Sign in to follow this  
Robin Graves

OT: Ep VII That darn lighstaber.

My thought when I saw this was...

Why don't ALL lightsabers have laser hilts? They invented hilts for a reason, as added protection. It only makes sense that new lightsabers would make the change to include this.

It has been confirmed by ABC News, which has Disney as its parent company, that the lightsaber sound at the end of the trailer is revealed to be Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber from A New Hope.

Does that foreshadow anything?

In the Thrawn Trilogy, now no longer canon, The Emperor had kept Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber as part of a collection after Darth Vader severed Luke's hand in The Empire Strikes Back.

As far as half-swording goes, that is primarily a harnissfechten technique, and I've never seem Jedi fight in armour.

Armor was a huge deal back in the Old Republic/Sith Wars era, probably in large part due to the profligation of lightsaber-wielders as both sides of the war were packed full of them. Both Jedi and Sith would wear armor that was at least resistant to lightsabers (cortosis weave, rather than pure cortosis, which makes them weaker against lightsabers but much better againt blasters and other weapons, since cortosis is worthless against anything but lightsabers, assuming my frail memory is correct). Throw in the much more pervasive Mandalorian presence at the time and you wind up with lots of armor capable of standing up to lightsabers, at least for a while.

This post explains it pretty well:

That's little more than someone who apparently doesn't know what they're talking about, ranting for the sake of ranting.

Cortosis while part of the EU is hardly unheard of by most fans and easy enough to introduce into the movie anyway.

Considering how Rebels are going with the OT saber designs, I do think the rather messy plasma in the saber hints to being a relic. 

If its even the plasma type.  It looks alot like the sabres that use unstable crystals too me.  Real powerful BUT can short out.

I don't really have a problem with the cross guard/mini sabers off the sides thing. In fact I think it is different and kinda cool. What bugs me, a lot actually, is the weird fireish lightsaber effect. It's a lightsaber, not a fire sword. The lightsaber effect has been well established and loved the world over. Why are you reinventing an awesome wheel?

There are lots of unique crystals, most the time only sith can use it, AND there force powers sith use to imbue the blade with more power.  For all we know hes imbuing the blade with sith force fire.

As standard the type of Blades that exist that Jedi can use is

*Plasma

*Ion

*LASER

*Hard Light

*Supernatural (very rarely done because using special force infused crystals is usually boosting offensive capabilities of the blade which is agianst what the Jedi believe the force and light sabres are used for)

The diffrent types of sabres are more detailed than whats listed above.  For example Darth Vader has a longsword supernatural LASER Sith Sabre.

Besides, the crossguard blades aren't even flush with the main blade, meaning a lightsaber that slides along the blade and would threaten the hilt will simply cut through the crossguard projectors. Given that, what's the point of those hilt blades? Does he punch with them or something?

It very much depends on what the sabre is made out of and or sith magic was used in its creation.  Depending on howmuch energy went into the material it can be lightsabre proff till someone finds a krayt dragon pearl light sabre, nothing stops there blade except sith made material designed to stop that type of lightsabre, or sith created lightsabre crystal created to make the blade cut through anything. 

I've never seem Jedi fight in armour.

They used them during the clone wars more advanced armor was made for them right before order 66 so it never got to be used.  Its hard for Jedi to use them because the use of armor can conflict withe beliefs of the JEDI.

Sith on the other hand LOVE ARMOR.  With Sith alchemy you can make any materail do whatever you want, even make air into light sabre proof weapon that cuts like a light sabre.

Vader had lots of his armor, but not all, created into true dark armor.  The 1st Legion aka Shock Troopers aka Coruscant Guard were the best of the best storm troopers and there armor was sith dark armor.  I wouldnt be surprised if the Inquistion Dark Troopers had Sith Dark Armor.

I dont really like the design of the lightsaber. I think it would be cool if it just had a metal hilt (and if needed in the film, show that metal can block lightsaber blades).

To me the good thing about this lightsaber is that it means we will see a more medieval style of swordfight and people will stop using lightsabers like katanas. Yes, medieval swordfighting is not as cool and choreographic as what we are used to, but it is much more dramatic. I want weight in those lightsabers. I want that every blow counts. Enough of this:

Nick Grllard designed the light sabre fighting arts, it might look like they are using Japan style sword play BUT it real is orignal, or at the least is overall orignal with elements from other sword fighting arts including western fighting arts.

They're choreographed-looking because Jedi can predict what their foe is going to do. In the case of Anakin and Obi-Wan...

YES!!! And it always comes down who is more one with the force, who is more atuned to the force.  Thats why Jedi feel is unneccary to create all those offensive and defensive powers Sith do because if you let go and allow the force to follow through you, you can over come anything.

