Sign in to follow this  
Thanatopsis

The Hero Championship 2014

I'm going to put a list mostly according to quality (in my opinion, of course)

A. Theoden. I like balanced heroes who can serve several purposes, and the defunct king of Rohan is a good quester, and even if not amazingly, he can combat decently too. Nori is a good hero too, but not so versatile and depends too much on dwarf synergy to be awesome. And Théoden gets the Villeneuve point ^^.

B. Brand. Apparently I am one of the very few who likes these two heroes since I don't like playing solo (it's not Brand's fault to have that face). It was a tough call, even more against Villeneuve point but once again, with his special ability Brand proves to be more versatile (even with that huh? face of his). Not like it matters since Éowyn will obliterate him in the next round but, GO BRAND! 

C. Éowyn. Dwalin, you never were a particularly good hero (even if yours is one of the dwarf designs I like better), and your ally version is much more useful... you never stood a chance.

D. Thorin. I like the twins, but the fact that you need both for them to be good still hurts. Thorin is a nice quester, and has decent attack power and he is a dwarf (even if I don't like dwarves I have to acknowledge their power). Once again, sorry, Villeneuve point (even more against the holy bearded mother)

E. Frodo. I actually like Hirluin, since he's one of the very few ranged heroes out of tactics and I love his name in Spanish - Hirluin el Hermoso, but Frodo's ability to sponge damage has saved me lots of times.

F. Thalin. Ori needs more preparation to be really good and with the increase of damage to staging area cards I think Thalin became a more solid choice (particularly combined with Haldir and the ranger bows) and in combat is more or less okay.

G. Boromir (T). I like Caldara, a lot. But the problem is that even if she has an interesting ability and the Villeneuve point... she is pretty weak as a hero per se. Not a great quester and a pitiful fighter. And I like the alternative art of Boromir.

H. Eleanor. I think both are amazingly good, providing permanent cancel ability but, truth to be told, end-breaking cards are usually treachery cards. I can't recall how many times has she already saved my group's ass. Maybe with peril rules and the late development of cannot be cancelled cards she might be becoming weaker but still pretty solid. And last nail to Balin's coffin, Villeneuve point.

I. Glorfindel. Yes, I know, I deserve dead for not choosing Imrahil but I think lore Glorfindel is actually a pretty underrated hero (he's only real downside is the existence of spirit Godfidel). He is a good quester, good attacker and, paired with Elrond, healing when you really need it, from the very beginning. Pity the art is kind of meh. It was a hard choice, though.

J. Fatty. I don't think in multiplayer Denethor is such a good hero even if he can be a decent defender. I like the hobbit since it's a good way to make use of a really low threat (it's not really that useful to 20 less than the rest of the party) and sometimes can be really helpful. Not great but not bad.

K. Bifur. Low threat, and good ability; very good to stabilize multisphere decks.

L. Idraen. The macho-girl versatility is what makes her so good. With well-rounded attributes and auto-ready ability I think she is pretty good. I think Peregrin is a good hero but that fragility of his makes me a little bit nervous in certain scenarios.

M. Merry. Dunhere is good hero but when it comes to versatility, Merry is better, as a quester and even as a fighter (particularly for his readying ability). Low threat is also a good think. The only thing that almost made me choose Dunhere is the same reason why I discarded Pippin, those 2 hp...

N. Gandalf. Hands down, a beast of a hero. Both amazing and well-rounded attributes and a great ability (also comes with a lot of accessories, like a Barbie). I don't like him that much because I think the ally is very helpful and versatile but the fact that he is a beast cannot be denied. Poor Bombur, bat match-up.

O. Beravor. Only because of her (his?) versatility. Not amazing at anything but can quest, fight or provide cards. Tough call, though, since I think Haldir is a powerhouse but I always prefer versatility if I can choose. And I don't like heroes with an ally version.

P. Galadriel. I think she will be a dark horse of this tournament. The more I use her the more I think she is awesome. With easy-to-flee allies such as Gandalf, Elrond, Refugees, Saruman, she multiplies their usefulness allowing them to use their awesome questing power and then fight or chumpblock. Also free threat lowering and drawing effect? Yes, please.

