Sign in to follow this  
klaymen_sk

The Great White Silence - new preview

Can Charlie ability send people to Antarctica? (I think yes)

There is only 8 focus tokens but everyone can have 2 focus, if the focus pool is emptied in games with more then 4 players what happens?

The more I see of this expansion, the more I like it. I was hesitant at first due to not really liking the whole close-up-of-Antarctica board, but seeing that the expansion offers other great options like Ithaqua and the prelude cards, I definitely think I can justify getting this.

Can Charlie ability send people to Antarctica? (I think yes)

There is only 8 focus tokens but everyone can have 2 focus, if the focus pool is emptied in games with more then 4 players what happens?

I would have to say no. Charlie's ability, I believe, begins something like "when aquiring assets from the reserve..."  I'm not 100% sold that even though you need 2 influence successes WHILE attempting to aqcuire assets, it would be the same as aquiring something from the reserve.  I mean, I could be wrong. Thematically it's the same as "buying" a service asset... but you aren't actually receiving an asset.

Also, I'm thinking that the focus tokens may have a side that is 2 focus. This way you would only need one token available per player for the entire game. Thre's nothing to imply this either, but you can always use substitute tokens. There's nothing explicitly stating that those 8 tokens represent a 'Hard Cap' on focus.... but again, that being said... all other components DO represent a 'hard cap' as you will lose the game if you run out of gates for example

Edited by Soakman

Also, I'm thinking that the focus tokens may have a side that is 2 focus. This way you would only need one token available per player for the entire game. Thre's nothing to imply this either, but you can always use substitute tokens. There's nothing explicitly stating that those 8 tokens represent a 'Hard Cap' on focus.... but again, that being said... all other components DO represent a 'hard cap' as you will lose the game if you run out of gates for example

Might want to take a look on Page 3 of the EH Reference Guide ("Component Limitations"):

1) "If an effect would spawn a Gate and the Gate stack and discard pile are empty, advance Doom by one instead."

2) "Any token, other than Clues, Gates and Monsters, is always available. If there are no remaining tokens of the specified type, track those tokens on paper or with a small object such as a coin."

I really don't see Focus tokens being so different (they are generic tokens unlike Clues/Gates/Monsters that all refer to something specific). However, flipping it it to go from 1 focus to 2 just like the improvement tokens do seems like the sensible option and one I hope FF went with.

edit: I just read the MoM rulebook - there's nothing indicating that the tokens are limited so if they don't do a 1/2 system then players can just keep track of them manually.

Edited by Sami

Might want to take a look on Page 3 of the EH Reference Guide ("Component Limitations"):

1) "If an effect would spawn a Gate and the Gate stack and discard pile are empty, advance Doom by one instead."

2) "Any token, other than Clues, Gates and Monsters, is always available. If there are no remaining tokens of the specified type, track those tokens on paper or with a small object such as a coin."

I really don't see Focus tokens being so different (they are generic tokens unlike Clues/Gates/Monsters that all refer to something specific). However, flipping it it to go from 1 focus to 2 just like the improvement tokens do seems like the sensible option and one I hope FF went with.

edit: I just read the MoM rulebook - there's nothing indicating that the tokens are limited so if they don't do a 1/2 system then players can just keep track of them manually.

Oops, I was thinking Mythos not gates. Gates just advance the doom. Sorry about that! I should not have said "all" either. I was thinking mostly of clues, gates, and monsters. 

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5260

There you go, Ithaqua is the second GOO.

Here's an interesting question: since Ithaqua is a new Ancient One, how will the Wind-Walker Rumor Mythos card interact with this new expansion? The Wind-Walker Epic Monster is supposed to be Ithaqua after all.

Edited by jeremyj621

Not so sure I follow. The Wind-Walker as Epic Monster is just the physical avatar of Ithaqua. It'd be like saying that Mask monsters in Arkham cannot be in play when Nyarlathotep is the Ancient One. I'd expect the Wind-Walker being boosted by Ithaqua's being the AO, but I don't see it coming (overcomplicating rules for a single card is never a good idea while designing games)

I just received my copy of Mountains of Madness today. One of the Prelude cards does reference the Wind-Walker Epic monster and has special setup instructions which vary whether or not Ithaqua is the Ancient One.

Spoiler: Before the mythos deck is assembled, the Wind-Walker Rumor card is set aside. If Ithaqua is the Ancient One, the Omen is advanced by 1 at the start of the game. Otherwise, the game begins with the Wind-Walker Rumor card in play with 6 Eldritch tokens on it. Then, each investigator may gain a Hypothermia Condition to gain 1 Clue and 1 Focus token.

If this Prelude card is not used or drawn at the start of the game, the Wind-Walker is just an Epic Monster, not Ithaqua (though possibly an avatar or stronger version of a Wendigo).