Sign in to follow this  
SableGryphon

A Game of Morale

One day I've played with Echo + 3 Alphas against a gang of Farlander, Horn and Cracken.

Echo was ripped apart without having a chance to fire once and I lost an Alpha very early.

I thought all was lost... but I tend to fight to the bitter end.

The 2 remaining Alphas killed Cracken .... Fahrlander and finally ...

Horn.

I did it in the end. What a sweet victory.

Sable, I'm not going to lie, I didn't read through everything you wrote.  However, one thing that bothers me about Sozin's LadyLuck, is that there is no multiplier for time, but rather looks just at raw rolls.

In your above example, that TIE fighter was super lucky to get those 3 crits, killing Fel in the first round of shooting, let's take it a step further and say that it's actually Whisper (since 3 direct hit crits will still kill her).  In one roll, 40+ points of your list have gone up in flames.  And for the moment, the "luck" swings to your opponent.

But on the next turn, you one shot a TIE.  Whoopity do!  The "luck" of the game has now balanced out.  Meanwhile, the actual events of the game have not.  This is relatively easy to see in black and white examples like this, but there are often critical rolls where you need to do 2 damage to Han (stripped of defenses) and you're expected to do 2, but end up only doing 1... This is only slightly unlucky per the math rolls.  However it can have a great impact on the game, as now you have to do essentially 3 damage next turn, which more than likely requires two ships to chase him down, leaving you perhaps only 1 ship to engage the remaining Z-95s.  Had you done just 1 extra damage, all three of your remaining ships could engage the fighters.

So for reasons like that, I've completely stopped paying attention to LadyLuck.  It is still very interesting, but I feel like it does a poor job presenting the data, and needs to have some sort of diminishing returns as the game goes on.

Khyros:

I should point out that this was a made up example and I didn't reference or use Lady Luck. You are right that games can turn on critical rolls. What I was trying to illustrate is that we often put more weight upon these rolls than are their due and that the subsequent loss is in large part due to use not flying well or making the correct calls afterwards. Though I understand if you disagree. I'm sorry to hear you weren't interested in reading my article.

I love that you quoted both Clausewitz AND Aristotle! 

When I was working on my my art degree, one of my professors stated that my first 100 paintings will suck and that is important that I get through them as quickly as possible. That idea has stuck with me through the years and I apply it to many of the activities I take on.

As the number of games I have under my belt grows, the less perturbed I am by dice and the less emotional significance any individual game has; improbable results happen on both ends of the spectrum. Instead of focusing on the dice rolls themselves, I take more pride the shots I set up, the squads I build, and the fun that I have playing the game.

Don't get me wrong. I want to win. I make every attempt to win. However, the is a sort of Zen you can achieve when you let go of fixating on chance and take pride in what you can control. In fact, with the right mindset, I believe that one can take a bit of pleasure when a statistically rare dice roll occurs. 

Khyros:

I should point out that this was a made up example and I didn't reference or use Lady Luck. You are right that games can turn on critical rolls. What I was trying to illustrate is that we often put more weight upon these rolls than are their due and that the subsequent loss is in large part due to use not flying well or making the correct calls afterwards. Though I understand if you disagree. I'm sorry to hear you weren't interested in reading my article.

Haha, I'm always interested in reading your articles, haven't gotten the time yet.

Edit:  And now I had the time, and basically nothing I said was relevant.  

Edited by Khyros

Yesterday I was going against a friends list and in the first exchange I one shotted one of his phantoms. instead of griping and getting flustered my friend laughed it off and eventually made a comeback, and won. Admittedly, my red dice were hot In the beginning, but half way through the game they went cold as well as my green dice. We had a lot of fun and we both laughed off out misfortune in our respective bad parts of the game.

I do feel that ones attitude can make or break a game, for both participants. It's never fun to play against someone who is upset about the game when they are losing, and sometimes even worse playing against a bad winner.. lol..

Edited by oneway

A well typed post with quite poignant ideas and realisations. This is one post that I will be adding to my collection of copy/pasted quotes. A mantra of posts if you like, that I read through before tournaments etc.

Very much enjoyed reading the OP. Thank you for posting it.

Cheers

These games are actually the best ones.
The game where you thought that he would win, but you didn't give up and turned the tide.
Playing a one sided game is not exciting for any player (winning or losing).
But, yes, this takes some focus to pull of sometimes.

doesn't Soontir have an evade token, so should still have 1 hull?

Not if he Boost/BR to get into position.  Furthermore, even if he did, he would have drawn two direct hits and been dead anyways (unless you had a SU as well).

Edited by Khyros

doesn't Soontir have an evade token, so should still have 1 hull?

Not if he Boost/BR to get into position.  Furthermore, even if he did, he would have drawn two direct hits and been dead anyways (unless you had a SU as well).

The picture and the story don't exactly match. That's what I get for doing them days apart. :)

I'm sure we've all seen Paul Heavers first victory at Worlds, where he loses Biggs in the first exchange after rolling 16 blanks. He then loses his Rookie Pilot without it firing a shot. He essentially is left with 2 B-wings against 5 Ties and Howl. Yet he pulls a win out of the bag, and not a 'he flew round the edge until time' win, a 'his B-wing on 1 health makes a range 3 shot on the last academy who is also on one health' win.

One of the best games of X-wing ever, and it would never have happened if Paul had gone 'ah well, I guess the dice hate me' and conceded. I don't think anybody would have complained if he had, which makes his victory all the more exiting.

I'm sure we've all seen Paul Heavers first victory at Worlds, where he loses Biggs in the first exchange after rolling 16 blanks. He then loses his Rookie Pilot without it firing a shot. He essentially is left with 2 B-wings against 5 Ties and Howl. Yet he pulls a win out of the bag, and not a 'he flew round the edge until time' win, a 'his B-wing on 1 health makes a range 3 shot on the last academy who is also on one health' win.

One of the best games of X-wing ever, and it would never have happened if Paul had gone 'ah well, I guess the dice hate me' and conceded. I don't think anybody would have complained if he had, which makes his victory all the more exiting.

This is an excellent point. Paul did not let early losses stop him from fighting and it resulted in his victory at the highest levels. It's important to remember, though, that this can happen outside the tournament scene, it's just magnified there.