Sign in to follow this  
Gentlemanbastard

Enchanter and Magic stream cards etc...

If you draw the enchanter card on your move and have a craft of 4 or more do you get the perk or do you end your turn then the next person to land on the space gets the perk?

Likewise if you draw the magic stream on your turn do you place 3 strengh tokens on it instead of 4 as you have taken one for drawing the card or do you place 4 on it end your turn then it's only if you land on it again do you gain 1str?

As for the Magic Stream, way back in 2nd edition, I wasn't sure on this rule, so added it to my collection of rule clarifications and forced everyone playing to leave the Stream getting none. We now know it is available to the finder. And my friends still make fun of that list of rules I had.

Thankfully, we now have FAQ's, this forum, and better rules in general and it is now known you can drink from this right away.

Edited by DomaGB

Back in 2nd edition, we argued about this and found 3 way to play this:

1. Like said above - find the stream, put 4 tokens but don't drink from it, have to come back to get +1 strength or craft...

2. - find the stream, drink from it, get a token right away, leave 3 tokens on the card.

3. - find the stream, drink from it, put 4 tokens on it, add +1 to craft or strength, leave 4 tokens on card.

We finally settle for #2.

Anybody as any other variant!!!!

Cheers.

Magic Stream

Place a total of four Strength here when revealed. You may drink at the Stream once per visit and increase your Strength by taking one Strength from the Stream. When all 4 have been taken, the Stream vanishes to the discard pile.

Enchanter

An Enchanter seeks an able adventurer. To the first character landing here with a Craft of 4 or more he will grant one of the following wishes of his choice, then vanish to the discard pile: Gain one Spell, gold, Strength, Craft, life, or fate; or teleport to any space in this Region.

The term "visit" and "landing here" is the same as "encounter" so when a player encounters these cards they get the effect (if they have what the card says). You "may" drink from the Steam thus you start by placing 4 tokens on it. I have never seen anyone we doesn't but who knows what new sets will bring :).

Edited by Uvatha

I try to see cards like the enchanter as already the space even though it's impossible to know that until you land there and flip the card. But if he's already there waiting for an able adventurer the card is easier to understand. At least for me.

Edited by Rigmaster

I try to see cards like the enchanter as already the space even though it's impossible to know that until you land there and flip the card. But if he's already there waiting for an able adventurer the card is easier to understand. At least for me.

The problem is in the wording "to land on". It's not a self-explanatory wording; it requires perfect understanding of its meaning. It means "to end movement on a space".

If you know you cannot land on cards, but only on spaces, then it is clear why the instruction "to the first character landing here" means "to the first character landing on this space". Moreover, a card requires to be encountered to resolve its text, so this doesn't work if you just land on the space and don't encounter the card.

Your character has just landed on the space, even though he could not have landed on the card because it was still to be drawn. Anyway, remember you cannot "land on cards"; you "encounter" cards. The card is encountered and you have landed on the space, so this is perfectly fine to establish that Enchanter is resolved in the same turn when it is drawn.

Edited by The_Warlock