Sign in to follow this  
daddystabz

Rules questions/clarifications

I have a couple of questions, 1 of which is related to the character sheet.

1) When you roll a save to see if you die or not when you roll your defensive stat in that category what represents negative dice in your pool? Do you add any negative dice and if so, where do they come from/what is represented by them?

2) What do the letters under the Trauma section of the character sheet refer to? The "1D, 1W, 1M?" I saw nothing under the Trauma section in the rulebook for what they would represent.

2) What do the letters under the Trauma section of the character sheet refer to? The "1D, 1W, 1M?" I saw nothing under the Trauma section in the rulebook for what they would represent.

This one seems to refer to the Severity Codes of 1 (one Day), 2 (One Week) and 3 (One Month). The explanation and mention to the character sheet is on p 33, first column, first few paragraphs.

Hmmm. Doesn't seem to say. I think your positive die is for the stat. I don't see any notes for negative dice in specific.

I could see two ways of doing this:

1) essentially, one die and one roll - you either make it (and live) or don't (and die);

2) add negative dice for each trauma. Since the line's complete, that would be three negative dice (to a single positive), which seems overly difficult.

Option one strikes me as a final "Save vs. Death".

Bear in mind I only picked up the rules a few hours ago, and just skimming them a bit.

My understanding was that you roll a test check.  Say your Vitality was X (and you had been injured nigh to death), you would roll X dice.  If any were less than or equal to X, you survive (although you may wish you hadn't with the extra trauma!). 

Looking at page 18, I don't think you get a number of dice equal to your Characteristic. A Test starts with a single positive die, and the number you're shooting for is equal to or less than the Characteristic value of X.

Positive Features, and various stuff can add positive dice. Characteristics don't (unless I'm missing something or a reference).

My understanding was that you roll a test check.  Say your Vitality was X (and you had been injured nigh to death), you would roll X dice.  If any were less than or equal to X, you survive (although you may wish you hadn't with the extra trauma!). 

Looking at page 18, I don't think you get a number of dice equal to your Characteristic. A Test starts with a single positive die, and the number you're shooting for is equal to or less than the Characteristic value of X.

Positive Features, and various stuff can add positive dice. Characteristics don't (unless I'm missing something or a reference).

That is another thing that confused me. The game starts by saying you always add 1 positive die by default for any test and then you add additional dice for every feature or situational factor that positively affects your task roll. Then throughout the rest of the book it does NOT add 1 positive die automatically. It simply adds positive dice for features, situational modifiers, etc.

Did anyone else notice this too?

I didn't notice or read it that way.

Page 18, 2nd paragraph is where it first starts talking about assembling a dice pool:

"For every task you attempt, you always start with a dice pool comprising a single positive die. You and the GM then add a number of positive and negative dice ... "

Maybe you're misreading or misremembering that paragraph to say start by adding a single positive die? Or, if you could point to that reference that's tripping you up, that could help.

Yes, I've read through the rules now a few times and I also understand it to mean that for every test you automatically get 1 positive dice for the characteristic being used. The characteristic's rating only serves as a target number for success.

After that, you add positive dice for features, situations, tools, and sometimes weapons. The amount of positive dice you add for a weapon depends on its type and some weapons don't add positive dice at all because they are difficult to use.

The system looks to be very streamlined and simple to use. I can't wait to get the first game in so that I can get a feel for it. I imagine that after awhile, more can be added to give players further examples for positive features, negative features, and types of tests, etc.

I really love the scenarios too, and I can't wait to customize them for my location in Gilbert, AZ. I think I will start with the first scenario and make a PC of myself. All the other PCs will be at my house, but I won't be home yet. Then, I will arrive at the house to meet everyone else after being attacked by a zombie. They will be faced with the choice of killing me or letting me live. Can't wait to see what they do!

I really love the scenarios too, and I can't wait to customize them for my location in Gilbert, AZ. I think I will start with the first scenario and make a PC of myself. All the other PCs will be at my house, but I won't be home yet. Then, I will arrive at the house to meet everyone else after being attacked by a zombie. They will be faced with the choice of killing me or letting me live. Can't wait to see what they do!

That's a really cool idea, you'll also get to see what the players really think of you;

"You killed the zombie James Brown!".... "What, he was a zombie!?"

They brought me to the hospital by the way. It didn't quite happen the way I thought it would. While everyone was at home around my dining room table, I was at the grocery store a mile away getting cat food when the meteors hit my neighborhood. They ended up taking a truck to go find me and when they did I was just leaving the parking lot after being attacked by a crazed lunatic who tried to bite me. I had scratches all over my arm and face and I wasn't feeling very well. They were suspicious, but they got me to the ER anyway. They love me.