Sign in to follow this  
Lionus

Additional use(s) of fate

Looking at the back of the GM screen this weekend, I noticed something different than I expected and remembered. I've been very wrong about a use of fate for a very very long time. I always thought that one use of fate was to gain an additional half action in a round. I thought it was very fitting and cinematic, and have always allowed it; especially since it's led to some really great and fun scenes. I didn't see that on the GM screen, so I looked at the page it said, and it wasn't there. I looked back in my 1st edition book, and it wasn't there either. I have absolutely no idea where I got the idea from, and it's always been a thing in the games I've run. I don't intend to stop letting that be an option for my players. My question is, does anyone have any idea where that might have come from? And although I like it, gaining an additional half action in a round can be pretty game breaking. Am I alone in thinking this is an appropriate use of fate?

A Half Action can do a great many things. For the price of "only" a Fate point, I think players will go overboard with a Half Action to do anything they want. I could see a Talent or something allowing a once/encounter Half Action to, say, Reload, but allowing free reign over the Half Action is a big red flag for me.

I don't recall any book mentioning that Fate points could be used to generate extra Actions directly, though there are artefacts and psychic powers that do so off the top of my head.

Well, you're still limited to one Attack Action per round, so an extra Half Action is not game-breaking.

I vaguely recall having seen this extra half-action thing before as well, but can't recall where...

Right, it still doesn't allow 2 of any of the same type of action, but comes in incredibly useful when that extra +10 for a full round aim or a quick reload and shoot makes all the difference in the galaxy. Plus, it does lend a cinematic air to boss fights and more epic combats. I'm pretty fortunate to have good players that don't try to abuse it. Maybe there was a further restriction to it that I can't remember. I'm going to keep looking, but if you remember where it came from, please let me know.