Sign in to follow this  
ThenDoctor

New Supplement in the Works

I think part of Black Crusade's issue is that it didn't really didn't show how it was distinct. As is the setting is far too "Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy, but as the bad guys!" The setting sets the players primarily against other Chaos things (ok, and the necrons) and feels quite arbitrary and forced, a bunch of coincidences to make the game they want possible, rather than trying to think of a compelling independent setting. Feel this about all the FFG produced settings after Rogue Trader actually (though DW's kitchen sink setting has to be the most blatant).

I personally thought a much more interesting game (and more distinct) would have been to play as a conspiracy on an Imperial planet. You are conspiring against the Imperium from within. I guess one of the issues is that this would only really have justified a supplement for DH, rather than its own game line.

I consider the default setting a nice "starting location", so to say, simply because there's an ample supply of resources in warriors, labour and forbidden artifacts who have no qualms about serving the Dark Gods, and there's no widely established authority like the Ecclesiarchy or the Inquisition forcing you into secrecy and thus hampering your speed of expansion.

There's a reason for why all the Black Crusades originate in the Eye of Terror rather than somewhere in the midst of the Imperium, and BC's default setting is like a miniature version of that. Once you have built up a respectable powerbase, there's no reason not to expand outwards and take on the Imperium using locations already published in Dark Heresy, Deathwatch or Only War. Besides, why should Black Crusade have come up with yet another region that is essentially the Calixis sector by another name?

Not that there's anything keeping people from starting a game of Black Crusade in the Calixis sector, anyways, if they are looking for a game more focused on infiltration and evasion rather than first establishing a powerbase that won't get roflstomped the minute local authorities take note of it.

Not that there's anything keeping people from starting a game of Black Crusade in the Calixis sector, anyways, if they are looking for a game more focused on infiltration and evasion rather than first establishing a powerbase that won't get roflstomped the minute local authorities take note of it.

Indeed.  In fact, if I recall correctly, the core BC book has a few pages devoted to running campaigns in Callixis, Koronus, and Jericho.  

So does anyone happen to know whether Adepta Sororitas is going to be a background or a role?

According to the product page.

You may rise from the Adepta Sororitas to take the Sister of Battle elite advance

So this will be interesting as it will be just Elita Advance which goes against 1st ed only Progena.

Unless one of the new backgrounds and roles is Schola.

So this will be interesting as it will be just Elita Advance which goes against 1st ed only Progena.

Technically, I suppose they could also offer it up as a sort of "special training for talented Acolytes", like they did with the Storm Trooper or Vindicare elite advances in DH1 Ascension? The former even included a post-hoc Schola education.

Edited by Lynata

If it's an elite advance, it's probably structured to occur sometime after character creation. If it works like OW HoE; it will happen at a specific experience threshhold. (It's every 2500 pts in OW) The effect will be be to remap some or all of the character's aptitudes and provide some of the Iconic battle sister equipment like Light powered armor and Godwyn pattern bolt gun.

It's also interesting to note that this could theoretically allow ffg to redo Deathwatch without doing a whole new core book. The next supplement (Presumably Ordo Xenos focused) would only need to include rules for creating Space marines. I actually doubt ffg would do that but it is possible.

Psyker and Untouchable can be acquired at character creation. It makes sense that it's not something you would buy into later Sisters are trained from a young age to be SoB if I remember correctly. They don't switch around.

I noticed Fgdsfg's name to be greyed out in the posts of this thread. Did he get banned or something?

Not sure about the Deathwatch thing, yes they can do it, but it would also mean that we would see a grey-knight elite advance in the Ordo Malleus supplement. That would be pushing it a bit.

Edited by Gridash

Psyker and Untouchable can be acquired at character creation. It makes sense that it's not something you would buy into later Sisters are trained from a young age to be SoB if I remember correctly. They don't switch around.

This seems like the most likely bet to me. I wonder what the advance will entail? I'd imagine it will be a Faith powers tree similar to the untouchable talent tree. I don't think it will include sorority equipment, but who knows.

It makes sense that it's not something you would buy into later Sisters are trained from a young age to be SoB if I remember correctly. They don't switch around.

Depends entirely on how closely they want to stick to which interpretation of the background. I mean, the same could have been said for ISTs and Vindicare .. and the first version of Sisters in Dark Heresy was available to both a Schola and Feudal World background.

But as Tiamanti suggested, I suppose they could also add a Schola homeworld to the book?

Edited by Lynata

I just hope that Adepta Sororitas is a background and not a role, because it would work perfectly with the existing system for making characters from different orders.  Add Chirurgeon, you've got a Hospitaller.  Add Sage, you've got a Dialogous.  Add Hierophant, you've got a Famulous.  Etc. 

I noticed Fgdsfg's name to be greyed out in the posts of this thread. Did he get banned or something?

Merry Christmas!

At least somebody seems to be happy then.

He must have done something really bad, otherwise some other people here would have been banned ages ago already.

Sorry for derailing, back to the topic then.

He must have done something really bad, otherwise some other people here would have been banned ages ago already.

Is it possible that he just got fed up with this place and deleted his account himself?

Possible but unlikely, I don't think you can delete your own account without contacting some admin. Why go through the trouble of doing all that.

Edited by Gridash

I just hope that Adepta Sororitas is a background and not a role, because it would work perfectly with the existing system for making characters from different orders.  Add Chirurgeon, you've got a Hospitaller.  Add Sage, you've got a Dialogous.  Add Hierophant, you've got a Famulous.  Etc. 

Makes sense.

I like the Sororitas a lot, and I'd enjoy playing one if my group ever decided to try Dark Heresy. My only problem with them comes from when Other people want to play Sororitas. It's something that happened to me back when I was playing D&D a few years. I'll try and translate it into 40k terms; I was playing a psyker, this other guy was playing a Battle Sister. Two or three sessions in, he shot me. No reason, no real provocation, my character just asked his to stop being such a jerk to me and he shot me. Boom, I need a new character. Ooc, I tried to call bull, but the jerk just said he was roleplaying his character, and if I can't deal with it I should leave.

Well, I dealt with it all right. With two cups of soda all over his shirt and pants. But ever since then I've always been leery around people who wanna play the holy warrior type. Sigh...

Well, I dealt with it all right. With two cups of soda all over his shirt and pants. But ever since then I've always been leery around people who wanna play the holy warrior type. Sigh...

That's much more of an issue of the person rather than the holy warrior. It's equivalent to the Paladin locking up the party's thief for theft.

It seems much more you were shot for dissenting with the Battle Sister's opinion rather than being a psyker. That dynamic itself can lead to some interesting roleplay if people let it, but What did the GM say about the matter? Was it alright for party members to go after one another?