Sign in to follow this  
ThenDoctor

New Supplement in the Works

It definitely Could lead to interesting roleplay. But it didn't. It lead to me getting shot. You're right of course, it was more that one guy personally than the type of character, but he was such an ass about it it just stuck with me. GM was actually cool with how he acted. Not totally in favor of it, but he wouldn't punish the guy or let me bring my character back. I stopped playing with them. Jerks. Later on I heard their group had broken up over the jerk turning his jerkiness on another player. Hmhmhm.

GM was actually cool with how he acted. Not totally in favor of it, but he wouldn't punish the guy or let me bring my character back.

That's his prerogative, albeit not a good one.

Why didn't you just burn a fate point then? That's what they're for, surviving incidents that would result in death.

Why didn't you just burn a fate point then? That's what they're for, surviving incidents that would result in death.

... If it had been my character, tbh I'd refuse to do so on the basis that it just wouldn't be fun to continue the game with such player(s).

Besides, it'd probably look .. odd for a character to survive point-blank execution. Not to mention that the Wannabe-Sister could have just shot a second time if the player is such a jerk.

I consider Sororitas characters to be rather difficult to roleplay "correctly" (which of course may mean different things to us), but truth be told, the same could be said about most Space Marines in Deathwatch, or the Commissar in Only War - the latter replicating much the same issue due to them being expected to BLAM people.

Let's just say such characters can all add some amazing depth to a game if played right, but at the same time they are an accident waiting to happen in the hands of most(?) players who could use to take the game just a little more serious (which does not preclude fun).

There's many more examples for such challenges, be it various alien species from Rogue Trader, or the Chaos devotees in Black Crusade.

Edited by Lynata

Yeah, I guess in the end it's all a matter of whether you just wanna troll a game taking stereotypes to extremes for lols, or play a game with character development and growth. Or just take the middle road and do a good old fashioned hack'n'slash dungeon crawl. I'm more inclined to the latter two, but the important thing is to remember that rpg's are social games. Those aren't just characters, they're the people playing them. You gotta figure out what everyone wants out of the game, and respect their wishes so everyone can have fun... and if that doesn't work, keep some well-shaken cans of Orange Fanta ready for the idiots you meet. :P

(Btw, Lynata, did you get my message?)

Edited by Ramellan

Yeah, I guess in the end it's all a matter of whether you just wanna troll a game taking stereotypes to extremes for lols, or play a game with character development and growth. Or just take the middle road and do a good old fashioned hack'n'slash dungeon crawl. I'm more inclined to the latter two, but the important thing is to remember that rpg's are social games. Those aren't just characters, they're the people playing them. You gotta figure out what everyone wants out of the game, and respect their wishes so everyone can have fun... and if that doesn't work, keep some well-shaken cans of Orange Fanta ready for the idiots you meet. :P

I guess that jerkish guy took the easy road. Figuring out a way that won't kill another player's character or have grave consequences would have been the more difficult road, yet usually more enjoyable for everybody since it leads to roleplay oppertunities. Instead of shooting you, he could have just smacked you with her weapon or punched you in the face.  :lol:

But yeah, the biggest problem was the guy being a jerk all the time, taking stereotypes to the extremes as you mentioned. It's the same thing with the Black Crusade, having a player who plays a devotee to Khorne meet another player character who is a devotee to Slaanesh. Oh no, they try to kill each other all the time. Stereotypes... 

Figure out ways to play a game together or don't play together. 

Edited by Gridash

Well, I dealt with it all right. With two cups of soda all over his shirt and pants. But ever since then I've always been leery around people who wanna play the holy warrior type. Sigh...

This is the kind of story that really makes me appreciate the players I have.

Anyway, I hope you were able to find a better group. 

The thing is, Inquisitors don't just grab a bunch of people for their Acolyte Warbands and throw them at an investigation and hope they don't kill each other (okay, some might but work with me here). I think it's absolutely reasonable to assume that the Inquisitor is going to pick out the people who are of a diverse background/talents but who are also able to work together. Logically, Inquisitor ian isn't going to look at Sister Sarah, note her obsessing with killing psykers on a whim and put her together with Psyker Steve in the same Warband. 

In that respect, I think it's reasonable for a GM to request that a player who has a character trait that it so excessive (to the point of killing psykers/whatever on a whim) to tone it down. That's not to say those traits should be squashed entirely - this is 40k - but unless your GM deliberately runs an incompetent Inquisitor I'd be questioning his/her competance if he put together a Warband made up of people actively looking for excuses to kill each other.

I fully support Khornates chopping most Slaaneshi you see in Black Crusade rounds to bits. An intelligently played infiltraitor shouldn't be telling the Zerker who his big goomba is in the first place, after all.

I don't, they're on a compact from their gods to work together and NOT KILL EACHOTHER, at least until the mission is done.

I fully support Khornates chopping most Slaaneshi you see in Black Crusade rounds to bits. An intelligently played infiltraitor shouldn't be telling the Zerker who his big goomba is in the first place, after all.

I don't, they're on a compact from their gods to work together and NOT KILL EACHOTHER, at least until the mission is done.

Also it's not because somebody worships a Chaos god that he becomes mindless himself (eventually maybe). Disliking each other during a mission is often enough.

Edited by Gridash

I guess I scared her away with my heresy.

