Sign in to follow this  
Sebastian Yorke

GM rant, leave yours here

For me personally I cant stand Rak Gul, Stysixis, and Kroot as the "plugged" in Xenos for RT...

I replaced them with Migo (from Lovecraft), Neogi (from D&D), Yautja (Predators), Trikreen (again D&D) instead - I was wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't like the Rak, Stys, or Kroo?

Funny enough I've aimed for a more "weird" than "action" oriented campaign fluff for me game; on that note I heard that the original warp had no association to Hell-like experience / things - rather it was more twilight zoney...

Morbid

I liked the Rak'Gol, or at least my players did, but I house-ruled boarding actions just because they were too easy to take on RAW, and it shouldn't be like that.  I did the same for Orks, though.  Those are 2 races that should be tough in any boarding action and aren't RAW.

I definitely ran a "Lovecraftian" universe.  I considered the Old Ones of Eldar myth as the Elder Gods, while daemons were renditions of Great Old Ones and Outer Gods ported over from old RQ sources.  A couple of the players immediately picked up on my use of the Elder Sign.  I even used the same names for my homegrown daemons.

The Byakhee, Flying Polyps, and Mi-Go all made appearances in my last RT game, and probably will in my next game.  I considered awakening the Great Race of Yith, but I didn't want adventures on Holy Terra.  I almost always used the Serpent People in darkity-dark D&D games.

My take on the Emperor is equally twisted and utterly non-canonical.  I snobbishly despise the Emperor as a paladin-figure.  In a universe full of evil he stands tall.

And, while I love Spelljammer, I wouldn't use Neogi and Umber Hulks even for comic relief, even though I used them as primary antagonists for Spelljammer.  Thri-kreen?  Meh.  Never used 'em period.

Your take on the Early Warp isn't a far cry from late-19th century concepts of the ether.  Interesting.

I liked the Rak'Gol, or at least my players did, but I house-ruled boarding actions just because they were too easy to take on RAW, and it shouldn't be like that.  I did the same for Orks, though.  Those are 2 races that should be tough in any boarding action and aren't RAW.

Orks are about the hardest you can find in Boarding actions: They get to substitute Intimidation for command, meaning they get to use Strength instead of Fellowship.

... and that lets them benefit from Unnatural Strength.

I've DMed 3 RT campaigns, played in 2 RT campaigns, +1 DeathWatch combo.

---
In all Six Instances, the PC Navigator has opened his 3rd eye immediately in combat.

---

Right next to allies, servants, other PCs, whatever.

--

DM: roll Initiative.

Nav: I open my 3rd eye.

DM: this affects everybody.

Nav: awesome.

DM: I mean friends as well.

Nav: Oh well then I'm facing away first.

DM: doesnt matter, it is AoE, reflects or something.

Nav. Okay.

=======

All Six Campaigns, All Six PC Navigators. Every Time.  

Emoticon_Sick.png

Edited by Egyptoid

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo but to be fair, I really liked the basic structure of the game: A mysterious auction, a treasure map that has to be pieced together, with mini-adventures and explorations all the while. 

I will admit, I hacked it to bits at the drop of a hat to give the players plenty of freedom. But...I kind of thought that's what everyone did with premades. 

ACTUAL RANT

One of my players bitched me out about how RT has "secondary" classes. Like, how some classes lead and other classes follow their orders. This annoyed me on three levels.

1) He was one of those "leaders." 

2) After every session, I talked to each player to make sure they were having fun - they were.

3) Most RPGs - and most RPG groups - have leaders and followers. Some people DO enjoy not having to worry about the overall picture, and prefer being told what short term goal they have to get done. Our seneshall character basically did that the entire campaign. The other players would plan, and then Sem would fade into the background, then show up again when the thing got done, with tea and crumpets for our Rogue Trader. 

I honestly prefer RT having a pre-determined "leader." If only because it cuts down on the "lets spend 5 hours arguing about what to do next" bit that a lot of games have...that way, they can move straight to the  "lets spend 5 hours PLANNING what we'll do next!"

I honestly prefer RT having a pre-determined "leader." If only because it cuts down on the "lets spend 5 hours arguing about what to do next" bit that a lot of games have...that way, they can move straight to the  "lets spend 5 hours PLANNING what we'll do next!"

I agree that having a leader just tends to make things smoother. That being said, this is more a matter of the group than the game. Even if the game has a "leader class", the group must still choose who gets to be it. Dedicated classes may support characters having leading roles, but in the end it all depends on how the player presents their character and what sort of background they come up with. :)

Yeah, I had a player go full sperglord on me, too, when I told him that, ICly, yes, it is expected for characters to usually follow the orders of their superiors(emphasis mine; expectations don't necessarily mean it happens that way, but I never even got to that). Couldn't even get a word in anymore, it was just ***** ***** ***** until I told him to just leave and not come back. That was my first rogue trader game. It never left the planning stage because I was like "**** this ****" myself at that point.

This was our group's navigator, btw, who was heavily noble and could probably just tell the rogue trader "No, this is stupid" at any point, due to his station, his impeccable lineage and his irreplacability.

power struggles suck yeah, but my usual big problem is side trackers. players who think they need to stay behind or split up or find the most complicated time consuming way to do everything, slowing down the entire group. I always try to give as many hints as I can that its a bad idea or just not to do it without just saying "no" (DMs dont do that) but the side tracker is always also a master at justifying why a side tracking needs to happen

side trackers.

