Sign in to follow this  
stooster99

Thoughts on the E-Wing?

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts on this ship are.

With 3 attack dice and 3 agility, not to mention the wealth of actions in it's bar, i'm just wondering of it's worth the extremely high point cost (27 points at its lowest!)

My brother often uses Knave Squadron pilot with R2-D2 in his builds, and it truly is a pain to take down. What is a good way to counter it? I often just surround it with Interceptors, but even then, the E-Wing's three agility makes it simply annoying!

So I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this ship( is it worth the points, how to counter it, etc.)

the generics are exceptionally overpriced

the characters are ball shrinkingly expensive, but their abilities and combination of system + astromech + EPT (PTL --> green manuever --> moar benefits) combined with fine pilot abilities makes them worth it, imo. Problem is you need to design the squad around them.

As for how to beat r2-d2, focus fire. You will be rewarded because the generics are horribly expensive

Edited by ficklegreendice

Corran Horn is legitimately awesome, but I have little to no use for the rest of them. Etahn SHOULD be cool, but as a "support" ship he eats too many points to really make the rest of the list all that great.

Ethan's not a support ship

He's a badass who happens to enable your other ships (his ability works on his attacks, too)

Ethan is one of those characters that becomes better the more ships you have and subsequently he thrives in bigger battles with a higher squad allowance. Corran on the other hand is expensive as gold and he only gets worse when he's fully equipped. Of course, he is friggin amazing any time he can get off his double tap. The generics are just plain hard to justify, too many points.

With eatin a boat you want to spam z-95's and enjoy the carnage, he does not really work in a three ship list in any of the games i've played.

Corran work's well in three ship lists you just need to minimize the incoming fire the next turn after he double taps, although he hasn't won my friends any games he has badly mauled several large based ships.

Also, a big problem with the E-wing is its loaded action bar that you just want to make use of, but holy god it's expensive.

Cheapest "awesome" build you can do is Etahn, PTL, Advanced (absolutely amazing when bumping makes life miserable), R2 Astromech at 39 points (42 if you use R2-D2 and like to go really really slowly). It's great fun, but **** hard to build a squad around.

For more "budget" E-wings (Corran, FCS, Marksman | Etahn, FCS, R7) trying to get more out of their action bar, Airen Cracken is an amazing squaddie. Also, at PS 10 w/Vet (or PS 8 w/Swarm to help out Etahn), he can save an E-wing's butt by trigger a barrel-roll before Whisper or PS 9 de jour gets to take a shot.

Airen also enables the "jesus christ, Corran, quit eating all the points!" build (Corran, PTL, Sensors, R2/R2-D2 for 42/45 points) by triggering a free action, such as target-lock, to set up for the potential second shot. Normally, you'd basically need FCS to make his ability justifiable. Now FCS is not bad at all, but when you really want to see what an E-wing can do, you want Advanced Sensors ;)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Uglier than a morlock.

Really?? I think it looks rather cool.

If you look at the cover of the new X-wing series book: "Mercy kill" maybe you will think otherwise.

Actually that pushed me from finding it "not objectionable or likeable" to "good lord kill it with fire" on the e wing. Someone did a shape ways variant a while back and that was beautiful. (so much so that that was the first time I've ever spelled beautiful right on the first try)

Uglier than a morlock.

If you look at the cover of the new X-wing series book: "Mercy kill" maybe you will think otherwise.

Actually that pushed me from finding it "not objectionable or likeable" to "good lord kill it with fire" on the e wing. Someone did a shape ways variant a while back and that was beautiful. (so much so that that was the first time I've ever spelled beautiful right on the first try)

You are wrongly, sir!

That's a dang fine looking craft...

493a184b1fb9ea328c8e5a94d25f3a215b5dd862

...sort of reminds me, for no reason I can think of, of a Bf-109.

Etahn is Ten Numb's best friend.  I recently took down a Decemator squad with Ten, Etahn and 2 Bandits. Etahn with a good sized squad eats Decemators for Breakfast. Everything that shoots it is going to get a crit and the Decemator can't do a thing about it... most of the time.

Uglier than a morlock.

Nope. Can't get past how stupid the top laser cannon is. Not that it is above the cockpit, it that the laser barrel is attached to the canopy, the base of the laser pulls back and the canopy flips up. Plus the engines barely look attached to the wings.

I will never like the look of that fugly ship.