Oh well, I hear on top of Sororitas we can also make mutant characters in this supplement. I wonder what a party with one of each of those will act like. ;) sigh, do I buy this book, or the Only War core book? Probably won't get to play either, so it'd just be for imagination fuel. Or maybe something else?

Probably won't get to play either, so it'd just be for imagination fuel. Or maybe something else?

Have you considered trying to find an online game?  I checked out Roll20 when I thought I was going to be moving and its pretty cool.  

I'm still here, you just sent me so much text I can't actually say much about. Every time I try to type up a response it feels both rude that it ends up being so short, plus half of it I've already said before. So I have kind of procrastinated.  ^_^

I warned you this would happen, tho!

Only War is awesome, by the way. If you have to decide between it and DH2, I suppose the question you ought to be asking yourself is how you think about the Imperial Guard as opposed to the Inquisition. DH2 is a different system, OW is an entirely different game, stylewise.

I noticed Fgdsfg's name to be greyed out in the posts of this thread. Did he get banned or something?

Merry Christmas!

At least somebody seems to be happy then.

He must have done something really bad, otherwise some other people here would have been banned ages ago already.

Sorry for derailing, back to the topic then.

I just have to throw in here... If Fgdsfg was in fact banned I would want to register a protest with ffg! While he is certainly not perfect, there are FAR worse trolls on this forum than him! Like him or hate him, you could be next!

I kinda miss his input .. even though his current signature alone is enough to get me up in arms again.  <_<

The ban does come a bit out of the blue, though. Did something happen that I missed? Perhaps a private message exchange?

I kinda miss his input .. even though his current signature alone is enough to get me up in arms again.  <_<

The ban does come a bit out of the blue, though. Did something happen that I missed? Perhaps a private message exchange?

I do not actually know if he was banned at all. He may have withdrawn his account himself. (It is possible.) We do know that he had an on again off again feud with a particular poster but that person is at least as guilty as anyone of trolling! (And that's trying to leave my personal opinion out of it!) Interestingly enough though, That persons ID remains active. (I checked) I hope leaving was by his choice and not someone's witch hunt.

Edited by Radwraith

I do not actually know if he was banned at all. He may have withdrawn his account himself. (It is possible.) We do know that he had an on again off again feud with a particular poster but that person is at least as guilty as anyone of trolling! (And that's trying to leave my personal opinion out of it!) Interestingly enough though, That persons ID remains active. (I checked) I hope leaving was by his choice and not someone's witch hunt.

I know most of the posters here dislike CPS, which is fine, because he obviously has little to no respect for the people on this forum. That said, none of his posting that I saw was trolling. Dude is quick to criticize other posters, but he actually believes in these criticisms. He also begrudgingly admitted when he was basically wrong about something. Fdsfsg, showed a lack of respect to broad groups of people (and to posters who disagreed with him), but also argued about it in obviously bad faith. I'd rather have a poster like ThenDoctor who just hates my guts than a poster who types up minstrel show dialogue and then insists that I'm racist for objecting to it. Cps, is an *******, but he's not a troll. At least you can argue with an *******.

I know most of the posters here dislike CPS, which is fine, because he obviously has little to no respect for the people on this forum. That said, none of his posting that I saw was trolling. Dude is quick to criticize other posters, but he actually believes in these criticisms. He also begrudgingly admitted when he was basically wrong about something. Fdsfsg, showed a lack of respect to broad groups of people (and to posters who disagreed with him), but also argued about it in obviously bad faith. I'd rather have a poster like ThenDoctor who just hates my guts than a poster who types up minstrel show dialogue and then insists that I'm racist for objecting to it. Cps, is an *******, but he's not a troll. At least you can argue with an *******.

Posting personal attacks is never a good idea. Nimsim, I have sighted you repeatedly not because we agree, (We rarely do!) but because you keep it a debate and don't make it personal. There seem to be a few on this forum that just don't get that. fdgsd was no angel! But he was not alone and he was not unprovoked! If in fact he was banned, it is unfair to act against him and not the other party he was routinely fighting with!

Somehow I managed to get along just fine with both of them and had a number of enjoyable discussions about the game, even though it was at times awkward to see them behave like oil and water. I disagreed strongly with some of the opinions Fdsfsg had, but it never escalated into dislike as we managed to keep our cool.

It's just a question of chemistry - I can be pretty **** stubborn, too, and I know at least one poster on this forum has put me on ignore, yet I get praise from others. Perspective colours reaction, I suppose.

If in fact he was banned, it is unfair to act against him and not the other party he was routinely fighting with!

Without further details (we don't even know if he actually got banned), I'd refrain from further speculation, though. It's a surprise to see his account inactive, but it could be for any number of reasons, and it may be unfair of you to prematurely point the finger at another forum member.

Maybe he chose to leave for some personal reason (though it's odd and I would have almost expected a bye-bye post).

Maybe he got hacked (and his account temporarily shut down to prevent spambots from cluster-bombing the forum).

Maybe he was out of line in a way we cannot see (PMs).

Maybe FFG doesn't like people dragging "controversial agendas" into their forums (his new signature).

Give it time. If he wants to, he can just make a new account and post what happened, or PM one of us. They don't IP-ban here, or do they? Hell, for all we know it might just be a temp ban and he'll be back in a week or so.

Edited by Lynata