Oddly enough, I enjoy "side trackers."  I'm actually quite used to it too due to Shadow Run having it's hackers and mages having those 'out-of-body' experiences.  Atleast in RT and DH, I now have an avenue to get them into trouble once in awhile, and force the other group to deviate from the main plan to bail them out.  Or just narrate there actions, having them make a few rolls, and later join up with the main group when the s*** hits the fan, possibly saving the day.  It's all on how you want to play it. 

P.S.  I liked LotE too.  :D  If mostly for the fluff and the NPC's.

I am currently liking LotE as well, but along with last post, difficult to try keeping a railroaded adventure in line with those side trackers. Most current situation was dross. everyone started their 50km walk to the nexus after a little local exploration to nearby wrecks etc, while the explorator spent their entire walk on the ship, repairing crash damage, trying to fly it to the group with an NPC pilot, crashing again, repairing, flying crashing. etc. until the group finally said what I wanted to. just walk already.

in the process he looked up guncutter and found out it can be used as a skimmer and I couldnt think of any possible way they WOULDNT be able to just skim it all the way there besides that his pilot passed out with a concussion on the last crash and he didnt have the skill to pilot it. seems having a skimmer would have changed everything so glad he didnt figure that out one crash earlier

I've DMed 3 RT campaigns, played in 2 RT campaigns, +1 DeathWatch combo.

---

In all Six Instances, the PC Navigator has opened his 3rd eye immediately in combat.

---

Right next to allies, servants, other PCs, whatever.

--

DM: roll Initiative.

Nav: I open my 3rd eye.

Nav: awesome.

Nav: Oh well then I'm facing away first.

DM: doesnt matter, it is AoE, reflects or something.

Nav. Okay.

=======

All Six Campaigns, All Six PC Navigators. Every Time.  

Sounds like something I would say:

Me as Nav: awesome.

Me: How many XP do I get for them?

corruption points, and  minus xps

what? I love those, nothing is more fun than to give out corruption points. Usually it is because of something awesome that has happened and I get to narrate their dread and terror. Minus exp is something I never do but often jokingly threaten with :D

Mid-game, a friend from work arrives at your house, says she wants to play. Great!

Do you know anything about the setting or ever played anything similar? -No.

Is that ok if I handle you a pre-made character of your choosing, so you can have a test game to see if you like it? -No, gibe new sheet.

Wait, who's that other fella at my door? -My bf, gibe him clean sheet too.

Well, let me see who can teach you rules and help create the sheet so I can continue to GM, it's quite complex... Who wants 500xp per sheet? (Explorator vonlunteers)

3 hours in (lvl 2.5 sheets), done. Explorator is back in-game.

1h of actual gameplay later and "Oh, we are going home, bye."

WHAT THE ACTUAL *****.

Mid-game, a friend from work arrives at your house, says she wants to play. Great!

Is that ok if I handle you a pre-made character of your choosing, so you can have a test game to see if you like it? -No, gibe new sheet.

Well, let me see who can teach you rules and help create the sheet so I can continue to GM, it's quite complex... Who wants 500xp per sheet? (Explorator vonlunteers)

WHAT THE ACTUAL *****.

......I think somebody bout to get shivved here. *menacing eye twitch*

Hired freebooter-mercs defending an allied RT's crippled vessel, ram an enemy eldar dragon ship.

Assload of wraithguard counter-attack ensues and coupled with horrible rolls, Orks cant detach. Request help. (sounds ridiculous considering bonuses and penalties to Orks/Eldars, but imagine some real sh*tty rolls on the ork side)

Rogue Trader character (player) is indisposed, temporarily away from the game.

XO -> Navigator.

Navigator: "Ok, let's take the Space Marines we found in stasis and sharkboat-them into the mess to help the orks. Once they deal with the situation, we can shoot at the dragon ship and destroy both ships. That will be one less eldar ship, less mercs to pay when this is over and no space marines to bother us with imperial rules until we go back to imperial space."

Luckily the RT showed up 15m later and in time to stop this madness, this was her expression:

wat.jpg

Edited by Sebastian Yorke

To be fair, that's a pretty big warning sign...

It's always worth to consider "initiating" new players into the hobby of P&P, but impulse interest has a very high rate of failute. :(

Navigator: "Ok, let's take the Space Marines we found in stasis and sharkboat-them into the mess to help the orks. Once they deal with the situation, we can shoot at the dragon ship and destroy both ships. That will be one less eldar ship, less mercs to pay when this is over and no space marines to bother us with imperial rules until we go back to imperial space."

I like to imagine what they would've told the Marines.

"Morning boys, would you mind helping a bunch of Orks kill some Eldar?"

That+s+sound+like+heresy+_b3a630426e1e13

Edited by Lynata

WHAT THE ACTUAL *****.

......I think somebody bout to get shivved here. *menacing eye twitch*

Well, at least the explorator was happy for the 1k exp.

It's always worth to consider "initiating" new players into the hobby of P&P, but impulse interest has a very high rate of failute. :(

RT: would you mind helping orks kill eldar?

Blood angel: NO.

RT: How about help necrons kill tyranids?

Blood angel: OMG YES! Lead us to our shiney skeletal buddies!

:D

RT: would you mind helping orks kill eldar?

Blood angel: NO.

RT: How about help necrons kill tyranids?

Blood angel: OMG YES! Lead us to our shiney skeletal buddies!

:D

In our case, they were dealing with inquisition-aligned Black Templars.