Sign in to follow this  
icestormganon

Idea: Thermite Torpedo

So, I've been kicking around some ideas for unique upgrades for an Old Republic themed star fighter version of X-Wing.  I actually plan on posting a separate topic for that one of these days, however, I thought the idea for this torpedo/missile would be nice to have in regular X-Wing. 

Anyways, Galactic Star Fighter has a missile called the Thermite Torpedo.  It has a long lock time and only average damage, but it can be fired from extremely long range compared to other missiles/torpedoes in the game.  I was thinking of how that would translate into X-Wing and I thought about the range ruler for epic.

I'm not sure how well that would work in a regular 3x3 match, but it seems like it would be fun for epic matches.  Perhaps epic only?  4 red dice.  Range 3-5.  Only thing I'm really conflicted on is how the target lock would be achieved. 

Thermite is ignited by heat, it goes through an exothermic oxidation-reduction reaction. I'm not certain, but I think that means it still requires oxygen, which may be hard to do in the vacuum of space.

Yup, I'm that guy now.

But we can hear starfighter engines, lasers and explosions in space.
Sigh, I know, someone should fix that. Edited by s1n

Thermite is ignited by heat, it goes through an exothermic oxidation-reduction reaction. I'm not certain, but I think that means it still requires oxygen, which may be hard to do in the vacuum of space.

Yup, I'm that guy now.

But we can hear starfighter engines, lasers and explosions in space.

Sihn, I know, someone should fix that.

Space battles are more exciting with sounds.

As for Thermite itself... does it really matter how it works?  We have quite a few other weapons in Star Wars that don't make sense scientifically.  I just used this name because it's in the universe already, I just want to know what people's thoughts are on a range 5 ordinance.

Yup, I'm that guy now.

The oxygen is supplied entirely by the iron oxide. It'll work in space.

That being said, a thermite torpedo if it actually used thermite, isn't the best idea.

Edit **** auto correct. Although a termite missile would be funny.

Edited by Koshinn

Yup, I'm that guy now.

Actually, the reason that Thermite is so potent is that it uses an internal oxygenator, rather than relying on an external one.

Thermite will still go off in a vial of noble gas.

Moreover, this is Star Wars. Explosions make sounds in space in this universe, remember?