Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Auto Thrusters - Death of X-Wing

Man, do people really hate the look of the StarViper that much?

Yeah I do. Enough so that I'd never play with one. I also won't buy ships for the sake of the upgrade cards alone... Normally that's not an issue, but in this case I'll have to not put my money where my mouth is, as it were, and either live without the upgrade, or buy/trade for them.

I could proxie I suppose, but personally I don't care to proxie for something I don't own at all. I might use a 3rd HLC even though I only own 2, but I don't think I'd proxie in the autothrusters unless I was willing to buy at least one.

Off-topic, why does everyone say the Starviper looks like it has no place in Star Wars? Because we've all seen how uniformly designed rebel fighters are, and how they look identical to Ties and all. Just saying, just because it's different doesn't make it non- STar Warsy. And I think it looks great, possibly one of my favourite starfighter designs, and perfectly in fitting with the scum aesthetic.

Also, autothrusters are great, a modification that's very beneficial but not game-breaking, and one I'm certainly going to use a lot.

I dont mind the look of It, might not use it... much... but I do want at least 4 autothrusters.. so 2 it is.

I like that it is from a good story, Shadows was a good read, I thought. It really got me agitated, with Xizors pheromone use on Leia... if a story can make you hate a charactor, I think that means it was well written.

Also, Crabbok, the whole "sky is falling" schtick... was amusing, and got me to look at the thread.. I admit I was shaking my head when I opened it up.. lol

Off-topic, why does everyone say the Starviper looks like it has no place in Star Wars? Because we've all seen how uniformly designed rebel fighters are, and how they look identical to Ties and all. Just saying, just because it's different doesn't make it non- STar Warsy. And I think it looks great, possibly one of my favourite starfighter designs, and perfectly in fitting with the scum aesthetic.

Also, autothrusters are great, a modification that's very beneficial but not game-breaking, and one I'm certainly going to use a lot.

It's going to replace stealth devices on my squints, just until I figure out if it's as good as it sounds.. a guaranteed evade vs a die roll is a nice bit there.. and with RGTi can still get a hull or stealth device in for more fun.. lol.. just remembered that with 2 you can have both stealth and autothrusters.. hmmmm wow.. 4 dice and an auto evade.. out of arc.. nice

Auto-thrusters is a modification. Take that and you don´t get to take other popular mods like Experimental interface, stealth devices etc.. Also - those ships that don´t have boost action naturally can't get it if they only have 1 mod-slot, since well... Engine upgrade is a mod too.

Chill down :-)

Kepler

Man, do people really hate the look of the StarViper that much? I think it looks awesome: it's like a deadly mix between a butterfly and a handful of razorblades. :3c

Alright, for those who don't want the ship but only the upgrades? Just sell it after you're done, or just buy the cards from people like myself who'll probably get three or four of these bad boys. Heck, there's a trade thread ON THE FORUM here!

Man, do people really hate the look of the StarViper that much?

Yeah I do. Enough so that I'd never play with one. I also won't buy ships for the sake of the upgrade cards alone... Normally that's not an issue, but in this case I'll have to not put my money where my mouth is, as it were, and either live without the upgrade, or buy/trade for them.I could proxie I suppose, but personally I don't care to proxie for something I don't own at all. I might use a 3rd HLC even though I only own 2, but I don't think I'd proxie in the autothrusters unless I was willing to buy at least one.
As do I...I know it may surprise some that not everyone is wetting themselves over this ship. It's ugly...plain and simple. If I wanted to get excited about insects I would go our and catch bugs...or play tyranids...or watch starship trooper. And forces of corruption was terrible...broke what was a fairly good star wars game (and was the one of the reasons why I was against a scum faction in this game). Star wars ships IN MY MIND are the sleek letter inspired ships of the dirty rebellion, the industrial cookie cutter look if the TIE lone, and the round or boxy bulky freighters. The star viper rely should look more like a snake or a sleek strike craft...not some oversized mosquito...it has a pretty cool name, but looks God awful. This looks like something the poorly conceived Geonosians might have flown. Not some underworld "princess" who is supposedly as influential as our elightened emperor. Edited by ShakeZoola72

Dude, i thought God skyfalling hammer would be borken by now. But it just lands every single time a card information gets released.

Also turrets will have to care about facing ships in some match ups, that doesn't mean it will be the death of turret ships. Swarms are not the death to it, which is probably a much tougher match up.

Number me among those who has little appetite for the Star Viper, but would like some Autothrusters. Also, I do think that there is an increasing relationship between stuff bought and freedom of building, which makes for increasingly efficient builds. That does translate into a modest pay-to-win aspect to the game, which can be negative. (Modest, as in: it's far from being the only factor.)

However, as someone who has sufficient income to buy more, but a hangup about buying ships that don't trip my trigger, I don't have much space to whine. I'll just consider it my challenge to build winning builds with the ships I have and want to play with. (read: MOAR TIE BOMBERS!!!)

I do hope that places like Team Covenant can get more of an market of loose parts going. That said, the components that they have in oversupply vs. those that they never seem to have in stock suggests that this is not a fix to the modest pay-to-win dynamic.

In all, I ain't to bothered about it.

To those disliking Autothruster's inclusion in StarViper: where else would they put it? It's the most appropriate ship in the set to have it.

(It's also an awesome ship.)

Yes, it is entirely appropriate to the ship.

But your opinion that it is an awesome ship is invalid. Go report yourself to the ISB for reeducation at once.

To those disliking Autothruster's inclusion in StarViper: where else would they put it? It's the most appropriate ship in the set to have it.

(It's also an awesome ship.)

It's not it's inclusion with the ship to me...the placement is wholly appropriate...it's the fact the ship exists at all

Edit to add: and no it's not. It's ugly as sin.

Edited by ShakeZoola72

So what I can determine from this thread:

Some people don't want to like the Starviper. That's fine, more in stock for me to buy. Because it's gorgeous. But eye of the beholder and all...

I'm also pleasantly surprised it can 1-turn, and the complete absence of K-Turns certainly adds some more dynamic to my maneuvering with Segnor's Loop. A Loop which might just help with the whole arc-dodging thing, to make use of the autothrusters.

Edited by Hylian100

The S-loop is a big reason I'm looking forward to this and a couple other ships. I personally dont see why people think the ship is ugly.. I mean.. it's not like it's an E wing..

The S-loop is going to make arc dodging and how you fly this ship something to give serious thought to. You thought it was hard figuring out a k turn .. k turn with a curve.. nice move I think.. gonna have to be smart to fly this.

All i want is for the modders to figure out a way to get the wings to fold down asap. Then ill be happy. And seriously? you guys think this is ugly? Look at how the laser cannons are attached to Xwings and Z-95s. Like they just slapped them on and bolted them down. And that dumbass LC on top of the E-wing. It's so annoying that if i look at them too long my balls start to itch. Gah.

The S-loop is a big reason I'm looking forward to this and a couple other ships. I personally dont see why people think the ship is ugly.. I mean.. it's not like it's an E wing..

The S-loop is going to make arc dodging and how you fly this ship something to give serious thought to. You thought it was hard figuring out a k turn .. k turn with a curve.. nice move I think.. gonna have to be smart to fly this.

Yeah that was cool as soon as I read it. I was smiling about how it is going to work on the game table.

Remember how the little ship in Atari Asteroids would shoot all around while it moved everywhere... right?

This will not be the same, in that extreme but it is similar enough that I love it, I think...

^_^