Sign in to follow this  
mikeespo

OT: F-35 lightning II

It's a big stupid piece of junk, is what it is. It's become more expensive than the F-22 to produce (which is the exact opposite of what was promised), the DoD wants it to replace the...

F-16

F/A-18

A-10F*CK THAT. Fighters have roles for reasons! You can't just make a fighter that does every job.ESPECIALLY WHEN IT CAN'T EVEN LAND ON A CARRIER.

Let me tell you a thing. My country doesn't have great health care provided by the Govt., our troops need new gear tenfold, and our infrastructure in general is suffering.Meanwhile, the DoD and White House have been chasing an impossible chitty-chitty-bang-bang.

This miserable fightercraft is the embodiment of everything wrong with my country.

Seeing as it can land on a carrier I'm assuming this is satire. Edited by All Shields Forward

Probably poking the nest here, but might want to check your CQ facts on the F35. It can, and has landed on the Nimitz a couple of months ago...

.. Now back to Xwing!

You mean, that thing it was supposed to be able to do years ago and not just so recently?

It makes me mad thinking about the new supercarrier the UKs ordered, we had carriers with harrier jumpjets that worked just fine so what do we do? We retire what works for a carrier that's late and over budget that even when it does arrive won't have any bleedin fighters it can use.

It goes to show you newer isn't always better.

Damned true, especially when it comes to military tech.

Only a mad man wants to get in front of the A10`s gun, it ain't a fast plane or that nimble but used correctly it's mean.

One of my favourite games as a kid was A-10 tank Hunter on the pc.

The A-10 is an amazing fighter. If anything, I'd love to see a modern refit of it.tdLeoVI.jpg

Lord knows the A-10 Warthog has proven itself time, time again, as the greatest CAS fighter ever created. Instead of being retired, I actually do believe it needs an update. It's fine as it is, but it can be better.

Better than the stupid F-35, that's for sure.

MANPADS make the A10 obsolete against any but the most primitive nations. Daesh has them so slow, low flying A10 will be at an extreme risk compared to the F22s already in service over there.

It's a big stupid piece of junk, is what it is. It's become more expensive than the F-22 to produce (which is the exact opposite of what was promised), the DoD wants it to replace the...

F-16

F/A-18

A-10F*CK THAT. Fighters have roles for reasons! You can't just make a fighter that does every job.ESPECIALLY WHEN IT CAN'T EVEN LAND ON A CARRIER.

Let me tell you a thing. My country doesn't have great health care provided by the Govt., our troops need new gear tenfold, and our infrastructure in general is suffering.Meanwhile, the DoD and White House have been chasing an impossible chitty-chitty-bang-bang.

This miserable fightercraft is the embodiment of everything wrong with my country.

Seeing as it can land on a cqrrier I'm assuming this is satire.

Now it can.

Before it could not. And so what if it can? The airframe gets stressed out so much, so easily, that it's an ass to maintain. Nobody wants this thing.

No, it's not satire. I bloody hate the F-35. I wanted to love it, I really did, but it cant fill the roles it's trying to. That's just not possible.

Probably poking the nest here, but might want to check your CQ facts on the F35. It can, and has landed on the Nimitz a couple of months ago...

.. Now back to Xwing!

You mean, that thing it was supposed to be able to do years ago and not just so recently?

It makes me mad thinking about the new supercarrier the UKs ordered, we had carriers with harrier jumpjets that worked just fine so what do we do? We retire what works for a carrier that's late and over budget that even when it does arrive won't have any bleedin fighters it can use.

It goes to show you newer isn't always better.

Damned true, especially when it comes to military tech.

Only a mad man wants to get in front of the A10`s gun, it ain't a fast plane or that nimble but used correctly it's mean.

One of my favourite games as a kid was A-10 tank Hunter on the pc.

The A-10 is an amazing fighter. If anything, I'd love to see a modern refit of it.tdLeoVI.jpg

Lord knows the A-10 Warthog has proven itself time, time again, as the greatest CAS fighter ever created. Instead of being retired, I actually do believe it needs an update. It's fine as it is, but it can be better.

Better than the stupid F-35, that's for sure.

MANPADS make the A10 obsolete against any but the most primitive nations. Daesh has them so slow, low flying A10 will be at an extreme risk compared to the F22s already in service over there.

Which is why I propose that the A-10 get overhauled in design. I'd take a direct-fire, un-interferable 30mm gun over an AGM any day of the week.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

So you admit to not knowing the basic capabilities of the craft you are criticizing?

