Sign in to follow this  
KILODEN

Alright, FFG, how about a new flight path game for us?

I thought about doing a homebrew Battle Star Galactica, and found that there were a few more ships added in BSG Online. There's enough for both factions to have 3 fighters, 1 support ship and 1 huge ship (iirc). There's lots of Colonial pilots to use, but since the Cylons were mostly the new biotech Raiders or the Toasters on the older ships, there's not as many option there. The other issue is that the maneuvering in BSG isn't like Star Wars, ships can rotate 180 and continue with their forward momentum to travel backwards, or turn and strafe while moving sideways, I think this might need hexagonal bases with nubs on all sides. And last, each ship has a large number of missiles and torpedoes, some even carry nuclear warheads, so you'd need a realy solid ordnance mechanic, because it seems to play a larger part in that universe than they do in Star Wars. 

I like the idea of a navel combat game, maybe with firing arcs out the sides, lining up broadsides

Navel combat? AWESOME!

Belly buttons lining up to broadside each other?

I think that's just the kind of thing the OP is after.

Bah, my horrible grasp of the English language strikes again. But you know what, F it, belly buttons ahoy!!

I have designed my own flightpath game as I am pretty sure FFG will not do it, even though it is Star Wars based.  Please avert your eyes if Episode I causes you pain.

002_zps53d0f3aa.jpg

003_zps2800c5c5.jpg

I currently have rules for:

23 unique pod-racers

10 Skill upgrades

8 Dirty Trick upgrades

20 different Modifications

Sample use of multiple maneuver templates:

004_zps08ecafdb.jpg

If anyone would like to see a draft of the rules I may be able to share by PM.

ObiWonka,

have you not heard of robotech tactics?

it just released

I got in on the kickstarter and have a butt load of miniatures with more coming.

I backed it too and wish I hadn't. They've delivered to the US and screwed over the rest of the world's backers. It's hit retail and it'll probably be months before backers get their pledges :(

WW2: http://www.aresgames.it/games/ww2-wings-of-glory-line

Naval broadsides: http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-of-glory-line

Be interesting to see BSG fighter combat in the flight path system but there's a total of hmm 5 ships for the Colonials and 3 for the Cylons :( not really enough to make more than 1 wave out of. (Mk2,7,Stealth Vipers, unarmed and missile version of the Raptor, Old 3 toaster crew Raider, crewless Raider, Heavy Raider)

I would love a flight path car wars themed game.  Still have all my original stuff for that game.  Got the fellas at the club to have a go a few months ago.  Great fun but the system and rules seem very old and creaky now.

However to be great the game would still need to allow the user to upgrade and design cars as that was half of the fun.

I would love a flight path car wars themed game.  Still have all my original stuff for that game.  Got the fellas at the club to have a go a few months ago.  Great fun but the system and rules seem very old and creaky now.

However to be great the game would still need to allow the user to upgrade and design cars as that was half of the fun.

Hey yeah, you're right! Since FFG is buddies with GW perhaps they can revive the old Dark Future game.

Dark_future_core.jpg

1313296939_ba9c5b1694.jpg

I'm all for FFG using the Flight Path system with other IPs as long as they keep to the original spirit of the game. (i.e. dog fight style space battles). I'm not crazy about the way WizKids has tried to shoehorn capital ship combat and medieval fantasy battles into the Flight Path system mechanics. Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and Twilight Imperium all sound like great options.

Unfortunately, I don't think my wallet could keep up with another expandable miniatures game. I'm already balking at the thought of buying into Star Wars: Armada, even though the game looks really cool.

The problem with quidditch is you can keep scoring points all you want, but if the other team grabs the golden snitch they win.

So a smart gamer will spend his points on the best seeker they could get, followed by some mean beaters to go after the other team's seeker, and have the rest of the team fly interferance, not much bothering with scoring, or defending the goal. Obviouslythe victory conditions need work.

Edited by Robin Graves

The problem with quidditch is you can keep scoring points all you want, but if the other team grabs the golden snitch they win.

Yeah, quidditch was almost a really well designed fictional sport, she just had to put in a star position for Harry to fill.

Interestingly, mantic games' dreadball strikes me very much like a ground based version of quidditch without the snitch or seeker. 3 goal posts, player positions match up well.

Swinging this back around to FFG, a miniatures sport game of some sort would work really well with the flight path system, I think. Although you would probably want to completely redesign the maneuver templates.

That's not completely correct.  They score 150 points and end the match.  They extremely likely to win the match but are not guaranteed to win it.  The opposing team could score enough goals to trounce you regardless of who catches the snitch.  Plus Beaters and Bludgers exist and cause problems.