Sign in to follow this  
Promise Memory

Imperial Books

Fel is a bit all over the place and some things he is basically just there as a cameo in most books he is in. Look for Rogue Squadron comic the "Making of Baron Fel". That will give you his back story and most of the 181st's back story as well. Echo is a FFG creation, there is nothing else official on Echo same goes for Whisper. Pretty much the same also for Kath, created by SOE for the old Star Wars Galaxies digital trading card game. No real back ground or anything, at least not outside of that game.

You might even consider picking up the old Rogue Squadron comics, the early ones are kind of hit and miss. But by the time Fel and the 181st show up the series is in it's prime. The X-Wing books, while they don't go that deep into the Imperial side of things they do at times touch on it and give a small Imperial perspective. I loved the books, they were well done and have some of the best cover art of any star wars books.

Also about a month or so ago the Imperial Handbook came out, you can find it on amazon. Good book, lots and lots of Imperial information. Another good source of Imperial info is the old West End Games Imperial Source Book. 

Farlander and Stele even show up later on in some of the novels, but they still are just background characters that barely get any 'screen" time. But at least they weren't forgotten. Of course that doesn't matter now that the old EU is gone.  And as the Baron mentioned you can't go wrong with Death Star or Tarkin. Tarkin being one of the first books of the new EU, certainly worth picking up. I really enjoyed it. Death Star has a pilot as one of the semi-main characters, very good read.

I found Both Tarkin and the Darth Plagius books to be fantastic. Tarkin is a bit on the slow side, however it gives fantastic insight into the mind of everyone's favorite Grand Moff.

And the Plagius book is a great filler for the time between the Darth Bane books and the rebellion era as far as what the sit hlords were doing.

I second the Rogue Squadron comics for Fel story.  I have all of the TPBs and they're a great read.  Death Star was good.  If you're looking for Sith, I'd suggest the Legacy of the Force comics.  They deal a lot with the far-future Sith.

I liked "Tarkin".  I thought it brought good insight into the character. 

I want to listen to "Death Star", but there is no audio book for it. 

I've read the Thrawn series and am in the middle of the Hand lf Thrawn, but it's not as engaging.  I've got 2 credits sitting on my audible account, but not sure what to listen to. 

I second the thought that this "Echo" is a clone trooper, not an academy graduate fifteen years later.  Don't get me wrong, there may have been "something caught in my eye" when Echo went down, but he's not connected to the X-Wing Echo.

On the book subject, there's also Star Wars:  Tales from the Empire.  I remember this being an enjoyable book full of back-story type story lines.  There's also the comic series Star Wars:  Empire which I've enjoyed reading quite a bit, as well.  If I'm not mistaken, those books cover the story of Luke's boyhood friend "Tank" who joined the academy a couple of years before Luke's fateful departure from Tatooine.  Those are great stories.

Also about a month or so ago the Imperial Handbook came out, you can find it on amazon. Good book, lots and lots of Imperial information. Another good source of Imperial info is the old West End Games Imperial Source Book. 

Thanks for putting this on my radar. I really like Daniel Wallace's stuff. The Essential Atlas that he and Jason Fry (with the illustrations of Modi) put together is absolutely absurd.

That said, $67 is pricy.

I liked "Tarkin".  I thought it brought good insight into the character. 

I want to listen to "Death Star", but there is no audio book for it. 

I've read the Thrawn series and am in the middle of the Hand lf Thrawn, but it's not as engaging.  I've got 2 credits sitting on my audible account, but not sure what to listen to. 

I got so bored with the 2nd Hand of Thrawn book I stopped reading halfway through.