Do you admit to being a right ass?

do you not see the real problem with the F-35? It's not its capabilities. It's not what it can and can't do.

This piece of sh*t is what's wrong with my country. People in my age group can't afford health care, car insurance, life insurance, their lives in and of themselves, can't find jobs, and the educations we're receiving are worthless.

College graduates should never have to compete with each other for a job at MCDONALD'S.

Our internet, our health care, our very way of life CONTINUES to suffer while the Government does nothing for its people thanks to the puppets and talking heads in congress but does all it can to level the sands of some unknown middle eastern country.

Apparently securing oil and war profiteering by Lockheed-Martin and Colt are far more important than the lives of you or I.

THAT is what's wrong with the F-35.

The f35 is a piece of junk that has been designed as a jack of all trades master of none and is outclassed by CURRENT Russian aircraft let alone future Russian fighters

I see you're from the UK, what are you basing your info on?

Curious how you'd have responded if he was from the US?  Do you think they have a blockade on airplane information over there?

Has nothing to do with that. Why the hostility? I mean the UK is also procuring the f-35. Wondering what the public opinion was.

Calm down boy.

Well, I can't speak for all UKers, but one of the things that piss me off most about the F-35 is that we'll be stuck with a fleet of aircraft whereby we're not even allowed to know how they work or how to maintain them. Instead we just have to take it on faith that the US government haven't installed any backdoors into the software, and never decide to turn on us as they have been known to turn on other allies before now. Even though we don't think the US is going to turn on us in the forseeable future, our government shouldn't be placing us in a situation whereby we're effective at the beck and call of another country.

The thing is, we've seen it happen before. TSR-2 was suddenly cancelled and scrapped, as far as I can tell because of pressure from the US to buy from them rather than develop our own knowhow and technology. My understanding is that similar incidents have happened to Canadian and Japanese projects too. For a supposed ally, the US government certainly seems dead set against its allies being able to stand up for themselves :/

I don't like the US Government. Since the 1950s we've been encroaching on our allies' territory. We keep blockading the development of things other nations have every right to research. It's because we're scared that others can do better.

I hate the guys in charge of this nation.

Just bought an E wing, as this ship is a high cost tech marvel - which got me thinking about our F-35.

I hope it turns out better than the E-wing did in Star Wars lore..now with having to deal with the Russians.....AGAIN.

Since we have a large international community here, curious what you all think of procurement of this, shall I say, "wonder weapon"?

Hopefully this will be a somewhat serious discussion...

So does that make the Defender the F-22? Made first but still better in every way than a F-35A? From a lore perspective at least. Edited by Koshinn

Just bought an E wing, as this ship is a high cost tech marvel - which got me thinking about our F-35.

I hope it turns out better than the E-wing did in Star Wars lore..now with having to deal with the Russians.....AGAIN.

Since we have a large international community here, curious what you all think of procurement of this, shall I say, "wonder weapon"?

So does that make the Defender the F-22? Made first but still better in every way than a F-35A? From a lore perspective at least.

It absolutely does. Though I'm not sure which one is the F-35.

So you admit to not knowing the basic capabilities of the craft you are criticizing?

do you not see the real problem with the F-35? It's not its capabilities. It's not what it can and can't do.

This piece of sh*t is what's wrong with my country. People in my age group can't afford health care, car insurance, life insurance, their lives in and of themselves, can't find jobs, and the educations we're receiving are worthless.College graduates should never have to compete with each other for a job at MCDONALD'S.

Our internet, our health care, our very way of life CONTINUES to suffer while the Government does nothing for its people thanks to the puppets and talking heads in congress but does all it can to level the sands of some unknown middle eastern country.

Apparently securing oil and war profiteering by Lockheed-Martin and Colt are far more important than the lives of you or I.THAT is what's wrong with the F-35.

I tried to find a picture of a AC1307 firing, but instead of shells it's shooting out strawmen... But I don't think it exists yet. :(

Nearly 100% of the fleet has had serious structure issues. Just move on to sixth gen, or upgrade older designs. Better yet bring in the ASF-F14 TOMCAT, Ill show people what its like to be stalked by a predator.

**** right. The F-14 is still a contender.

This piece of sh*t is what's wrong with my country. People in my age group can't afford health care, car insurance, life insurance, their lives in and of themselves, can't find jobs, and the educations we're receiving are worthless.College graduates should never have to compete with each other for a job at MCDONALD'S.

