Sign in to follow this  
Quendil

Y + R2D2?

Y-wings are fairly durable with 5 Hull and 3 shields but low defence.

Now, there are a few astro-mechs that are able to repair ships, so I am thinking about making a list with these.

Any one with experience of this?

Good/bad?

Problem with R2 on a Y-Wing, is that it becomes hideously predictable if you want to actually get a shield back. Basically, the opponent will know exactly where you will be without fail, since you cant turn or bank.

You can play a guessing game with them ofc and use this to fake them out (since if they know you will be at X, they will have to be at Y to shoot you, and now you can move something to Z to shoot them.....etc), but thats about all i can see getting out of it.

R2-D2 is a good Astromech for any ship able to take him but you have to have 2 things in mind when your thinking of putting him on a Y wing.  1. To activate R2-D2 you have to perform a green maneuver and Y wings don't have alot of those on their dials. More often than not you're doing a hard 2 or 3 turn.  2. Even if you're doing a green every turn it's only 1 shield coming back to your 1 agility ship a turn. If the ship carying R2-D2 gets focus fired you want more than 1 evade die to help mitigate those attacks.

Two problems here:

1) The y-wing has so few greens that you're almost certainly going to take more damage than you regain because your opponent knows exactly where you're going to be next turn and can focus fire.

2) The value of HP increases is propotional to the number of green dice protecting those HP. Adding +1 HP on a y-wing is worth less than adding +1 HP on an x-wing (and much less than an e-wing) because it takes fewer incoming shots to remove that HP. But you're still paying the same point cost for R2-D2. If it's a fair price on an x-wing you can almost guarantee that you're overpaying on a y-wing.

I would ignore a Y-Wing with R2-D2. R2-D2 can't replenish shields, that are not diminished, so he will be wasted points till the endgame. I can ignore the Y-Wing quite safely, as it has meagre firepower. In the endgame, a Y-Wing with its "pigs in space" dial is what you wish for.

Maybe try R5-D8 with a hull upgrade?

What in think is better is the R4-D6 that cancels attacks down to a max of 2 damage. With only 1 spitful green dice, basicly all damage will be getting through, so attacks that meet the conditions of 3 or more uncancled hits happens more often.

It really plays havoc with the mind game of players of HLC's and Phantoms, because they feel like they waste a good shot on that particular y-wing if they shoot it. With 8 total health, it will take 4 shots total to kill it at a minimum, and when elite PS lists have only around 3 ships, they tend to either waste shots on the y-wing or ignore it until the end. Think of it as a 24 point goldie + ion turret + R4-D6 punching bag. The opponent either needs to comitte all 100 points of his list to kill it and can't rely on 4-5 dice attacks to kill it in two shots, while your 76 remaing points of ships are unbothered for the first round or two of shooting, or they can choose to just ignore it and the 24 point Goldie will try its damndest to ionize that 46 point phantom.

Anyways, I think you will get more use cancelling hits from non-tie swarms out of that 1 point droid than you will regenerating shields with a 4 point droid with a one agility ship. On an e-wing however... (or Luke with lone wolf), r2 or p9 is awesome and unfair :P

R4's on Y-wings rule! (Unless its a 2-attack ship swarm)

I really don't see the appeal of the R4. You're preventing some damage against the biggest guns, but only at the cost of getting a giant pile of stress tokens that you will never clear. An actionless y-wing is a pathetic threat, and the droid isn't going to keep it alive all that much longer. The correct way to look at the R4 is as an insurance policy against a key ship (Biggs, for example) dying in one shot because of bad defense dice, not an every-turn damage prevention upgrade.

Alright, have it your way.

I used to think that the R4 was a peice of junk, but now with ships that have attacks of 4 and a greater prevalence of ships with a cannon slot, I dusted mine off and have found that most people dont know what to make of it, and don't know what to do about it.

I would never put it on a x or e wing, but a y-wing is a good candidate.

Well here is the reasons for this.

Often i find y-wings being the ships that are useful in the end of the battle.

They don't turn well, but they don't have to with the turrets.

They can handle a fair amount of hits with 5 hull and 3 shields, but they cannot dodge much.

But this weakness is countered a bit if they can regenerate shields.

This does not only go for r2d2 but other astro-mechs that regenerate the ship.

I Love y-wings, and I find one of 2 things happen. They get attacked early on by those who fear the ion turret, or they get ignored. If the enemy focuses on it early, you get a biggs like effect for free. If they leave it alone, that ion turret can make them pay in a big way. either way, I find y-wings often more than pull their weight, especially dutch. I like running him with the boost bot. I think it is R7-T1, but the one that forces an enemy to reroll his dice is also good on dutch, as he usually has a target lock on the one doing the shooting.

With a turret, y-wings don't need to handle all that well, but adding engine upgrade or the boost bot can really mess with your enemy, as your "space pig" is never where they think it is going to be.