Sign in to follow this  
HappyDaze

New homeworlds in FG are nothing much to look at.

Just in case players were itching to get their hands on Forgotten Gods to see the new homeworld options, I wanted to mention that all they consist of are variant special abilities that substitute for the usual ones for Hive World/Voidborn/Shrine World. That's it. Characteristics and Aptitudes are the same as the base world. There's nothing terrible about this, but I did find it a bit underwhelming considering that it gets mention on the preview and the back cover.

I guess it makes sense that they did it this way, these specific planets are subsets of the general home world models.

That said, having an OR option in terms of aptitudes/characteristics would have been a fun thing to have.

Edited by Gridash

I like it better this way, but I agree that it gives the wrong impression considering that they're marketed as new content and part of the sales pitch.

I was worried that it'd be some nonsense where, just because you are from this one specific Hive World, you're for some reason completely different from all other Hive Worlds. Which would be ridiculous.

So it makes sense and it makes me happy to hear, but.. yeah.

Well, you are different from other Hive Worlders if you're from Desoleum. You can't wade through crowds without hindrance nor do you get a bonus on navigating through hives. However, you do get a bonus to WP on things you've sworn an oath to do and you gain Insanity if you break that oath.

I haven't seen the book yet, as Canadian retailers haven't really received their copies yet, but I'm a little disappointed if the Rogue Trader ship is a Homeworld option instead of a Background option.

Why wouldn't they use a Rogue Trader Crew as a background option instead of a Homeworld? Surely it would add tons more flavour and could be uniquely different from the other options in the core rulebook?

It seems like there would be so many different options if that were the case. A Voidborn character with the Rogue Trade Crew background could be someone born into servitude on the ship, where as a Highborn Crew member could be one of the Rogue Trader's trusted officers or even a disgraced Rogue Trader him/herself?

Seems like a missed opportunity...

Edited by enentol

I haven't seen the book yet, as Canadian retailers haven't really received their copies yet, but I'm a little disappointed if the Rogue Trader ship is a Homeworld option instead of a Background option.

Why wouldn't they use a Rogue Trader Crew as a background option instead of a Homeworld? Surely it would add tons more flavour and could be uniquely different from the other options in the core rulebook?

It seems like there would be so many different options if that were the case. A Voidborn character with the Rogue Trade Crew background could be someone born into servitude on the ship, where as a Highborn Crew member could be one of the Rogue Trader's trusted officers or even a disgraced Rogue Trader him/herself?

Seems like a missed opportunity...

It might be a missed opportunity, but the text spent on the three variant homeworlds combined isn't much more than your post. These really are just a tiny bite of info. I'm not too bothered by that since this is an adventure first and foremost, but I do wish that they hadn't tried to spotlight these variant homeworlds so much since there's so little here. They might as well have mentioned that this book has the stats for the Taurox since it takes up more space in the book than the homeworlds.

Well, you are different from other Hive Worlders if you're from Desoleum. You can't wade through crowds without hindrance nor do you get a bonus on navigating through hives. However, you do get a bonus to WP on things you've sworn an oath to do and you gain Insanity if you break that oath.

Eh, sounds a bit weird to get insanity just for breaking an Oath - but I guess it could be appropriate if they are truly fanatical about those oaths and take them seriously, but if that is so, I hope there's plenty of other stuff to support this.

It might be a missed opportunity, but the text spent on the three variant homeworlds combined isn't much more than your post. These really are just a tiny bite of info. I'm not too bothered by that since this is an adventure first and foremost, but I do wish that they hadn't tried to spotlight these variant homeworlds so much since there's so little here. They might as well have mentioned that this book has the stats for the Taurox since it takes up more space in the book than the homeworlds.

I wasn't really expecting much in terms of rules, etc., but like you say, seeing how they highlighted the new homeworld features in numerous posts, it seems a little disappointing.

Regardless, I'm still excited to get my hands on the book. Hopefully someone can post a review of the adventures soon.

Edited by enentol

I was worried that it'd be some nonsense where, just because you are from this one specific Hive World, you're for some reason completely different from all other Hive Worlds. Which would be ridiculous.

It would actually make quite a lot of sense, except for the part that it'd negate the usefulness of having abstracted baselines in the corebook instead of some "generate your home world" system ;)

The articles previewing the book talked a lot about it having a gazetteer of all the locations visited in the adventure. How did that pan out? That was what I was looking forward to the most. Not so much desoleum, but Thaur is one of the few places that seemed interesting initially. Voidships are always unique and interesting so I'm pretty curious as to how that was handled. Are there maps or layouts? What are the descriptions of the areas like? What is the life of the crew like? Does it have atmosphere in the text bubbles and descriptions that make sense, but somehow manage to seem to be 'warhammer-esque'?

The amount of information for Thaur and the Oath Unspoken is actually quite impressive. I feel like there is definitely more than enough information and ideas to do multiple adventures in either location. Even the extra information on Desoleum is good. When combined with the Core Rulebook and GM Kit, the information on HIve Desoleum and the surrounding wastes is quite comprehensive.

All around, even if you don't plan on running the adventure, Forgotten Gods has great art, tons of information about the locales, characters, cultures, and organizations. There's plenty of ideas for NPCs and encounters that could work in any adventure/campaign and some neat rules for things like enivronmental/damage effects of combat aboard voidships (or tunnels, or sewers, etc.).

Essentially, Forgotten Gods has a fun adventure and so much content that I wouldn't feel comfortable cramming it all into the story arc. Great stuff to borrow and use for a multitude of things.

There's just not any full maps. There is a couple of simple ones for key encounters - very similar to those found in Dark Pursuits.

Lastly, having looked at them, the new homeworld "options" are quite minor, and more just like little tweaks to the Hive World and Voidborn homeworlds. Still, they're apprecaited.

Overall, it seems like a great book. I'm looking forward to starting it for my players on Friday.

Edited by enentol