Apparently securing oil and war profiteering by Lockheed-Martin and Colt are far more important than the lives of you or I.THAT is what's wrong with the F-35.

I tried to find a picture of a AC1307 firing, but instead of shells it's shooting out strawmen... But I don't think it exists yet. :(

Congratulations, warhawk. I dislike you more than Hobojebus.

So does that make the Defender the F-22? Made first but still better in every way than a F-35A? From a lore perspective at least.

The E-Wing is the 35. Supposed to combine X and A Wings like the 35 is supposed to be a CAS/Air Superiority/Strike aircraft to replace the A10 and F16. Both the 35 and E aren't amazing since their more expensive predecessor, the 22 and TIE/D, are flat out better.

The E-Wing is the 35. Supposed to combine X and A Wings like the 35 is supposed to be a CAS/Air Superiority/Strike aircraft to replace the A10 and F16. Both the 35 and E aren't amazing since their more expensive predecessor, the 22 and TIE/D, are flat out better.

Oh.

Well the E-Wing is pretty good but yeah, its teething issues were bad, it was too specialized, and as a result it fell flat.

Never overspecialize.

Nearly 100% of the fleet has had serious structure issues. Just move on to sixth gen, or upgrade older designs. Better yet bring in the ASF-F14 TOMCAT, Ill show people what its like to be stalked by a predator.

O well.

If your response to someone disagreeing with you is to dislike them you will live a very close minded existence.

I don't like the US Government. Since the 1950s we've been encroaching on our allies' territory. We keep blockading the development of things other nations have every right to research. It's because we're scared that others can do better.

Sadly, it gets worse. Whilst some of us are able to differentiate between the people and the government of a country, I've learned that most people can't. They'll see what the government of a country does, and judge the people by the action of the government.

O well.

If your response to someone disagreeing with you is to dislike them you will live a very close minded existence.

No, I just cant stand someone who so blatantly advocates spending in all the wrong places, one who actually think any place is a threat to the US and needs to spend accordingly, and thinks the F-35 is actually a good idea.

I live a fairly decent existence in terms of who I speak to. Not every one of my friends agrees with me on things. That's fine.

But they are all decent people. Unlike you.

I knew someone that was working to restore those fractured A10 wings. That was around a decade ago. It's truly amazing the work that has gone into keeping them flying. They were a major asset in the Middle East because of their looter time.

Sadly, it gets worse. Whilst some of us are able to differentiate between the people and the government of a country, I've learned that most people can't. They'll see what the government of a country does, and judge the people by the action of the government.

Yeah, I know.. That's an especially bad problem I run into all the time- I come from a right wing family and let me tell you, I am the only one that doesn't think everyone in the middle east wants to "take our freedoms and kill us all, make us live under sharia law and make us wear burqas."

Ugh. Repugnant. It's why I don't talk to my family much.

The f35 is a piece of junk that has been designed as a jack of all trades master of none and is outclassed by CURRENT Russian aircraft let alone future Russian fighters

I see you're from the UK, what are you basing your info on?
Curious how you'd have responded if he was from the US? Do you think they have a blockade on airplane information over there?
Has nothing to do with that. Why the hostility? I mean the UK is also procuring the f-35. Wondering what the public opinion was.

Calm down boy.

Well, I can't speak for all UKers, but one of the things that piss me off most about the F-35 is that we'll be stuck with a fleet of aircraft whereby we're not even allowed to know how they work or how to maintain them. Instead we just have to take it on faith that the US government haven't installed any backdoors into the software, and never decide to turn on us as they have been known to turn on other allies before now. Even though we don't think the US is going to turn on us in the forseeable future, our government shouldn't be placing us in a situation whereby we're effective at the beck and call of another country.

The thing is, we've seen it happen before. TSR-2 was suddenly cancelled and scrapped, as far as I can tell because of pressure from the US to buy from them rather than develop our own knowhow and technology. My understanding is that similar incidents have happened to Canadian and Japanese projects too. For a supposed ally, the US government certainly seems dead set against its allies being able to stand up for themselves :/

Wow....where did this come from? We keep hounding NATO members to spend their required 2% which only UK and Canada do. Sounds like were doing everyone else a favor.

We would like nothing more to share the military burden of defending europe.