Q. Beorn. I like bears and in this case, Beorn is a "beast" fighting with base 5 atk power and non-exhausting defense. Once again, I like the twins but their mutual dependence makes them a harder pick.

R. Mablung. Probably one of the tightest fights. Resource acceleration is always a good thing. However, tactics really needed resource acceleration while in leadership are several other options. And Mablung is a more well-rounded character. 

S. Celeborn. Stronger hero, stronger ability, Magali Villeneuve. 

T. Gimli. Awesome versatility and the dwarf trait. It could have been a harder fight if Bilbo had a realistic initial threat like 6 or 7 (I don't think his ability deserves making his threat so high with such crappy attributes).

U. Háma. I like them both but the recycling ability of Háma can be really good and Wormtongue is not really that popular in multiplayer since he can crash your party strategy.

V. Dain. I think Spirit Pippin is not that bad, but Lore one is much better and Dain is the cornerstone of the over 9000 dwarves.

W. Mirlonde. Once again a tough call. Even if both of them are pretty specific at what they do (Éomer is there to kill and Mirlonde to quest) the fact that Mirlonde is one of the very few choices besides Godfindel to try secrecy makes her a little bit better and being a Silvan can sponge a little bit of damage. 

A-Theoden
B-Bard
C-Eowyn
D-Thorin
E-Frodo
F-Thalin
G-Caldara
H-Eleanor
I-Imrahil
J-Denethor
K-Bifur
L-Pippin
M-Merry
N-Gandalf
O-Beravor
P-Galadriel
Q-Beorn
R-Theodred
S-Celeborn
T-Gimli
U-Hama
V-Dain
W-Eomer

Guys, if Bilbo's properly used he is one of the best heroes. All you need is Protector of Lorien and fast Hitch.

Cost = 2

Power = unlimited

To summarize:

Best quester.

Best defender.

Can draw cards.

Is a Hobbit!

A - Theoden King!

B - Bard

C - Eowyn

D - Elrohir

E - Frodo

F - Thalin

G - Boromir

H - Eleanor

I - Imrahil

J - Denethor

K - Bifur

L - Idraen

M - Merry

N - Gandalf

O - Haldir

P - Galadriel

Q - Beorn

R - Theodred

S - Celeborn

T - Bilbo

U  Grima

V - Pippin

W - Eomer

No justification.

Edited by shipwreck

Hi,

Nice topic! :)

A - Théoden

B - Bard the Bowman

C - Éowyn

D - Thorin Oakenshield

E - Frodo Baggins

F - Thalin

G - Boromir

H - Balin

I - Prince Imrahil

J - Denethor

K - Bifur

L - Pippin (Lo)

M - Dunhere

N - Gandalf

O - Haldir of Lórien

P - Galadriel

Q - Beorn

R - Mablung

S - Celeborn

T - Gimli

U - Hama

V - Dain Ironfoot

W - Éomer

A – Theoden : Doesn't matter if the hero card isn't perfect... it's Theoden!

B – Bard the Bowman : Benefits from a weak first round opponent (Brand)who has such ugly artwork.

C – Eowyn : She finds her way into so many decks... and he card boosting willpower ability is great.

D – Elrohir: Elrohir works so well with Elladan, and the Dwarf heroes just aren’t very interesting right now.

E – Frodo Baggins: Frodo is a very useful hero… and I am not voting for Outlands anything.

F – Thalin: While Ori is basically going to be in dwarf only decks, Thalin is versatile and can be used in many decks.

G – Boromir (T): Bad ass.  And Caldara is just weird.

H – Eleanor: Gorgeous artwork, handles the Palantir nicely, what’s not to like?

I – Prince Imrahil: Very versatile.

J – Denethor: Under-rated in the game.  Are you really going to pick Fatty over Denethor?

K – Bifur: Another dwarf, like Thalin, that is very useful in a variety of combinations and not just dwarf decks.

L – Pippin (Lo): This one is close, but I just really like Pippin.  And this one is so much better than the other Pippin.

