Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Auto Thrusters - Death of X-Wing

Well he is correct in that the star viper (or space insect as that is what it looks like) doesn't look star warsy...doesn't have that look and feel...and now I am going to have to buy one of these horrid looking ships to get auto thrusters....

CURSE YOU FFG!!

Right? Autothrusters are (currently, but keeping a semi-open mind) my only interest in picking up a Star Viper.

It's even worse because there are only two in the package. Now I have to buy multiples!  :unsure:

Only two? I am grateful there are that many! What a relief! Yes, this card is as awesome as I'd hoped, but not overpowered imho.

Knowing ffg, I'm surprised they haven't found away to release half a card per expansion!

I'm frankly shocked that som many people liked Shadows of the Empire. I thought it was a pretty cliched hack job piece of fan fiction.

I'm also not fond of the Star Viper's looks. About as bad as the E-Wing, but at least it looks Star Wars-ey. Don't get the bug comparison for the SV though. Don't see bug there at all. I do hope that having a 3D model of the thing will improve its looks, I have only seen 2D representations.

Despite all of that, I will probably get 3 of them eventually. I am far more concerned with how it plays in the game than the source material and I can live with 1 dumb looking ship per faction.

Grats FFG - you have just officially killed X-Wing.  Wave 5 has only been on store shelves for about 30 minutes, and already you have revealed the death of all turretted ships with this ridiculous card.  

Guess I will cancel my Wave 5 pre-order.  Turrtted ships are now officially dead, and that means no more falcon.  Good bye thematic play, good bye "Star Wars" look and feel.   way to ruin a once-good game. 

Totally joking here.   Just figured I was surprised nobody had done a "Sky is falling" thread yet. 

May want to get them Wave 5 ships Crabby.....a YT-2400 with Autoblasters and Outrider can negate that evade from outside the arc.  While it may not be the greatest thing againt most it will shut down Autothrusters.

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist

I'm frankly shocked that som many people liked Shadows of the Empire. I thought it was a pretty cliched hack job piece of fan fiction.

I'm also not fond of the Star Viper's looks. About as bad as the E-Wing, but at least it looks Star Wars-ey. Don't get the bug comparison for the SV though. Don't see bug there at all. I do hope that having a 3D model of the thing will improve its looks, I have only seen 2D representations.

Despite all of that, I will probably get 3 of them eventually. I am far more concerned with how it plays in the game than the source material and I can live with 1 dumb looking ship per faction.

I do not get the E-Wing hate. The only complaint I can accept is that it doesn't look as 'Star Wars' as the other ships.

That's true in that the E-Wing doesn't look as "designed by an 8 yo" stupid as the rest of the ships. It looks like it is actually capable of flight.

I have seen that pic before and yes, it looks a lot better than what we ended up with. But what we did get still looks better than a lot of what we have.

E-Wing could have looked better is valid.

E-Wing looks bad, not so much.

Grats FFG - you have just officially killed X-Wing.  Wave 5 has only been on store shelves for about 30 minutes, and already you have revealed the death of all turretted ships with this ridiculous card.  

Guess I will cancel my Wave 5 pre-order.  Turrtted ships are now officially dead, and that means no more falcon.  Good bye thematic play, good bye "Star Wars" look and feel.   way to ruin a once-good game. 

Rebel tears ... so adorable!

Rebel tears ... so adorable!

read the thread before posting

Okay to be more on the serious side.  I've never really like the Star Viper.  But one thing is that it looks so unique.  Maybe that's the point.  I've enjoyed Star Wars X-Wing; I like the two sides; I like the ship designs; I even like the TIE Defender (mostly) even though many say it is just adding extra panels.  I don't really see the need for a third faction.  That's me.  BUT!!!

Why not?  A little variety.  If they keep the S&V faction as a team that doesn't want to work together; totally unique designs; completely different feel to flying them (crossing my fingers).  Me I'd mostly likely stick with the original Star Wars forces but it's a big galaxy.  Just no uglies please.

Paul Heaver predicted it in his interview iwth Team Covenant - saying that he hoped the Star Viper would bring this game back to it's roots with Arc Dodging and that sort of play.  I think he got his wish.  I can really see this being a fun game again.  Combine this sort of thing with Stay On Target, and alot of the new meta may indeed shift to having less and less turrets.

Contrary to my original post, I'm actually very pleased with this announcement, and while turrets can be fun once in awhile, I also feel they take the entire movement portion out of the game and just turn it into a pure dice game.

I also feel they take the entire movement portion out of the game and just turn it into a pure dice game.

Not quite: turret ships pay for their turrets with firepower disadvantages: they need to maneuver to prevent themselves from being focused down. Likewise, the opponent needs to get their ships at the safest range, block the turretship and get as many guns to bear on it at once as they can. Maneuvering's still there. Tactics are different, not absent.

