Sign in to follow this  
DonKalypso

Tau Rogue Traders?

Hello, all, while I normally try to stick to Black Crusade, and I guess now DH2e, I recently stumbled upon and grabbed the Tau Character Guide for Rogue Trader.

My major question in regards to all of this, though, is: Is there anything stopping a Tau character from being one of the RT careers? I know they're meant to be Fire Warriors, but I'm wondering if they are prohibited from being Rogue Traders or Arch-militants, or the like.

I think part of it would depend on the class. If you had a Tau on your ship, and he or she was more an integrated crew member, rather than a party favor you keep around, I don't see anything wrong with one taking the Arms Militant, Seneshal, or Void Master, depending on their Caste. Rogue Trader depends on the feelings of your GM; if the class is open to multiple people in a group, even though only one will have the Warrant, and you like their selections, and accept that the Tau WON'T be the Warrant holder, it could maybe work. Astropath, Navigator, Explorator, and Missionary are all off, of course, for various fluff reasons.

As for the Tau equivalent of a Rogue Trader, I don't think that's how they expand. A Conclave would launch, led by a high-ranking Ethereal (he'd probably be the closest to a RT), and he would lead the Kor'O (Admiral), who would master the fleet to a new locale, the Shas'O (Commander) who would seize territory, or protect assets, the Por'O (Ambassador) who would cultivate converts among the native populations, and spread the good words of the Greater Good, and the Fio'O (Planner), who will maintain their equipment, and erect their structures on their new conquests, benefitting themselves, and their new auxillaries. Each of these highest ranked of their castes will be supported by numerous 'els, 'vres, 'uis, and 'las, and the group will do what Aun'Va, or Aun'Wei, depending on when this is, sent them out to accomplish. Certainly there are parallels to how a Rogue Trader, or even an arm of the Adeptus Terra, might go about this, but I think it would feel much different. Since the Tau, as individuals, do so little for their own benefit, much of what makes the Rogue Trader what they are would be absent. My opinion, at any rate. ;)

I'd say, depends on what your head canon looks like.

my group uses mostly 1e fluff with a bit of modern stuff thrown in (Tau, craftworld and dark Eldar, certain new aspects of the space marine culture so they're not just Terran marines from StarCraft, Chaos, Armageddon, 30k, etc, but most importantly reduced xenophobia and brutality) and some elements from rl and other sf that seemed fun, like Johnny Cash music still existing, old Terra faiths, shake n bake colonies, and so on. If you aren't going for straight modern fluff, and are having a slightly brighter twist to your 40k, sure! Especially if it's a Farsight Enclaves RT. Because Space Marines, intergalactic anime cows, and High (tech) Elves are cool enough without all grimdark all the time.

For straight up modern fluff you might be happier in an Only War style game with Tau instead of IG. If you insist on using RT, something like venkelos recommended, but a Farsight Air Caste Tau sent in the name of seeking out new allies and production facilities for the greater good at any cost, while the opportunity is also being used to direct what his or her superiors see as an unhealthy ambition in a direction that furthers the Greater Good. Refluff the explorator as an Earth Caste Tau and the human ship parts, give your PCs a compliment of Fire Warriors and XV-8s, and you're good to go. Good luck finding tolerant worlds to resupply your starship, though.

I'd say, depends on what your head canon looks like.

my group uses mostly 1e fluff with a bit of modern stuff thrown in (Tau, craftworld and dark Eldar, certain new aspects of the space marine culture so they're not just Terran marines from StarCraft, Chaos, Armageddon, 30k, etc, but most importantly reduced xenophobia and brutality) and some elements from rl and other sf that seemed fun, like Johnny Cash music still existing, old Terra faiths, shake n bake colonies, and so on. If you aren't going for straight modern fluff, and are having a slightly brighter twist to your 40k, sure! Especially if it's a Farsight Enclaves RT. Because Space Marines, intergalactic anime cows, and High (tech) Elves are cool enough without all grimdark all the time.

For straight up modern fluff you might be happier in an Only War style game with Tau instead of IG. If you insist on using RT, something like venkelos recommended, but a Farsight Air Caste Tau sent in the name of seeking out new allies and production facilities for the greater good at any cost, while the opportunity is also being used to direct what his or her superiors see as an unhealthy ambition in a direction that furthers the Greater Good. Refluff the explorator as an Earth Caste Tau and the human ship parts, give your PCs a compliment of Fire Warriors and XV-8s, and you're good to go. Good luck finding tolerant worlds to resupply your starship, though.

That's what having some allied humans onboard is good for. Also, they can be useful in the up-close and personal combat common to boarding actions.