They will hold the item for you at the counter, just let them know your name and they will grab it for you.  I just acquired a Defender, Y, X, and Advance the other day this way.