M – Dunhere:  Dunhere has gotten really fun to play as the card pool has grown.

N – Gandalf:  Gandalf or a fat dwarf???  Gandalf, enough said. 

O – Haldir of Lorien: This one is close, but I love Haldir’s ability.

P – Galadriel: I heart Galadriel.

Q – Beorn: I like Elladan, but Beorn is just so different, and so useful .

R – Theodred: Theodred is under rated and still useful in a variety of decks and particularly in 2,3 or 4 player games.

S – Celeborn: Great card, great hero… pulls the whole Silvan thing together.

T – Gimli: Gimli is here just because he helped me finally beat Heirs of Numenor back in the day.

U – Grima: Totally cool thematically.  Love the artwork and his ability.

V – Dain Ironfoot:  Dain only gets my vote because Pippin (S) is crap.

W – Mirlonde: While I really like Eomer.  I just love Mirlonde in my Lore decks.

Guys, if Bilbo's properly used he is one of the best heroes. All you need is Protector of Lorien and fast Hitch.

Cost = 2

Power = unlimited

To summarize:

Best quester.

Best defender.

Can draw cards.

Is a Hobbit!

I'm sorry, but trashing your entire hand every round to keep from losing a hero that shouldn't be defending without more help doesn't sound like a great game plan. Granted, he provides the extra cards you need for trashing, but I prefer to USE my cards, not discard them. He would need 1 more "permanent" defense and at least one more hit point for me to trust him.

A: Théoden- I am on fan of Theoden, but he is better than Nori. And I believe that Theodens day will once come and he will become stronger.

B: Bard- He is less bad
C: Eowyn- Eowyn is here since the core set, and she has always been one of the most used heroes. It is just a useful quester.
D: Elrohir- As I said I am not fan of dwarves. And twins decks are very interesting.
E: Frodo- Easy decision.
F: Ori- The few games I played Ori, he was fun to play. Shame he is dependent on dwarves so much.
G: Boromir (T)- Caldara just does not work for me. 
H: Balin- His ability is getting more and more useful with each expansion. His biggest advantage is, that he is the only hero that can skip shadow effects.
I: Prince Imrahil- Always useful readying ability.
J: Denethor- I used him a lot in core set. Very good for solo games.
K: Bifur- good ability, low threat. It is like he gives lore resource icon to one another hero, but better. :D

L: Pippin (L)- this guy is amazing. Not only in hobbit decks, but also outside of it for his low threat and ability.
M: Dunhere- Hard decision, but I just love direct damaging and staging area attacks.
N: Gandalf- Bombur has useless ability, for my playstyle.
O: Haldir of Lorien- of course Haldir! One of my absolutely favourite heroes. He is amazing, well balanced stats and ability.
P: [Leadership hero]-amazing ability
Q: Beorn- very unique hero. Sometimes you dont care about combos and tactics and you just run Beorn and kill everything.
R: Mablung- I dont like Theodred
S: Celeborn- I love Silvan decks
T: Gimli- the whole idea of his ability is amazing. And it is also useful.
U: Hama- You can make amazing interesting decks with Hama. Not that Grimas ability is not unique, but Hama is better.
V: Dain Ironfoot- I know that everyone will vote for Pippin, cos noone uses Dain, but for me Dain is quite OK hero, he is not that bad.
W: Eomer- Amazing hero

Second day totals have been updated.

While there is still a lot of opportunity for every match-up, four in particular have become quite exciting.

Thorin (20) vs. Elrohir (22)

Balin (19) vs Eleanor (23)

Pippin (22) vs. Idraen (20)

Hama (24) vs. Grima (18)

I'm loving everyone's commentary and really looking forward to the next round. Our top 10 from last year each had a bye and things are sure to get heated.

Cost = 2

Power = unlimited

To summarize:

Best quester.

Best defender.

Can draw cards.

Is a Hobbit!

I'm sorry, but trashing your entire hand every round to keep from losing a hero that shouldn't be defending without more help doesn't sound like a great game plan. Granted, he provides the extra cards you need for trashing, but I prefer to USE my cards, not discard them. He would need 1 more "permanent" defense and at least one more hit point for me to trust him.

