Sign in to follow this  
GAThraawn

Using multiple of the same Unique Asset

The poorly named Unique Assets can be obtained in multiples, and some, such as the Old Journal and the Dog Sled, can be acquired in multiples. The FAQ is clear on this.

Can you use multiple actions on identically-named components in a single round? Can my two actions for the turn be to read my two Old Journals? And if I can, does this mean that two Dog Sleds go twice as fast as one?

Being able to read multiple books seems intuitive, but being able to ride two sleds at once does not, so I'm not certain how to rule. The base game is clear that you can only use each action once, but no distinction is made between only getting to use one action per distinct component, or one action per uniquely named components, because before now it was impossible to get two copies of the same card. Could you get out of Debt twice if it was possible to have 2? Could you cast two separate spells that had the same name, if that was possible? I don't know.

This isn't a comment on the rules, but on 'riding two sleds at once'.   If the rules allow using multiples of assets, then I would picture this as just having lots of spare dogs and sleds.   After all, you wouldn't actually be reading two books literally at the same time, and you wouldn't be travelling while researching or whatever either.   Your two actions represent what you can achieve over a period of time - there's no reason why that couldn't mean having your expedition be extra well-prepared allowing you to travel very quickly.

The rules don't really specify this, but I was wondering if it should be possible to have more than one copy of a Unique Asset? They are UNIQUE after all. Shouldn't that imply you can't have more than one copy, much like spells and conditions?

The rules don't really specify this, but I was wondering if it should be possible to have more than one copy of a Unique Asset? They are UNIQUE after all. Shouldn't that imply you can't have more than one copy, much like spells and conditions?

If the rules don't specify it, I wouldn't think that you'd be restricted against it. Especially since restrictions against duplicates are called out for other types of cards.

The term Unique Asset refers to the fact that each copy is separate from other copies with the same name. Dog Sled card A and Dog Sled card B are two "Unique" sets of cards while being named the same. Admittedly FFG isn't the best at how they word things, but I feel that they did a decent job here. Most of the other games that they produce had limits to the amounts of each copy a player can control, so if you had a .45 Automatic you couldn't have a second .45 Automatic. Be making each of the assets unique, it opens up more options for what a player can have. like Angelic Despot said, you use two teams of dogs and sleds to travel great distances in the tundra over a period of time. One almost has to immerse one's self into the world and be a sort of story teller with the way FFG makes their more "narrative" settings.

Julia is correct. There is an answer (though non-intuitive) in the thread about magical/physical resistance. :)

(PS...I don't know why this quote background is gray...but this is a quote from GAThraawn)

...about Unique Assets, and I received this response from Nikki Valens:

An investigator can use each component action no more than once per round. That is to say, he can use the “Action:” effect of each card once per round. If an investigator has two copies of the same component action, he may perform each of those actions once per round.

In your example, the investigator may use the action of both of his Dog Sled Unique Assets and/or both of his Old Journal Unique Assets in the same round.

Likewise, if your investigator and another investigator have the Detained Condition and are in the same space, you could perform the action of your own Detained Condition, and if successful, you could also perform the action of the other investigator’s Detained Condition in the same round.
Edited by Soakman

We have been playing that an investigator can only have one card of a certain name if it is a unique component. I thought it was in the rules some place, but we may have just instictly started playing it that way because it seems logical. It never hurt anyone and it seems to just be the thing at our table. :huh:

Edited by efiend

It's good to have it posted here so everyone can see the answer. But I wonder if you noticed that you were quoting me from the other thread? ;)

I did, but it was an indirect quote from FFG. I was at work and didn't have the time to find your username again. Sorry!