Sign in to follow this  
R2-EQ

Help Me Understand the Dice

I had a quick play-through last night with a good friend. The game looks to be pretty fun but we still don't know all the rules well.

Has someone broken down the dice yet? In X-wing, I have a very good grasp of the dice, which I know is essential to being a competent player. In Imperial Assault I only have a vague idea of what is going on with the dice.

When I looked at IG-88's card, you really have to know the dice well to get the most out of his ability.

The defence dice seem pretty straight forward. Black is guaranteed, white has the 1/6 chance of avoiding everything.

As for the rest, help me understand them.

Red

- good damage, bad on surge

- the dice of choice in melee?

Yellow

- high on surge, lower on damage

- use when?

Green

- average all around?

- is it better to use 2 green or a red and a yellow?

Blue

- good range, low on everything else

- when do you use them? How many squares away do you have to be to say "I need a blue die in my pool"

If you're playing IG-88 how would you decide what to roll and when? If you have a hero with green dice, what is the optimal distance to be from your target? Questions like this need to be answered to be a "good player" and I have no idea.

*edited spelling

Edited by R2-EQ

I think you have a decent grasp on the dice. Green is balanced, and red/yellow/blue are high damage/surge/accuracy, respectively. As far as I can tell, there is sort of a hierarchy for each stat.

Damage: Red>Green>Blue>Yellow

Surge: Yellow>Green>Blue>=Red (from what I've seen, Blue is either slightly higher surge than Red, or they're equal)

Accuracy: Blue>Green>Yellow (no Red)

For IG-88 and General Weiss (3 dice of your choice, no more than 2 of a single color), it depends so much on the situation. If I'm not worried about range, because I'm 3 spaces or closer, with IG-88, and I'm not damaged, I probably roll Red/Green to deal maximum damage. Red can hit for up to 3, and with IG-88's surge for +2 damage, the green is either 2 or 3 damage, effectively.

With 2 green and no accuracy bonuses, you're guaranteed to hit out to range 2, and you have a 75 percent chance of getting at least 3 accuracy. You only have a 42 percent chance of getting 4 or more accuracy, so I'd  say the ideal range for Green/Green is 3 spaces or less (if the figures I've been seeing for the dice are correct).

Thanks for the answer Leveton.

Has someone done a breakdown of the dice in percentages? Like Red will be 3 damage x%, 2 damage y%. Green will be 2 surge x%, 1 damage y%. That would be very helpful. It seems like the dice in this game are going to be harder to learn than in X-wing.

Thanks for the answer Leveton.

Has someone done a breakdown of the dice in percentages? Like Red will be 3 damage x%, 2 damage y%. Green will be 2 surge x%, 1 damage y%. That would be very helpful. It seems like the dice in this game are going to be harder to learn than in X-wing.

Never tell me the odds.