Sign in to follow this  
Hemux

"Difficulty increased"-like rules : which way ?!

Hi,

This time I won't add my question to my usual questions topic ; I consider I'm not the flooder type, so I can have the opportunity to create a tiny new one, especially as I would like to have a quick answer to this problem.

I was reading the rules of Kingsport, today, to make sure my memory was clear about it because we decided to play that board expansion for our next game (calmest one, to our sense ; that's what we need). And there is this sentence I never really gave attention for, which really make me incredibly doubt today. Help ! You can find it page TEN, at the description of AO Yibb-Tstill : "Increasing the difficulty of Evade checks by 1 means that (bold) two successes (unbold) are required to pass any Evade check while..." and so on. I knew that. But said that way, I suddenly realized : does that count for any change explained in the same way ? For instance, a Mythos Card or an Ancien One which a modification rule that states something like "from now on, the difficulty is increased by one to do this or that" : does that mean any additionnal SUCESS ? not modification of the MODIFIER ? I thought, for instance, that a sentence like "cultist now have an Evade check difficulty increased by one" would mean that if it was -1, now it would be -2, but right now I realize it definitely means 2 successes are needed instead of one ! Is that the case for any sentence like that ?!

Thank you !

Yes. Thus, Yog-Sothoth requires you to make two successes when sealing/closing gates. Don't worry though, this is a common mistake - most of us have done it.

*edit*

Modifiers to checks still exist of course; you just have to look at the wording in each case. Increases in difficulty are fairly rare.

Indeed, both cases exist and you have to take care with the wording.

If the "difficulty" is increased, you need an additional success (as with Yog-Sothoth and gates). If the "check modifier" is increased, you get one less die than normal.

Thanks for the answers so far ; the more answers the better.

Crimson, I got you. But then why do they say that "the difficulty to close OR SEAL a gate is increased by one" ? You don't any success to seal a gate, right ? Just 5 clues. Or an elder sign. So the wording is weird.

Hm... I might be playing it wrong, but I always played you had to close the gate, then spend five clue tokens to seal it. So you can't seal it without closing it first. Have I been doing it wrong?

From P.18 of the rulebook:

"If an investigator successfully closes a gate, he may immediately spend five Clue tokens to permanently seal it."

You have to close the gate first, which is done exactly as normal - a Lore or Fight check, using the modifier shown on the gate marker, with one success required. Immediately after closing it, you can spend 5 clues to seal the location. The Elder Sign method (explained further down p18) is the exception: Elder Signs work without needing the test or the clues.