Sign in to follow this  
flatlander38

Question about transporting and assault

Hello, I went through the forum for an answer for this, but did not find it.

Also, if I have a squad loaded in a transport half track or truck, at the beginning of my turn, I can move the transport to a hex beside an enemy squad. Then I can activate the fresh squad in the transport and exit the transport, using 2 movement points and then assault the enemy squad? Or must I start the turn already out of the transport and then be fresh for the assault. This would seem more likely. But I can't find something explicitly saying so. I am looking at page 12 of the rule book for basic game. The movement examples on page 21 shows how to unload a squad and move, but I could not find the reference to moving in transport and exiting to assault.

Thanks in advance.

flatlander37 said:

Also, if I have a squad loaded in a transport half track or truck, at the beginning of my turn, I can move the transport to a hex beside an enemy squad. Then I can activate the fresh squad in the transport and exit the transport, using 2 movement points and then assault the enemy squad?  

It is my understanding of the rules that as long as you do not use more than 3 Movement Points (or 4 if an officer is part of the squad), you can assault. What the movement points are used for is irrelevant. That makes for nice mechanized tactics and greatly increases the usefulness of transport vehicles, especially half-tracks.

flatlander37 said:

Then I can activate the fresh squad in the transport and exit the transport, using 2 movement points and then assault the enemy squad?  

p.20:  Fresh squads inside a vehicle may be activated by any action type...

So further to that, I am staring at my board just having done a transport and assault with a half-track. Can my fatigued half-track contribute its firepower to the assault? Or can only infantry in an adjacent hex like in the example on page 33 in the sidebar? I am pausing my game to ponder this. thanks in advance

flatlander37 said:

Can my fatigued half-track contribute its firepower to the assault?

p.33: Up to two friendly squads.....may support the attack. 

Sorry, it says squads, not units.

flatlander37 said:

Then I can activate the fresh squad in the transport and exit the transport, using 2 movement points and then assault the enemy squad?

Yes, you can!!

And when your squad jump out of the vehicle, he can be attacked by a unit in OpFire.
Remember: Exit from vehicles, trenches and pillbox can activate a OpFire, but enter in these places not.

If the OpFire squad is in the terrain that will be assaulted, this unit can make a OpFire attack against your squad that left the vehicle and after, this unit can defend from assault, attacking your squad again.

Assaults and counter-assaults...

longagoigo said:

flatlander37 said:

Can my fatigued half-track contribute its firepower to the assault?

p.33: Up to two friendly squads.....may support the attack. 

Sorry, it says squads, not units.

Not to argue the rules, as that is how I read them as well, however, it makes absolutely no sense that the half-track gunner cannot support the squad that just jumped from that very same vehicle to assault an adjacent hex. The assault rules are flawed in this instance, as the TOI rules do not support a basic tenant of mechanized tactical doctrine.