What they do do is turn up the attrition element significantly.

Paul Heaver predicted it in his interview iwth Team Covenant - saying that he hoped the Star Viper would bring this game back to it's roots with Arc Dodging and that sort of play.  I think he got his wish.  I can really see this being a fun game again.  Combine this sort of thing with Stay On Target, and alot of the new meta may indeed shift to having less and less turrets.

Contrary to my original post, I'm actually very pleased with this announcement, and while turrets can be fun once in awhile, I also feel they take the entire movement portion out of the game and just turn it into a pure dice game.

I think you're mostly right. It is more fun to fly non-turret ships against each other because outmaneuvering an opponent is a satisfying thing to do. On the other hand an iconic ship like the falcon always deserves to be played and also to be competitive.

I actually don't think there was any general problem before they announced the autothrusters though. For me it only allows to give a well deserved buff to a certain kind of ship. I mean you talk about Paul Heaver, so you should exactly know that his adversaries were not exactly chanceless just because he flew Fat Han. It is a competitive list of course but the reasons he won the championship (against an arc-dodging phantom btw.) were to be found in a lot of other factors. In the final match he plain outflew his opponent for instance!

I, for one, am glad to see an effort from FFG. They have been awesome in looking to see where there are issues in the game and fixing them (gameplay). With the FAQ's, New Cards (Refit, AutoThrusters, Etc..)

I look forward to it becoming a bit more of a level playing field with the new faction and cards along with it. Turrets dominate my Meta, and I enjoy flying Arc-Dodgers. I can't wait to get into S&V just to modify my Imp flights! The new stuff, IMO, doesn't break Arc-Dodgers, but it does, as Paul Heaver said and multiple others have quoted, bring it back to its roots, and also level the field and make it more of a three way TIE ( :P ) back on the field.

Edited by ShortrangeLongbow

I know a guy who guessed "Apple" with C-3PO and the result was a focus, so he didn't end up getting that evade.   So it's not actually 100%.

When you cautioned him on this potentially suicidal tactic, did he yell at you to never tell him the odds?

I know a guy who guessed "Apple" with C-3PO and the result was a focus, so he didn't end up getting that evade.   So it's not actually 100%.

When you cautioned him on this potentially suicidal tactic, did he yell at you to never tell him the odds?

Actually yes!   Ha ha!

I think you're mostly right. It is more fun to fly non-turret ships against each other because outmaneuvering an opponent is a satisfying thing to do. On the other hand an iconic ship like the falcon always deserves to be played and also to be competitive.

I actually don't think there was any general problem before they announced the autothrusters though. For me it only allows to give a well deserved buff to a certain kind of ship. I mean you talk about Paul Heaver, so you should exactly know that his adversaries were not exactly chanceless just because he flew Fat Han. It is a competitive list of course but the reasons he won the championship (against an arc-dodging phantom btw.) were to be found in a lot of other factors. In the final match he plain outflew his opponent for instance!

You are right, however most games that are played, aren't AT that level of play.   Most players are far more casual than those who make the top 16 at worlds, and it is for the vast majority of casual games, that I rejoice, because for the typical Sunday Afternoon game at your local FLGS, the Turret bonanza should begin to subside. 

I like how the StarViper looks [minus the bad paint job, which I'll fix immediately] and I'll be getting at least 3 of them. It makes more sense to me visually than stuff like the Chiss Clawcraft or the Vong.

Shadows did have a fairly decent Star Wars feel in parts. The ship design was great in my opinion, and the plot integrated well with the movies—at least at that point of the EU. But it lost me where the characters played dress-up as 90's post-apocalypse cyberpunks bounty hunters, and got worse from there. Dash Rendar is impossibly one-dimensional; back then it seemed like every EU rogue was a Han Solo knockoff who was a promising student at the Imperial Academy but whose family member was killed by the Empire so they leave behind both their Imperial service and a previous life of crime to join the Rebellion and then half the time also became a Jedi. It really was like that in the late 90's, and it made it difficult to appreciate those cookie-cutter characters. 

Even worse was Xizor, who still seems to me nothing more than a goofy green clown that allegedly rivaled the Emperor in power and influence. No; you stop being Star Wars when you have a cartoon character that can out-bad the Emperor. Xizor is one notch above the level of Trioculus in my esteem, and one notch below Jar Jar Binks.

Tangents aside, can someone help me understand how a relatively massive craft like the StarViper has 3 agility? I can't even imagine something like that making the same kind of acrobatics as a TIE or A-Wing. This is a legitimate request, I'm open to explanations if there are any.