Sign in to follow this  
eibon

hamer and scapel tatics

so I've been trying to use interceptors and phantoms foe a bit but im not an experienced player yet so my manoeuvring is kinda poor, I don't get much practice so until im better up to speed I've been considering a list that is much more smash thru haha,

I've got a shiny new defender so was thinkin something like

rexler

bounty hunter

interceptor

this way I can get practice with both manoeuvring and direct assault, wot upgrades and or ships would you guys recommend to get me better used t all things x wing

cheers.  

If you like the list roll with it until you feel comfortable using it :)

For practicing scalpel tactics in particular, though, I don't think there's anything better than a mini-swarm (1 elite fast upgraded ship accompanied by as many Tie Fighters as you can shove into the leftover points).

Having a fleet of direct and expendable (but surprisingly potent) ships and only 1 important piece to focus on makes it a lot easier to learn the intricacies of flying a phantom/interceptor type of ship.

Of all the ships to start practicing with, Whisper w/Veteran Instincts and Advanced Cloaking device is by far the most forgiving because of her high pilot skill and the free cloak + focus buffering her defensive stats. Soontir's quite a bit more difficult because he's sharing the weakest defensive stat-line in the game (same as tie fighters which only have fickle green dice to cover their naked 3 hull), but he's hell of fun and cheaper than a phantom, which means more fighters :D

Edited by ficklegreendice

If you're looking for a smashing strategy, I would replace the Interceptor with something else.  Interceptors have poor longevity and are more suited to a maneuvering strategy versus a smashing strategy.

PLEASE. Learn to spell.

It could easily be that English isn't his/her native language. You understand the point of the post correct?

Rexler is great with predator and would suggest that combo. Then fill the list how ever you like.

English is one of my native languages , it's just the perfect storm of posting off my phone, using one hand while shopping in the mall, a terrible autocorrect and a horrible habit of not always proofreading, just ask swimmingordy. But the way you responded is very much appreciated. 

PLEASE. Learn to spell.

It could easily be that English isn't his/her native language. You understand the point of the post correct?

Rexler is great with predator and would suggest that combo. Then fill the list how ever you like.

English is one of my native languages , it's just the perfect storm of posting off my phone, using one hand while shopping in the mall, a terrible autocorrect and a horrible habit of not always proofreading, just ask swimmingordy. But the way you responded is very much appreciated.

Bizarrely enough, I was thinking "I bet this person is posting on their phone while distracted enough to not proof read before hitting post. It looks like some autocorrect shenanigans going on."

To practice maneuvers, I'd set up an asteroid field with a couple objectives and just practice flying. Once you can relyably get where you want by eyeballing the templates, you can pick a spot you want to be in _2_ moves later. Then figure out both your maneuvers before moving the first time.

I disagree with the idea that Interceptors have bad longevity.  Interceptors, when flown with PTL, are a thing of beauty.  The trick for me learning how to fly them however was all about not focusing on shooting at all.  I know this may seem like anathema, especially considering that the major accepted meta is large turreted ships, but I view shooting as secondary.  Take for instance one of my favorite pilots in the game, Carnor Jax, I have used his phenomenal ability to completely shut down Fat Han and Ice Hart Decimators.  The key though is just flying him like a bat out of hell.

The exercise I like to do with my friends when we practice is to forgo the combat phase.  We take our lists and we just spin dials and take actions.  The goal is to attempt to avoid as many firing arcs as possible while maximizing your own field of fire.  This method really helped me understand how different builds, like swarms, move while also allowing for a slightly more forgiving environment to attempt to fix your mistakes rather than just watching your list get shot out of the sky. 

Oh, and the 2nd biggest tip:

A hard 1 and the 1 straight almost cancel each other out if you Barrel-roll (on a small ship) to move back towards your starting position. It is not a perfect stop, since it actually moves you back about 2/3rds a small base and a little less than a small base in whichever direction you turned (or, at most half a ship's base back from your position after your turn). It is, however, the closest thing I've seen in this game to a pivot.

This is hilarious on Tie Fighters and Advanced Sensor B-wings (particularly Keyan, because the B-wings hard 1 is a red maneuver) to change facing, but not actually go anywhere. For Tie Fighters, it sets up hilarious unexpected blocks and almost keeps you put when an enemy ship coming in from the side tries to over-shoot you. Just make sure you get that one hard done properly because you can lose your roll to intervening obstacles/ships.

For Keyan, it's just about the best thing ever because Advanced Sensors means he doesn't care about bumping and because he can barrel-roll first (so obstructions and ships near his post-maneuver location won't stop the "pivot"). Most players aren't used to ships just not moving during the activation phase and it really throws them off. I've had so many enemies k-turn right next to him, expecting him to do the same, and end up getting range 1ed.

PLEASE. Learn to spell.

The obvious mistakes are what we call text speak over here in England and we spell words how they kind of should be e.g colour etc n I'm sorry if you don't like it but I found the people on here to be very acceptING of each other and not usually take digs over such little things like spelling but hey thanks for taking the time to post anyway....lol

The frustrating thing with 'text speak' is that its largely redundant these days and more indicative of laziness (i dont mean in this post, i mean on other forums where posts are very much 'gr8 m8 how r u'  etc.

Initially texts had a limited character count and to keep bills down it made sense to abbreviate a message as much as possible.

We now, however, have an entire generation who just use it as their default texting/spelling/typing style.

I used to teach English in high school, it was quite depressing.

My posts are quite often typo ridden on here and that really is pure laziness on my part.

As the assistant editor of a magazine I have to be incredibly precise with my spelling, syntax, diction, punctuation etc as its going into print and onto newstands around the world.

Im in on a forum to chat about toy soldiers i 'switch off' to a degree and feel as long as the intent is understood i'm not too fussed about the odd typo or missing apostrophe.

I'm also on oxycontin so at some times of the day after a tablet its like thinking through treacle and i can miss entire connectives or parts of sentences, *in my head* i typed it but sometimes i'll re-read a post and i've missed out half a sentence and it makes no sense.

At other times a thread is quite 'dynamic' and moving so fast i want to contribute and type and post quickly without any 'checking' as if i dont by the time i've made the post the thread has moved on three pages!

PLEASE. Learn to spell.

Please learn some respect
Look at post 8.

Unbelievable.

So I just like to inform people here that mikeespo is a troll sending me private insult messages

Please report and put on ignore list.

This community is great, but it's people like this who are making it a bad place

What's unbelievable is you took the time to send me 2 insulting messages.

I just said learn some respect since your initial post before you edited it was rude and ignorant.

For the most part this is a great community, but it's uncalled for comments like your initial post that makes new posters not want to take part in this community.

Call me a "stupid ******* canuck" or "moron" all you want.

I reported you and have your message.

I'm pretty sure you won't be missed

Edited by Krynn007

Rofl

So what did I do to report?

You sent me the first message calling meback moron

Then another insult my county and myself.

Now your telling me to come down to Chicago so you can fight me?

Seriously?

Are you 8 years old

Oh and ya, Canada is not a third world country

Please work on your geography

Edited by Krynn007

This train de-railed pretty soon.

Rexler Brath (37)

Bounty Hunter (33)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)

Total: 100

You could play something like this.

Firespray and defenders are fine in their default, i would recommend not to use Rexler, tho, and go with Vessery (and target computer on soontir). 

Learning how to play will always be tricky, have an open mind, talk to your opponents, try out stuff, be bold, aaaand do some imagining afterwards.

Never said that.

Delusional?

You didn't call me weak and tell me to come to Chicago.

I have all your messages

Man your mentally messed up

Seek help for love of god

Unstable

Don't know what your talking about....