My thought when I saw this was...

Why don't ALL lightsabers have laser hilts? They invented hilts for a reason, as added protection. It only makes sense that new lightsabers would make the change to include this.

Jedi have very strict rules for how lightsabre can be built and what material can be used in its creation.  Sith dont have rules restricting the creation of there weapons.

It has been confirmed by ABC News, which has Disney as its parent company, that the lightsaber sound at the end of the trailer is revealed to be Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber from A New Hope.

Does that foreshadow anything?

In the Thrawn Trilogy, now no longer canon, The Emperor had kept Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber as part of a collection after Darth Vader severed Luke's hand in The Empire Strikes Back.

Its not decanonized.  Some parts of it may be considered noncanon but as a whole its still canon.  This is going off two statements made about SW canon months after the LEGENDS announcement.

Edited by Black Knight Leader

Some parts of it may be considered noncanon but as a whole its still canon.

It was never really Canon to start with. It was at best semi-canon, and depending on what happens in the movie it may be completely removed from any form of canon at all.

That's little more than someone who apparently doesn't know what they're talking about, ranting for the sake of ranting.

Cortosis while part of the EU is hardly unheard of by most fans and easy enough to introduce into the movie anyway.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I was referring to this specifically:

B3io8fvIEAElseR.png

The point is the new lightsaber doesn't work.  It has a poorly designed crossguard that can't do its job because lightsabers will go right through it.  A small change could have fixed that problem very easily.

I was referring to this specifically:

But we don't actually know that. It could be the cross pieces are made from Cortosis which can resist a light saber, so they'd function just fine.

Even if that's not true people are getting way too worked over such a small but cool looking thing.

B3io8fvIEAElseR.png

The point is the new lightsaber doesn't work.  It has a poorly designed crossguard that can't do its job because lightsabers will go right through it.  A small change could have fixed that problem very easily.

I assume that the cross blade continues into the metal tube. The metal is there to protect the users hands from sliding up into the blade, but a lightsaber that hits the metal may burn through it, but wouold then hit the blade underneath. Makes sense to me.

Also remember these guys are expert warriors in tune with the force. They know how to use a lightsaber without hurting themselves

B3io8fvIEAElseR.png

I assume that the cross blade continues into the metal tube. The metal is there to protect the users hands from sliding up into the blade, but a lightsaber that hits the metal may burn through it, but wouold then hit the blade underneath. Makes sense to me.

Also remember these guys are expert warriors in tune with the force. They know how to use a lightsaber without hurting themselves

That makes the most sense. Also, I know its EU, but there was a certain material that a lightsaber blade couldn't cut through. I think it was some type of rock. That could be the material used that's formed around the hilt.

Lightsabers are weapons that defy logic in and of themselves due to limitations we possess. However, Jedi can surpass these limitations because they have the force.

It has been displayed that...

Intrinsic to wielding a lightsaber, a Jedi or Sith must have a disciplined nigh additional sense about its presence.

As seen in the newest episode of Rebels, when Ezra attempts to defend Kanan with Kanan's own lightsaber, The Inquisitor merely pulls it away. While Gifted with the Force, this displays that to prevent this, a Jedi must be able to exert some sort of control over their lightsaber, or be aware of where it is, what it is doing. It is an extension of one's self, not just an object.

You can not pull a lightsaber out of a Jedi Master's hand, as it is part of them- an extension. This also means that causing a Jedi to harm themselves with a lightsaber is equally difficult. However, padawans and less experienced force users can have theirs used against them. This is of course, why masters always tell their pupils to run when another threat of equal skill or greater, to their master, has come into the fray. In addition to many other reasons.

Simply put, you just can't get hurt by your own lightsaber with the right training. So this is a perfectly safe weapon for a Jedi or Sith to use. As if lightsabers weren't already dangerous to the user in their default state.

Also! Ezra's lightsaber is pretty interesting!

eh-80050-star-wars-rebels-ezra-bridger-l

It's not a spoiler if the toys are already out in the market.

There is a reason that you will find very few examples of medieval swords with a cross guard that is pointed or sharpened. (you can find more historical examples of swords with a pistol integrated into it)
While a good technique will keep the cross guard from clashing with your forearm, swordplay is fluid and various counters and ripostes are designed to turn your blade to points that make it less effective or to even use it against you. The length or the guard shown also severely limits your ability to use a number of close in defensive techniques. (Should the style that this sith uses be focused offense then it does make some sense.)
There are a few manuscripts that show examples of using the cross guard in an offensive manner. This would be likely to be the idea for this weapon.

As someone pointed out a saber master , trained to use this weapon, with the force to call on, is going to have the ability to use this with endangering themselves.

