Sign in to follow this  
Thanatopsis

The Hero Championship 2014

AV – Eowyn – A very interesting matchup that often plays out when I am deck building. There was a time not long ago I would have called Frodo superior due to his versatility and synergies. But Eowyn frees you up to do all sorts of other things with the other heroes and cards. While she is boring, she enables the rest of the deck to be very much not boring.  One the other hand, Frodo stopped finding his way into my decks largely because it always seemed like an upgrade to swap in Eowyn. So I wouldn’t be honest with myself if I didn’t vote for Eowyn here . . . which disappoints me a bit.

AW – Beregond – This is nearly a toss up for me. Both are fantastic heroes and oddly enough great defenders. It is the sentinel key word that makes the difference. In an intentional deck pairing, a strong sentinel defender first turn is really powerful and once again enables the rest of the heroes/decks to do cool things.

AX – Gandalf – This one is a no brainer. I greatly enjoy the fiddlyness of Gandalf. Lots and lots of decisions. Lots and lots of versatility. And THE best card sifter by far if built right (around zero cost events). This once again enables lots of strategies since it is much easier to promote your combos . . . which is awesome. I can’t wait to see shadowfax.

AY – Aragorn – The weakest pairing in an otherwise strong round. My love for Silvan is still developing. My respect for building around Aragorn remains. Gandalf should crush whoever emerges here.

AV- Eowyn.  Frodo lost a lot of value for me because you can't play him in the saga expansions.  Plus, he always seems to be odd man out when I build mono-Spirit decks.  Eowyn is just so good  
AW- Beregond.  Elrond is great, but all Elrond decks sort of play the same.  I don't even think that Beregond is the best defender in the game (Elrohir takes that title), but there needs to be a Tactics hero in the finals and he's still great.  
AX- Gandalf Toughest choice for me because I love both, but Gandalf enables all kinds of fun shenanigans so he gets the nod.  I wish this matchup was the final pairing.
AY-Aragorn: Celeborn is great, and deserves to be in the final 8 as the cornerstone of a great archetype.  But unless you're playing Sylvan, there's no real reason to run him.  Aragorn got a huge boost from the doomed cards,and he's got a lot more going on for him with all the toys that target him.

Edited by Glowwyrm

AV- Eowyn.  Frodo lost a lot of value for me because you can't play him in the saga expansions.  Plus, he always seems to be odd man out when I build mono-Spirit decks.  Eowyn is just so good  

AW- Beregond.  Elrond is great, but all Elrond decks sort of play the same.  I don't even think that Beregond is the best defender in the game (Elrohir takes that title), but there needs to be a Tactics hero in the finals and he's still great.  

AX- Gandalf Toughest choice for me because I love both, but Gandalf enables all kinds of fun shenanigans so he gets the nod.  I wish this matchup was the final pairing.

AY-Aragorn: Celeborn is great, and deserves to be in the final 8 as the cornerstone of a great archetype.  But unless you're playing Sylvan, there's no real reason to run him.  Aragorn got a huge boost from the doomed cards,and he's got a lot more going on for him with all the toys that target him.

Couldn't agree more re Elrohir!

AV - Frodo (Stupid Frodo eliminated Elrohir but hes better than boring old Eowyn for sure)

AW - Elrond (Beregond is far too one dimensional and without an inbuilt readying effect he pales in comparision to Elrohir unless you put like 3 unexpected courages on him, Elrond however is just a beast with his healing bonus, being able to pay for allies of any sphere and being both a great defender AND quester, plus anyone who commented on Beregond's art, Elrond's art is one of the best of all the heroes in the game in my opinion!

AX - Galadriel (Screw Gandalf... actually couldn't get into either of these heroes and neither suits my play style plus Gandalf is OP but I definitely prefer Galadriel)

AY - Celeborn (Lore Aragorn is great but Celeborn just makes Silvans and is a powerhouse quester and pretty decent defender as well, plus he is shiny and new to the game and to me as I just started using him)

You and I certainly value different things in heroes. :)

Well we both picked Galadriel :)

I think the reason I don't mind the one-trick-pony type hero is because they tend to be really good at what they do.  As Beano pointed out above, this means you free up some slots in your deck for other stuff.  Eowyn takes care of questing really well, so I don't have to devote quite so much quest space for high willpower allies, or +willpower attachments/events, etc.  I like versatile heroes plenty as well, but you end up needing to build around the diversity so you make sure you don't get "wasted" stats.  This in turn mean you end up using the same hero-readying cards in deck after deck after deck, and they end up feeling the same.  The high stat heroes allow more deck diversification, maybe, but... there are few high stat heroes, so then you end up getting the same hero again and again.  Hm, looks like there's an argument to be made either way!

This round was easier for me.

AV - Éowyn. - questing & card disposal. (Being Rohan helps too)

AW - Elrond - versatile and the lynchpin of my favourite Elven decks. May not have as high defensive value but there are plenty of good lore options to more than compensate.

AX - Galadriel - haven't used Gandalf yet and Galadriel is awesome

AY - Celeborn - Go Silvan!!

Tough choice, but I'd have to vote Eowyn. I really like frodo in certain decks, but Eowyn fits in to decks more easily. Plus I enjoy the saga quests, and we can't use this version of Frodo in them, so he's seen less play from me this year compared to last year.

Elrond. Beregond is undoubtably a great hero, but overall Elrond is just more useful to me (though admittedly costly).

Gandalf. I really like Galadriel, but I've been having such a blast of late with the Gandalf hero that for now he's my pick. Once i've had more play with Galadriel that may change, but based on my play up to now, it's Gandalf. Besides, I'd be suprised if some erratta or counter-strategy doesn't appear to tackle his overpowered-ness, so he may as well get some praise while he can.

Aragorn. Celeborn is great, and i'm starting to get more into the silvan decks, but Aragorn has been a solid hero in many of my decks. And he's the King.

Disappointed the Glorfindel was eliminated. I know the trend now amongst a lot of players is to dislike him, but he enables building interesting decks with some of the newer costlier heroes by balancing them out with a low-threat all-rounder.

AV - Eowyn

A2 - Elrond

AX - Gandalf

AY - Aragorn

None of the four was an easy choice... too sad to have to choose between Gandalf and Galadriel, they could easily have been my choices to be in the "final" :(

AV- Éowyn- no doubt, she is only hero with 4 willpower who can use it without any other cards

AW- Beregond- Elrond has too many wasted stats for me and Beregond is amazing tank

AX- Galadriel- so unique, so useful and still not broken unlike Gandalf

AY- Celeborn- such a well designed leader of his faction. Dain should learn from him