Sign in to follow this  
DariusAPB

Epiphany - Ordnance.

Ordnance can't be fixed. One shot weapons have to do significantly more damage and no ordnance does this, which is a good thing. What ever you pay for your ordnance, you hardly ever get more than a single hit more than your regular attack with lasers. Only ordnance with an area effect can achieve more, but is easily countered by spreading out. Forcing your opponent to spread out, is a viable way to neuter Howlrunner, but so is killing him.

Faq: [target lock] on an ordnance card means the token is required to fire but it is not spent. The target lock may be spent on the ordnance to reroll.

Will improve outdated ordnance such as proton torpedoes, Homing missiles, etc. Still might not be enough but reduces the luck involved.

Faq: [target lock] on an ordnance card means the token is required to fire but it is not spent. The target lock may be spent on the ordnance to reroll.

Will improve outdated ordnance such as proton torpedoes, Homing missiles, etc. Still might not be enough but reduces the luck involved.

Homing currently doesn't require the target lock to be spent.  That's why it doesn't have a convert ability like concussion and protons do.

It's possible that I asked MJ to look into that very idea last week. :) I think it's now on the To-Do list.

Ideally, Missiles would be 1 hit, 1 kill weapons- at least for Tie Fighters and the like. If an A-Wing could, with a single attack take out an Academy Pilot, the value of Tie Advanceds jumps quite a bit.

At the same time, torpedoes ought to be really good against Large/Huge ships. If a 3 Torpedo spread were enough to take out a Falcon, we'd probably see a _lot_ more Y-Wings floating around.

Ordnance can't be fixed. One shot weapons have to do significantly more damage and no ordnance does this, which is a good thing. What ever you pay for your ordnance, you hardly ever get more than a single hit more than your regular attack with lasers. Only ordnance with an area effect can achieve more, but is easily countered by spreading out. Forcing your opponent to spread out, is a viable way to neuter Howlrunner, but so is killing him.

Or they have to be significantly cheaper if they are purely damage focused one-shots.  As it is, players are often paying more for ordnance when the benefit of that ordnance isn't much better than simply the offensive actions sacrificed (usually target lock).  There are EPTs and other upgrades that are cheaper (PTL/Predator) and provide more offensive consistency and long term damage.

I think something that would allow a "reload" of ordnance would be a good fix. Maybe an "Extra Ordnance" modification.

Provided that it (a) doesn't require an action, since then it would still be all but impossible to repeatedly fire the darn things, and (b) isn't so expensive that you go to use it and a torpedo/missile and think "Why am I not just taking something with a HLC instead?".

2 points might be pushing it a little, but at the same time maybe not. Proton Rockets and Flechettes are similar in price and have seen next to no competitive success. It's hard to justify spending any number of points on upgrades that have such a high chance of doing nothing at all.

Edited by DR4CO

I think that ordinance is a little overpriced, either make them 1 point cheaper or have it so they do a guaranteed 1 damage.

The idea would be that you roll the required amount of dice and any damage that isn't canceled by an evade die or token is suffered. However, if the damage is totally mitigated is still causes 1 damage.

Could you imagine saving a missile to ensure the target with 1 hull left will be taken out or focus fire down a Phantom, provided it's in arc and you can get a lock onto it. 

Edited by Muz

Question: how cheap would a standard Proton Torpedo have to be before they were routinely equipped? 2 points? 1 point? At Zero points I know they'd be an auto include, but would they be used?

At 2 points, Flechette Torps are a 3 Dice attack that causes stress (on ships with 4 or less hull) whether you hit or not.

At 4 points, Proton Torps are a 4 Dice Attack that lets you change 1 of your [eye] results to a crit. 

I use Flechette Torps, so I'd probably use Proton Torps at the same cost (2 points).

I use the HLC quite a bit on my defenders and even though it's expensive it can be devastating, but I'll almost never use torps or missiles as past experience has taught me they just don't deliver reliable damage for the investment.

They either need to be cheaper or multiple use, CC weapons like fletchette work fine as do ion torps but the damage dealing one's are just not worth taking over an ept.

Question: how cheap would a standard Proton Torpedo have to be before they were routinely equipped? 2 points? 1 point? At Zero points I know they'd be an auto include, but would they be used?

At 2 points, Flechette Torps are a 3 Dice attack that causes stress (on ships with 4 or less hull) whether you hit or not.

At 4 points, Proton Torps are a 4 Dice Attack that lets you change 1 of your [eye] results to a crit. 

I use Flechette Torps, so I'd probably use Proton Torps at the same cost (2 points).

what if your flying a B wing that all ready has a 3 dice attack?  why pay two points for a "stress"  or 4 points for ONE extra dice and ONE shot??  when a normal 3 dice TL shot is pretty effective? granted Nara and her out of arc ability is useful but once again its costly for a one or two shots most attack.

Edited by Swedge

Her

:)

I agree with this 100%    We have played tested this in our store several times and now use it as a house rule.    It makes ordinance so much better it's stunning.    Especially with the Falcon and VT.   You can knock off 4 shields or more if your lucky with one ship.  before any major close range shooting takes place.      It can really put them on the defensive

Edited by eagletsi111

I had suggested that the Homing Missile can get a free Focus to compensate for it's downgrade with the idea that all ships can use the TL.  It makes sense as the Missile's guidance system focuses for you and that it really does do a lot of damage. 

I think if ordenance could be fixed, you would see a lot less of the big ships (which is good in my opinion). 

I think that some ordnance should roll relatively few attack dice, but then do a set amoount of damage.

Proton torpedo, range 4, 2 attack dice.

If it hits, it does 6 auto damage

therefore, high agility ships can often avoid it, but if it connects, it automattically destroys anything with lesss than 6 shield and hull combined.