Sign in to follow this  
SirSprinkles

Is the Extra Reloads item reusable?

RAW: Reusable. It isn't listed as one use only.

This game is narritive and there are things that seem weird because of this. The game design is that you don't need to track the small stuff. That's why there are no rules for buying ammo (other than in-combat reloads), restocking medical supplies, food, fuel, ect.

If you want to put some limitation on the Extra Reloads, then the house rule my group went with was one use per combat encounter. That way you can make someone with Extra Reloads run out of ammo by giving them the same result twice.

No argument on the RAW, but medical supplies--namely stimpacks--do need to be restocked. To some it may seem odd that stimpacks are treated one way and ammo packs are treated another.

As far as the limitation you mention, it's a good suggestion.

Energy weapons can be recharged easily. most likely on the characters ship. The chemicals in a stimpack...not so much. 

This game is narritive and there are things that seem weird because of this. The game design is that you don't need to track the small stuff. That's why there are no rules for buying ammo (other than in-combat reloads), restocking medical supplies, food, fuel, ect.

If you want to put some limitation on the Extra Reloads, then the house rule my group went with was one use per combat encounter. That way you can make someone with Extra Reloads run out of ammo by giving them the same result twice.

No argument on the RAW, but medical supplies--namely stimpacks--do need to be restocked. To some it may seem odd that stimpacks are treated one way and ammo packs are treated another.

Energy weapons can be recharged easily. most likely on the characters ship. The chemicals in a stimpack...not so much. 

In Star Wars, blasters require more than just energy, they require quantities of special gases that are consumed with use.

As for stimpacks, the medpac generates stimpacks, so maybe it's possible to just grow the juice.

In Star Wars, blasters require more than just energy, they require quantities of special gases that are consumed with use.

As for stimpacks, the medpac generates stimpacks, so maybe it's possible to just grow the juice.

Yes. And they are a consumable that your ship has. Since your ship uses that gas as well for its guns. So I see no reason why your blaster can't have its gas recharged by the ship as well.

Jamwes,

Good point about the emergency medpac and regular medpac, since both of them don't really "run out" of healing supplies even if it would make sense in terms of real world logic (which should always be applied very loosely to Star Wars) that they'd run out of bandages/bacta/hyposprays/etc at some point; by RAW both items can be used indefinitely, unless the GM opts to spend a Despair generated on a Medicine check to have the medpac finally "run out" and need to be replenished by essentially buying a new medpac.

Also Bacta, which is so much enjoyable nonsense.

I agree that a reload should be both exchangeable and reusable. The level of abstraction in this game would make tracking and restocking this beyond tedious. Rather, you just slap in a new clip recharge/replace to old one when the scene changes.

I run Extra Reloads as reusable without limitations per encounter (it is one ENC after all), and I figure it's re-charged off screen as are most weapons. However if the PCs are in an uncivilized or other area where being able to get reloads would be impossible I count it as 10 individual reloads. I also allow PCs to buy one use reloads, like individual Stimpacks, (ENC 0) at 5cr each. I'm pretty strict with ENC though because I use it as a balance mechanism so PCs don't end up carrying everything everywhere.

This came up again with my new group, so I came back here. 

I say reusable.

Posting here for my players' reference, please don't call lawyers, FFG...

Spare Clip (Talent) (CRB p.143): 

Activation: Passive

Ranked: No

Trees:  Gadgeteer, Trader

The character does not run out of ammo on a DESPAIR.  Items with Limited Ammo quality run out of ammo as normal.

Extra Reloads/Power Packs (CRB p.181)

Extra reloads allow characters to ignore an "out of ammo" DESPAIR result with a ranged weapon.  By spending a maneuver, they may reload their weapons and get back in the fight.

The two sound the same, except, like what's been said, the cost of a maneuver.  It simply doesn't say anything about the reusability. 

I just default to the 1 encumbrance thing and call it reusable.  A Blaster Pistol has an encumbrance value of 1.  So even though ENC is abstracted, if Extra Reloads weighs the same as a whole weapon, I figure a "portion" of the Reloads' encumbrance would need to go inside the Blaster Pistol.  No, I don't track less than 1 ENC, it's just how I wrap my head around it.

It gets a little wierd with Slugthrowers.  Because, as a real-life slugthrower owner, I know that the ammo increases the weapon's weight.  But meh! 

Edited by CrunchyDemon

It does need to be reloaded. We don't stop and worry about it between encounters though. What often happens is, after the fact, we note if the PC would have had a chance to reload the Extra Reloads he used up in the last firefight. If the answer is yes, the player catches up by marking off 10 credtis for the "ammo" of the Extra Reload (it's cheaper since you aren't replacing the magazines). So, if they stopped by town since the last firefight, they are good and mark off 10 credits when we remember to do it. Not a biggy if forgotten. If they have been stranded on a desolate planet since the last firefight? Then, no, they aren't yet reloaded. In those exact situations supplies are suddenly important and thus we start keeping track better.

I'd make a player specify what kind of weapon their extra reload was designed for - holdout, heavy blaster pistol, blaster rifle, etc. It's 25 each, that's not a huge burden for someone carrying a rifle and a pistol to pick up different packs for each. 

I don't think they'd be reusable if they got hit with a subsequent "out of ammo" result. Honestly they're so cheap, and I think it represents gas that's energized in blasters. 

This obviously doesn't apply to Spare Clip.

I'd make a player specify what kind of weapon their extra reload was designed for - holdout, heavy blaster pistol, blaster rifle, etc. It's 25 each, that's not a huge burden for someone carrying a rifle and a pistol to pick up different packs for each. 

I don't think they'd be reusable if they got hit with a subsequent "out of ammo" result. Honestly they're so cheap, and I think it represents gas that's energized in blasters. 

The burden isn't the 25cr it's 1 ENC. So unless you are ignoring Encumbrance, which I think is a mistake, requiring PCs to carry different Extra Reloads for each weapon is onerous.

The burden isn't the 25cr it's 1 ENC. So unless you are ignoring Encumbrance, which I think is a mistake, requiring PCs to carry different Extra Reloads for each weapon is onerous.

To me that is only going to be a big problem if the character has 3-4 different classes of weapon. Which I would call "not the norm" for general carry.

And with the ridiculous amount of +Enc gear that's been published I don't see it as an issue.

Everyone carries extra ammo. That's why you can reload between fights. What the Spare Clip talent or Extra Reloads gear does is it lets you carry MORE ammo that is in an easy place to get to DURING a fight. This is a narrative game that glosses over the small stuff, such as counting ammo, buying reloads, buying food, and buying gas for your spaceship. No need to over complicate things.

I always assumed what the 25 credits was buying you was an magazine ready belt pouch or the like to put your spare ammo in to it's easy to get to during a firefight.  I'd actually considered house ruling it to be free, and just costing the 1 encumberance to mean your otherwise 0 encumberance ammunition and making it easier to access, thereby costing you 1 encumberance.

Granted, I don't think anyone in my current game bothers to carry it, because 1 encumberiance is more valuble then minimizing the effect of one kind of despair.