Sign in to follow this  
gylvan2002

MoM and Forsaken Lore?

I am excited about the new expansion, but i am a little concerned about all the new rules and effects.  I had to get away from Arkham horror because it just became too bulky and cumbersome.  I hated to have to mix them in and out, it was a HUGE timesink. Is this game becoming that?  Or can these expansions be played together?  I don't see anything saying it can't, but the good part about Eldrich horror is that it was the same feel, but MUCH faster.  I hope it doesn't return to that.  

I've always played Mountains of Madness with Forsaken Lore in. No probs with that. You simply have thicker decks, which is good. While in Arkham you simply piled up everything, Eldritch has quite a lot of cards that are AO-related, so that you simply change decks when changing AO to fight against and this keeps the game rather linear.

I don't think Eldritch Horror will become "overloaded" as Arkham Horror did.  I think that FFG did an awesome job with the elegant rules and intuitive mechanics.  

And as Julia said, having separate decks for each AOs will just let you mix everything in and enjoy.  No more filtering cards out before and after each sessions.

I just received MoM and i''ll open it later this evening (after I crack open my complete Darkest Night set and wipe the ash out of every tokens :P).  Can't wait to see what's in there!

Its still good, but the asset deck and the sheer number of different decks with MoM is approaching too much.  14 not counting overlord decks.

This game can always use more location cards though.  Even with FL, we tend to cycle through the major locale decks once a playthrough. 

What I find awesome on FFG's part is that they made the new board "optional".  You only use it in certain conditions, not in every games.

They also added a bit more of everything to thicken the existing decks which is awesome (mythos, asset and artifact).

The new investigators and AOs are all loking great, love them!

Focus tokens are not that hard to implement and should be used in every games.

All in all, a wonderful expansion to an already amazing game!

Oh good, so MoM DOES include new cards for the old decks that aren't all Antarctica related? I have yet to have a huge problem with running out of cards (especially not with FL in there) but I am getting rather tired of visiting the city where no man can kill a cat every single game.

Yup, basically all the decks had some extra cards arriving. The only decks that didn't receive attention (but clearly this is logic) are decks specific to old Ancient Ones. Hence, no cards for Azathoth, but yes, new OWs, new encounters, nex Expedition encounters (the expedition is also hitting new cities!) and so on

Yup, basically all the decks had some extra cards arriving. The only decks that didn't receive attention (but clearly this is logic) are decks specific to old Ancient Ones. Hence, no cards for Azathoth, but yes, new OWs, new encounters, nex Expedition encounters (the expedition is also hitting new cities!) and so on

As I understood new expedition like in Rome for example you only use in the case when you play with antarctica board righy?

As I understood new expedition like in Rome for example you only use in the case when you play with antarctica board righy?

I dont' believe this is the case as the expeditions aren't in side-board locations. However, you may need the artifacts or some unique assets from the expansion. So if you keep those out of your games (using only base or base + FL), I'm not sure if you will be able to use those expeditions.  That being said, there is no reason not to keep all of the new cards in their appropriate decks. 

I don't believe any have anything to do with the sideboard. All sideboard assets are "unique assets" that I'm assuming you can only acquire from the sideboard... For example, the Dog Sled.

You should be able to mix everything in other than the antartica sideboard clues and the gates that appear there as well.

Glaurung,

the novellette written by Lovecraft refers to the Miskatonic expedition to the South Pole. Cards in Mountains of Madness refer to that expedition and what happened to its members, but have nothing to do with the "other" expedition for which you resolve Expedition encounters in Eldritch Horror. I think there are some misunderstandings stemming from the presence of another expedition to the Antarctica, that gives a lot of theme to the expansion, but actually doesn't contribute cards to the "expedition deck"

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by Julia

Okay, I was holding off on this expansion for similar reasons, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Basically, if I have this right, the extra board only comes into play if you have a specific prelude and/or specific AO?  Otherwise, it's just more "stuff" for the game?  You don't have this extra board floating around every game, only once in a while?

Also, I guess I wonder about the Prelude cards.  They seem neat, but there are only 6 of the things and the only one I can find anything about is the Doomsayer.  I guess my concern is some sort of oddity with them since I can't find out anything about them, though I guess just not using them is an option (though I get the impression they sort of counteract the new stuff like focus/whatever assets/etc).

I mean I LOVE "more stuff" type expansions for the most part.  Variety is great as long as we don't go full Talisman and you end up with decks that stand two feet tall and can't be really shuffled by human beings.  Extra boards and whatnot are fine once in a while, but can get old really fast, especially if they start piling up.  It sounds like neither of these is really an issue?  

