Sign in to follow this  
Popn618

Auto thrusters!

Scyk doesn't have the boost action and therefore can't take AT.

The a-wing is probably the opposite of what you think. Tycho/Jake will take AT because they're endgame threats that need to stay alive. Cheaper a-wings might not bother because they're all about point efficiency and swarming.

Scyk doesn't have the boost action and therefore can't take AT.The a-wing is probably the opposite of what you think. Tycho/Jake will take AT because they're endgame threats that need to stay alive. Cheaper a-wings might not bother because they're all about point efficiency and swarming.

Well i thought Serissu had been spoiled and had the boost icon. But i relooked at the Scum news and it's not boost, in fact it is evade!

Not so sure about the A-Wings though. You can put 4 green squadrons in with dual EPT and AT. That's an awful lot of defense while maintining credible offense... Well as said i believe vipers and interceptors might be a better choice still!

Edited by ForceM

I liked the AT card. But I think it will create a new monster in the game. IG 2000 has boost in the action bar and can equip this mod card. I'm a little worried about it.

Hopefully FFG has been taken into account the status of IG 2000.

This is where me still playing primarily x-wings all the way into wave 5 becomes an advantage. Auto thrusters will mean very little for my play style.

I dunno range two against interceptors and vipers will hit your firepower somewhat, and once at range one the interceptor will be arc dodging like mad.

Some adjustments may be warranted.

No one wanted autothrusters to shut down turrets completely, we just wanted to use more than fel without gimping ourselves.

I don't know about shutting them down, but making them not be so dominate would be great.  Fat/Turrets, at least in our little group, seem to suck the theme and fun out of the game.

Plus I'm still one of those guys that thought only small ships should be able to Boost or Barrel Roll.

I liked the AT card. But I think it will create a new monster in the game. IG 2000 has boost in the action bar and can equip this mod card. I'm a little worried about it.

Why would this be worrisome? We should all be numb to the idea of Fat large ship builds at this point. At least IG isn't packing a turret.

Why would this be worrisome? We should all be numb to the idea of Fat large ship builds at this point. At least IG isn't packing a turret.

I'm really hoping that due to ability sharing of the IG-2000, it will result in lists that are powerful at the start of the game but suffer when reduced to a single a ship. That would be a nice departure from the popular Fat Falcon builds that tend to get stronger further into the game. I think the lack of a crew slot will limit the strength of a solo IG-2000.

I'm a bit confused. Why does this mod have any more effect on turreted ships than others?

"...if you are beyond range 2 ..."

Ok, so if someone is shooting at you at range 3 (or longer).  Easy enough to understand.

"...or outside the attacker's firing arc..."  

1) How is it possible to shoot someone outside of their firing arc?  I cannot recall anything that currently lets someone shoot at someone outside their weapon's firing arc.

2) Turret ships have a 360 degree firing arc, so this will also never happen for turreted ships, unless they are firing a secondary weapon which has a limited firing arc ... but then, how could they be shooting that weapon if the defender is outside the weapon's firing arc (see #1)?

In essence, as I read this, the only condition that currently applies (unless/until someone gets a way to shoot outside their weapon's firing arc) is when you are getting shot at from range 3+.

Edited by dvang

I'm a bit confused. Why does this mod have any more effect on turreted ships than others?

Ok, so if someone is shooting at you at range 3 (or longer).  Easy enough to understand.

1) How is it possible to shoot someone outside of their firing arc?  I cannot recall anything that currently lets someone shoot at someone outside their weapon's firing arc.

2) Turret ships have a 360 degree firing arc, so this will also never happen for turreted ships, unless they are firing a secondary weapon which has a limited firing arc ... but then, how could they be shooting that weapon if the defender is outside the weapon's firing arc (see #1)?

In essence, as I read this, the only condition that currently applies (unless/until someone gets a way to shoot outside their weapon's firing arc) is when you are getting shot at from range 3+.

Turret ships do not have a 360 firing arc. The rules of primary turret weapons allows you to fire at ships "outside your firing arc". All the turret ships have a printed forward firing arc just like every other ship. 

Turret ships have a forward firing arc and a turret which can fire inside OR outside its firing arc (see FAQ, page 2).  This is why other abilities like Backstabber's work when they are laying chase to ships with turrets.

Turrets dont have a 360 degree firing arc. They allow you to shoot outside of your firing arc.

Ah, I see.  They FAQ'd the definition of firing arcs. thanks.  (Stupid way to rule turrets, IMO, though.)

With that ruling then, for only 2 points, this mod seems ridiculously OP.

sKAhX8j.gif

Ah, I see.  They FAQ'd the definition of firing arcs. thanks.  (Stupid way to rule turrets, IMO, though.)

With that ruling then, for only 2 points, this mod seems ridiculously OP.

Keep in mind, only 4 ships can take this. And the only ship that can take 2 mods for Engine Upgrade to be made eligible, already has the Boost action. Look at the ships that can take it: Interceptor, A-wing, StarViper, and IG-2000. Its a bit too early to make declarations about the StarViper or IG-2000 (that StarViper dial is a bit weird and has a learning curve), but I don't think it is overpowered on the fragile Interceptor or the weak attack A-wing. The biggest complaint people have with the turret primaries are that they don't encourage dogfighting. Now, the Falcon, Outrider, and Decimator have some incentive to try and get these ships into their forward firing arc. Add some dogfighting back into the game. 

The biggest complaint people have with the turret primaries are that they don't encourage dogfighting. Now, the Falcon, Outrider, and Decimator have some incentive to try and get these ships into their forward firing arc. Add some dogfighting back into the game. 

It's like turreted ships have been unturreted. =P

Do autothrusters work when a target is in the sights of a huge ships quad laser cannons?

If you're talking about the CR-90 the Auto-Thrusters would trigger if you are outside Range 1 or 2 or if you are in front.  This may not help for the Quad Lasers you asked about but it does against the primary weapon.  If I'm not mistaken that is.

This is just like Backstabber ability working from the front or rear of the CR-90.  Of course being in the front isn't always the best place to be.

Well, for the CR-90.

Primary Weapon - Autothrusters would always activate, since the primary can only fire at range 3-5.

Quad Laser Cannons - Autothrusters would never activate, since the weapon can only fire in arc and at range 1-2

Single Turbolasers - Autothrusters would always activate, since the weapon can only fire at range 3-5.

Ion Cannon Battery - Autothrusters would activate only at range 3-4, since the weapon can only fire in arc and at range 2-4.