Uhm, I played with him and it worked out brilliantly. Arwen gives him that point, or you play the Boots of Erebor on him.

And regardng the waste management part, IMO it's better to use all your cards instead of having some of them left in your hand. Bilbo's like the Darwin of this game - he let's the fittest cards survive and cares for those who are not so fit.

I played with him and it worked out brilliantly. Arwen gives him that point, or you play the Boots of Erebor on him.

And regardng the waste management part, IMO it's better to use all your cards instead of having some of them left in your hand.

You said all you need is Protector of Lorien and Fast Hitch. I assumed that you actually meant that that was all you needed. In many cases, that will be true, but if you use PoL too much, you'll run out of cards so you'll want some more permanent boosts. If you can get Arwen and the Boots out, then I would consider him much more usable. I still prefer a defender that can do a decent job right out of the gate (3+ defense and hit points base), but if you were able to set up quickly enough, then I wouldn't mind using him. The issue is that Denethor has a lower starting threat and starts off with these base stats so is much more useful. Not to mention he can get a permanent +2 defense with Shield of Gondor. Bilbo has the advantage that a lot of the cards that he can use to become a decent defender reside in his own sphere or are neutral (aside from Arwen), but even Denethor could use Protector of Lorien.

I just don't see the point of gimping yourself with a weak defender to start if you can get a notably stronger one with less threat. The card draw is a strong consideration, but it's not too hard to get the card draw you need from Lore without him. His Hobbit trait is useful in certain decks, but under usual circumstances I'd take someone else instead.

I don't want to be stomping all over your opinion or anything, but your argument is that Bilbo is a great defender. With your logic, almost any hero can be a good defender if you devote enough deck space to making them so, which is actually true. So really, Bilbo's only real strength is the one everyone already knows about: card draw.

Bilbo is a great defender mainly because of his ability to attach Fast Hitch which enables him to defend multiple times. And hey, of course you should have A Burning Brand, too. Bilbo's sphere also gives him access to instant healing power. With these attachments and his lore sphere only Beregond is comparable to him when it's about defending.

Alas, it would be a real shame if Bilbo wouldn't even make it to round 2. He truly deserves it!

Bilbo is a great defender mainly because of his ability to attach Fast Hitch which enables him to defend multiple times. And hey, of course you should have A Burning Brand, too. Bilbo's sphere also gives him access to instant healing power. With these attachments and his lore sphere only Beregond is comparable to him when it's about defending.

Alas, it would be a real shame if Bilbo wouldn't even make it to round 2. He truly deserves it!

I have used Bilbo as defender like this, but it was ages ago when attacks used to be 2 or 3. In the more recent scenarios 3 -5 attack strength is becoming the norm, so I'm not sure how he would hold up nowadays, since he could get hit hard early on and he need s a bit of set up with the cards you mentioned.

Look at Three trials for instance. Bilbo would not stand a chance, where there a re a number of other defenders that can hold there own. I'd say second best defender is pushing it. He's decent, but i think the best defenders now are from gondor and have easy access to Gondorian shield. If not from Gondor then they get SoG to provide the trait.

Elrohir is a far far better defender than Bilbo.... But then again in my opinion so are Beregond and Denethor as well!

A. Theoden

B. Bard the Bowman

C. Eowyn

D. Elrohir

E. Frodo Baggins

F. Thalin

G. Boromir

H. Balin

I. Prince Imrahil

J. Denethor

K. Bifur

L. Pippin

M. Merry

N. Gandalf

O. Haldir of Lorien

P. Galadriel

Q. Elladan

R. Theodred

S. Celeborn

T. Bilbo Baggins

U. Hama

V. Dain Ironfoot

W. Eomer

Elrohir is a far far better defender than Bilbo.... But then again in my opinion so are Beregond and Denethor as well!

I agree and would throw in Elrond here too... healing boost can be very helpful whilst waiting for; Cloak of Lorien, Protector of  Lorien and Arwen etc to show up...