Sign in to follow this  
Crit Happens

Best 5 points for Corran Horn?

I'm looking for the best 5 points of upgrades for Corran. He'll be flying with 5 Bandits. The two ideas I have right now are:

1. FCS (2) + R7-T1 (3)

The idea here is hopefully to boost out of arcs, and always have target locks for both attacks.

OR

2. Sensor Jammer (4) + VI (1)

I recently tried Sensor jammer for the first time, and loved the impact it had on the game. Especially with Corran firing first, likely taking away a focus token, it almost always means one less damage per attack.

So, what are your thoughts? You guys and gals are far more experienced than I, and I look forward to your insight. 

While you might think FCS is obvious... its actually not.  Corran has a hard time killing Whisper actually, cuz hte second attack is through the 4 dice F.  

FCS is technically about as good on Corran as on any other ship if he can't kill it in a double tap.  (Meaning Whisper).  

Thus:  R2D2 and VI.  

R2D2 is the only way you can stand up to the damage of the Phantom and the Falcon and still survive.  I wouldn't exactly play that vs a Phantom (as I'd add Engine or R3-A2 to help catch it), but it does immensely better vs Falcon.  

I wonder if a successful Corran is an illusion. He needs to cost at least 42 points to be efficient in my opinion (R2D2/VI/FCS). At the same time he needs Push the limit to be reliably survivable, but that leaves him at PS8 for 44 points without a turret to defend against agile PS9 pilots.

In terms of top level competition you see him make it somewhat far occasionally (2nd place at TCO for example), but I have yet to see a sizable tournament where Corran is in the actual winning list.

I wonder if a successful Corran is an illusion. He needs to cost at least 42 points to be efficient in my opinion (R2D2/VI/FCS). At the same time he needs Push the limit to be reliably survivable, but that leaves him at PS8 for 44 points without a turret to defend against agile PS9 pilots.

In terms of top level competition you see him make it somewhat far occasionally (2nd place at TCO for example), but I have yet to see a sizable tournament where Corran is in the actual winning list.

Isn't the Corran Han list a thing?  I hear for that one also is to just smash a few ties, and let the time go and win on points.  

I think Corran is also an illusion.  The double tap is good, but not well situated against current threats:  Han can absorb it easily.  Phantom has 4dice F the second attack.  

When you have r3a2 and ps10 the second attack is not through four dice. If ps10 FCS r3a2 Corran has eyes on whisper she is usually dead.

Well Whisper should also be a PS10 and probably not in a 100 point list like Corran. Assume your opponent controls init choice. Does your opponent give you init so Whisper moves last or does she keep it and let Corran move last so she can shoot first?

Either way there is an element of the equation that is less than ideal for Whisper. I like your setup regardless.

When you have r3a2 and ps10 the second attack is not through four dice. If ps10 FCS r3a2 Corran has eyes on whisper she is usually dead.

Well Whisper should also be a PS10 and probably not in a 100 point list like Corran. Assume your opponent controls init choice. Does your opponent give you init so Whisper moves last or does she keep it and let Corran move last so she can shoot first?

Either way there is an element of the equation that is less than ideal for Whisper. I like your setup regardless.

Do you mean a decoy whisper/echo + VI chiraneiu kind of list or something ?

Edited by DreadStar

VI - PS 10 for Phantom Hunting and otherwise being awesome

FCS - either use it for your double tap, or defensively with your droid

R7 - with FCS, you can take an evade, attack the most dangerous target to Corran, and use the TL you gain for defense.

Edited by GiraffeandZebra

Whisper is 9 with VI.

Whisper is 9 with VI.

Ahahahaa. Stop posting when you are tired funk....Ignore me

Corran is expensive no matter what you do.  Outside of a turret ship he is the only one I have been really able to handle a Phantom with.  I usually try Advanced sensors and VI and try to fly him with a combination that has Cracken.  With VI it means that the Phantom has to move before me, with AS I am mobile enough with my barrel roll to either get him in arc or get out of his.  Still you are looking at a very expensive unit that may have problems against other builds.

Here's a few I've used:

Stay on Target and Advanced Sensors

While 'game sense' may not make SoT used every turn, it proves useful on turns after you have double tapped when flying evasive, as it allows you to pick a better follow up position after the board has developed. 

Works better if you can manage to squeeze in R2-Astro for clearing the SoT stress. 

Squad Leader and Experimental Interface  

Horn and his wingmate become an even more formidable duo while flying in formation.

Add R7T1, R2F2, R5D8 to make more use out of EI. 

(I like this set-up on Wedge also)

DTF and R2D2 

Best when sitting near Biggs

Opportunist and R2-Astromech 

If he's out flanking, you might find an increased chance of Opportunist to proc on the second shot, on either the main target or a secondary. The R2 is for more stress clearing options after Tapping. 

Expert Handling and Enhanced Interface 

Sure Peppy is annoying and you might not be facing many target locks but that benefit is there if you need to "Do a barrel roll"

Decoy and R7-T1 

Decoy let's you trade PS after double tapping, and R7-T1 helps with flying out of arc if Barrel-Rolling isn't enough additional. 