The expansion was thought to give players more option, but not to increase complexity (= number of the things you have to track) UNLESS you want more complexity to be added. Hence:

- the board is not compulsory. It enter plays when you play with one of the new AOs (Rise of the Elder Things), or with one of the Prelude Cards (Doomsayers from Antarctica). If neither of these two conditions is checked, the board (and all the encounters related to the board) stays in the box. So, it's up to you: wanna play Antarctica? Then you have the choice to play with RotET or to decide you want to resolve that Prelude card

- Preludes: there are Preludes cards coming with the expansion (and possibly other expansions will add more, or at least that's my hope). Preludes do not add complexity (fiddly bits to keep track of) but different starting conditions. For instance, one should have you start with two defeated investigators on the board; another will affect this or that and advance doom, and so on. I cannot enter the details because I still have to see the final version of the game, but the idea is the one I explained you. If you don't want to play Preludes, you keep those in the box.

- assets, spells, OW encounter cards, expedition encounter cards, general encounters in cities, wilderness or sea cards are to be added to the respective decks; new conditions follow the same route, which means that all the other components enrich the existing decks without becoming overwhelming; some of them stack and trigger each other, which is fun but doesn't add complexity

- a personal note on the expansion: it's (strange) eons better than Forsaken Lore. Forsaken Lore is a good expansion, but adds too randomness in the encounters and sometimes present an excessive difficulty in the checks to pass tests, so that, in the end, it increased the luck factor on the game. Mountains of Madness allows EH to be again a great strategy game where advanced planning often allows you to play a great adventure. As many of you know, I don't particularly like Eldritch, but Mountains of Madness made me love the game.

Hope this covers your doubts :)

My 2 cents: FL definitely completes the base EH game.  Looking at MoM this shows: the new AOs get 24 research encounters  and 2x the necessary mystery cards just like the base games AOs when you include FL.   However, it must be noted that  FL included elements (e.g. poison, Lost in time and Space, research encounters that didn't grant clues) that made the overall game more difficult and didn't add in anything to offset that increase in difficult. 

Going into my first game with MoM (just yesterday) I was wondering which way the difficulty would go (for what it's worth, I was also playing with FL - I'll never not include FL going forward).  After completing the game it seems that the game seems balanced again.  For example, the addition of Focus helps players without being two overpowered - bank up for re-rolls when needed but you can't store too many.  I like the new tasks - the payoffs that I glanced off seem to make them worthwhile. 

With MoM, Eldritch Horror is really starting to show it's potential.  (Aside: a comparison could be made to Arkham Horror at this point - the base game alone had some issues and didn't really show it's potential until Dunwich Horror came out and included mechanics such as Gate Bursts, Injuries and Madnesses)

My question regards MoM and Yig. Yig's sheet specifies to set aside 6 Cultist monsters at the start of the game. When FL was released, 6 cultists encompassed all cultist monsters, including the new ones added by FL. Now, MoM adds more cultist monsters to the game, so I was wondering if Yig's sheet should be revised to "set aside all cultist monsters" as opposed to "set aside 6 cultist monsters?"

Edited by jeremyj621

My question regards MoM and Yig. Yig's sheet specifies to set aside 6 Cultist monsters at the start of the game. When FL was released, 6 cultists encompassed all cultist monsters, including the new ones added by FL. Now, MoM adds more cultist monsters to the game, so I was wondering if Yig's sheet should be revised to "set aside all cultist monsters" as opposed to "set aside 6 cultist monsters?"

If the intent was All Cultists, I would think the card would say "All", instead of specifying a number.

Thanks for the feedback.  It's a good point that FL did kind of shift the difficulty, so adding things like Focus is probably a good thing for balance.

Basically it's a "more stuff" expansion, with the option for extra cool things like Antarctica, but you can easily play without that.  Best of both worlds imo.

Edit: As far as Yig, I could see playing it either way.  If nothing else taking all the Cultists out will help prevent accidentally tossing too many back in the cup (which I could see happening constantly and then people counting the number on the board, trying to remember if they were drawn or placed by Reckoning, etc).

As far as balance, it wont really make any difference most of the time since stray cultists aren't likely to trigger Yig's Doom ability, though it could happen once in a while.

Edited by ShivaX

If the intent was All Cultists, I would think the card would say "All", instead of specifying a number.

This does make sense. I'm sure FFG foresaw adding more cultists with future expansions, so they would have specified "all" instead of a set number.

Still not seeing any reasons why you should set aside 6 and not 5 or 4. 6 were all the cultists available at the moment; possibly cultists can be added in further expansions simply because there was space on the punchboard. My suggestion is to ask directly FFG via the Rules Questions option on the site.