Edited by mikeespo

F-16

F/A-18

A-10

F*CK THAT. Fighters have roles for reasons! You can't just make a fighter that does every job.

ESPECIALLY WHEN IT CAN'T EVEN LAND ON A CARRIER.

Let me tell you a thing. My country doesn't have great health care provided by the Govt., our troops need new gear tenfold, and our infrastructure in general is suffering.

Meanwhile, the DoD and White House have been chasing an impossible chitty-chitty-bang-bang.

This miserable fightercraft is the embodiment of everything wrong with my country.

It wasn't designed to have lots of roles, it was designed by different branches of the armed forces with different requirements. What they really wanted were 3 different aircraft but have been trying to shoe-horn in the crazy set of requirements into a single jet.

This jet isn't what's wrong with our country. It's a textbook case of design by committee.

F-16

F/A-18

A-10

F*CK THAT. Fighters have roles for reasons! You can't just make a fighter that does every job.

ESPECIALLY WHEN IT CAN'T EVEN LAND ON A CARRIER.

Let me tell you a thing. My country doesn't have great health care provided by the Govt., our troops need new gear tenfold, and our infrastructure in general is suffering.

Meanwhile, the DoD and White House have been chasing an impossible chitty-chitty-bang-bang.

It wasn't designed to have lots of roles, it was designed by different branches of the armed forces with different requirements. What they really wanted were 3 different aircraft but have been trying to shoe-horn in the crazy set of requirements into a single jet.

This jet isn't what's wrong with our country. It's a textbook case of design by committee.

What I mean is that we're so willing to spend so much on an impossible pipe dream of a fighter, a weapon of war, rather than look our for our own citizens.

I recall reading that the A-10 was built as a means of escalation to be NATO's counter to the USSR's massive production and increasing numbers in armored divisions during the Cold War. It was also designed to be rugged and low-flying for CAS to troops who need rapid air-to-ground attack when helicopters couldn't respond fast enough.

It sure is one hell of a tank buster, though. My neighbors daughter flew one in the first Iraq War and there were books with an A-10 having an entire rudder and engine shot off and still able to fly back home.

If you ever read up on the design requirements, it needed to be able to fly only one engine and massive amounts of the plane destroyed, it's why it has so many redundancy systems, it'll be a shame if they retire them

I recall reading that the A-10 was built as a means of escalation to be NATO's counter to the USSR's massive production and increasing numbers in armored divisions during the Cold War. It was also designed to be rugged and low-flying for CAS to troops who need rapid air-to-ground attack when helicopters couldn't respond fast enough.

It sure is one hell of a tank buster, though. My neighbors daughter flew one in the first Iraq War and there were books with an A-10 having an entire rudder and engine shot off and still able to fly back home.

If you ever read up on the design requirements, it needed to be able to fly only one engine and massive amounts of the plane destroyed, it's why it has so many redundancy systems, it'll be a shame if they retire them

"It's unsinkable!"

"But seriously, we mean that."

Personally I would scrap the F-35 and the even the A-10 (Yes even as awesome as it is) for a EB-52 Megafortress (Yes I know it is a fictional concept and one that has a snowball's chance on Mustafar of ever getting funded if it was proposed in real life, but what little I know about engineering it still seems feasible)

Since most air to air engagements in recent history from what I understand take place beyond visible range, it seems like whichever plane can get the first shot off first, and has the best countermeasures will win.(I believe they also thought this in the Vietnam war and was it the F-4 they didn't have cannons on but then included it on their successors? but I digress)

So to me it makes sense to take the plane that you can cram the most ECMs, most powerful rader, and the carry the most missiles, makes sense (as well as actually having the carry capacity for both air to air and air to ground missions at the same time)  It would involve a serious upgrade over the "basic" B-52 but it would still have to be cheaper than what the F-35 costs.  I bet most of the electrical components could be "off-the-shelf" from either AWACS, or even current missile guidance packages from the fighters.  That would just leave the re skinning of the aircraft from whatever it uses now to a less radar reflective material to reduce its radar cross section

Heck even the new Laser systems that the Army/Navy have been talking about could probably be adapted to fit into a B-52 (albeit with a quite a bit of work, but let's be honest, if the Army and Navy(and by extension the Marines) have lasers, we could bet our gaming budgets the Air Force is looking for a way to get a piece of that action too for either an air or space borne laser)

I probably have read too many Dale Brown novels, but I think it could be feasible if someone actually could get the project approved