My opinion is this is still a silly design.

I wonder if this will lead into a thing in wich each new jedi/sithlord has to have his own special lightweapon.

Double saber, purple saber (not gonna argue with Sam Jackson, but...why?), lighttonfas, lightclub, lightwhip, lightzweihander...

But whats the point of complaining, right? I might aswell think of a few lightweapons of my own:

Now about a light polearm/ glaive.  Or a trident! That would be cool to.

I'll argue with Sam Jackson. Why mess with an established mythos? If you love the mythos enough to beg to be put in it, don't ask for your favorite color that hasn't been a lightsaber yet. Don't trick it out with gold. 

But the real fault lies with Lucas, as with most things in Star Wars. He could have said, "No" to everything from making up a character for a popular actor who couldn't pull off the part to the color of his saber. I guess we should just thank The Force no boy bands ended up on the screen with Mace, Jar Jar, mitochondrial scientific explanations of spirituality, and all the other poor decisions.

Recently the subject of the original Star Wars poster came up in another thread. In that poster, Luke's lightsaber is thicker at the hilt than it is at the end. Do lightsabers taper all the way down? Are they rounded at the end like a hot dog or pointed like a pencil? Go back and watch all official incarnations, it is obvious that no one is sure.

All that being said, I don't like any deviation from light SABER. Light (Insert Exotic Weapon) has always just come off as pandering to fan boys as far as I'm concerned.

Every single person who says that new lightsaber "doesn't work" has no imagination.

Here's just a few ideas of practicality:

B3un8JBIYAAI25Y.png

That last one, specifically, is laughable. Having the leverage to block near the blade and strike with the tip is a basic maneuver in swordplay. The opposite just doesn't work owing to physics, anatomy, physiology, ergonomics . . . you want more? I have plenty.

EDIT: I have plenty of imagination. I went into fencing/kendo with several imaginative ideas given to me by movies and TV. Imagination doesn't win swordfights. Quite the opposite.

Edited by Haven13

There are metals that a lightsaber can't cut through. The hand grip and hilt can be made of that. Though I think that has been said.

Then why not just make the entire crossguard out of that stuff. You could even have a cutlas or cavalry saber style hand guard. There's no point in having little minisabers sticking out the sides of a lighstaber.

I wonder if this will lead into a thing in wich each new jedi/sithlord has to have his own special lightweapon.

Double saber, purple saber (not gonna argue with Sam Jackson, but...why?), lighttonfas, lightclub, lightwhip, lightzweihander...

But whats the point of complaining, right? I might aswell think of a few lightweapons of my own:

Now about a light polearm/ glaive.  Or a trident! That would be cool to.

I'll argue with Sam Jackson. Why mess with an established mythos? If you love the mythos enough to beg to be put in it, don't ask for your favorite color that hasn't been a lightsaber yet. Don't trick it out with gold. 

But the real fault lies with Lucas, as with most things in Star Wars. He could have said, "No" to everything from making up a character for a popular actor who couldn't pull off the part to the color of his saber. I guess we should just thank The Force no boy bands ended up on the screen with Mace, Jar Jar, mitochondrial scientific explanations of spirituality, and all the other poor decisions.

Recently the subject of the original Star Wars poster came up in another thread. In that poster, Luke's lightsaber is thicker at the hilt than it is at the end. Do lightsabers taper all the way down? Are they rounded at the end like a hot dog or pointed like a pencil? Go back and watch all official incarnations, it is obvious that no one is sure.

All that being said, I don't like any deviation from light SABER. Light (Insert Exotic Weapon) has always just come off as pandering to fan boys as far as I'm concerned.

I guess you don't like count Dooku's curved lighstaber grip either then. ;-)

The idea seemed intresting but when you are an evil sith lord the last thing you want to hear is "yo-dawg ur lightsaber is bent!"

Edited by Robin Graves

There is a reason that you will find very few examples of medieval swords with a cross guard that is pointed or sharpened. (you can find more historical examples of swords with a pistol integrated into it)

While a good technique will keep the cross guard from clashing with your forearm, swordplay is fluid and various counters and ripostes are designed to turn your blade to points that make it less effective or to even use it against you. The length or the guard shown also severely limits your ability to use a number of close in defensive techniques. (Should the style that this sith uses be focused offense then it does make some sense.)

There are a few manuscripts that show examples of using the cross guard in an offensive manner. This would be likely to be the idea for this weapon.

As someone pointed out a saber master , trained to use this weapon, with the force to call on, is going to have the ability to use this with endangering themselves.

My opinion is this is still a silly design.

Now I want a Lightsaber with a built in blaster pistol!