Pairs well with EI if available.

R5-K6 and Advanced Sensors 

K6 may be worse in every way to FCS when both are available, but in a lot of instances and scenarios AdvS is usually superior to FCS. K6 allows Corran to have benefits of both with a small downside. 

That's the problem list for Corran.

If he takes VI and R2A3 he eats Whisper alive no matter if you combo it with FCS or advanced sensors. The sensors give him easier time aligning the shot and are also better vs Echo. FCS assures the kill if you get the shot.

But in that config Corran costs more than 40 points... And he can't deal with the decimator like that! He needs R2D2 for that!

Now the only thing possible i would see is take him plus Swarm. He destroys Whisper/Echo, the swarm plinks down The Decimator!

Like this perhaps!

SAY NO TO PHANTIMATORS!

100 points

PILOTS

Corran Horn (40)

E-Wing (35), R3-A2 (2), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x 5

OR:

NO PHANTIMATORS ALLOWED! - CORRAN ON CRACK

100 points

PILOTS

Corran Horn (43)

E-Wing (35), R3-A2 (2), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Advanced Sensors (3), Veteran Instincts (1)

Airen Cracken (21)

Z-95 Headhunter (19), Wingman (2)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x 3

In the second version Cracken might be worth another Bandit...

If you can Double Tap Whisper with Flechettes and then R2-A3, he's just done for! After that even the Z-95 can kill it. Cracken (if he can make it to R1 with Horn) can also relieve stress if necessary, so Corran can repeatedly Koio or just use R2-A3.

Edited by ForceM

That's the problem list for Corran.

If he takes VI and R2A3 he eats Whisper alive no matter if you combo it with FCS or advanced sensors. The sensors give him easier time aligning the shot and are also better vs Echo. FCS assures the kill if you get the shot.

But in that config Corran costs more than 40 points... And he can't deal with the decimator like that! He needs R2D2 for that!

Now the only thing possible i would see is take him plus Swarm. He destroys Whisper/Echo, the swarm plinks down The Decimator!

Like this perhaps!

SAY NO TO PHANTIMATORS!

100 points

PILOTS

Corran Horn (40)

E-Wing (35), R3-A2 (2), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x 5

OR:

NO PHANTIMATORS ALLOWED! - CORRAN ON CRACK

100 points

PILOTS

Corran Horn (43)

E-Wing (35), R3-A2 (2), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Advanced Sensors (3), Veteran Instincts (1)

Airen Cracken (21)

Z-95 Headhunter (19), Wingman (2)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x 3

In the second version Cracken might be worth another Bandit...

If you can Double Tap Whisper with Flechettes and then R2-A3, he's just done for! After that even the Z-95 can kill it. Cracken (if he can make it to R1 with Horn) can also relieve stress if necessary, so Corran can repeatedly Koio or just use R2-A3.

Your first squad is what I've settled with. Not only good against phantoms and decimators but I think it matches up very well against super dash squads and Fat Han squads.

Thanks for all the help!

Isn't the Corran Han list a thing? I hear for that one also is to just smash a few ties, and let the time go and win on points.

I think Corran is also an illusion. The double tap is good, but not well situated against current threats: Han can absorb it easily. Phantom has 4dice F the second attack.

Horn is good against a falcon If you have the right upgrades. The double tap means he only gets 3PO on one attack and you can then zoom out of range and regenerate shields and come back around. The same is true of whisper as you can strip the token in your first attack and fire against her tokenless for the second. If you're shooting first with VI there's no cloak and then the double tap is worth the risk.

Underestimating a well played Corran Horn is a big mistake.

Edited by AlexW

Isn't the Corran Han list a thing? I hear for that one also is to just smash a few ties, and let the time go and win on points.

I think Corran is also an illusion. The double tap is good, but not well situated against current threats: Han can absorb it easily. Phantom has 4dice F the second attack.

Horn is good against a falcon If you have the right upgrades. The double tap means he only gets 3PO on one attack and you can then zoom out of range and regenerate shields and come back around. The same is true of whisper as you can strip the token in your first attack and fire against her tokenless for the second. If you're shooting first with VI there's no cloak and then the double tap is worth the risk.

Yes, but sadly he requires different upgrades against Falcons than against Phantoms, or minimum you need R2D2 against Falcon/ decimators while against Phantoms, R2A3 is pretty mandatory to keep it from recloaking! Edited by ForceM

The problem is that Corran has trouble "zooming out of range" of the Falcon. Opponents have nothing to fear the turn after the double tap and it´s quite troublesome turning Corran around without taking an actionless turn (K-turn) which leaves him vulnerable or having to stick with white maneuvers (not regenerating shields with R2-D2).

Is Corran going to be a glass cannon or late game tank.

- That determines if you're using R2D2 

Do you want him to threaten Phantoms or not?

- That determines if you're using VI

Do you want to maximise his double tap?

- That determines if you're using FCS

If you take all 3 you're obviously over your 5 point limit so pick a role and flavour to taste.