Sign in to follow this  
Darkhorse659

Tie Bomber tactics

Nice article! I'm glad SOMEONE is giving the Bombers some love. I didn't think there was a hate for Bombers until I went to a game shop a couple weeks ago. I've never thought they were a lesser ship (unlike the Tie Advanced). It really baffles me that people could think this way. But apparently there are some that do.

What is your opinion of this bomber list:

26 pt = Jonus(22) + Squad Leader(2) + Seismic Charge(2)

25 pt = Gamma(18) + Flechette Torpedoes(2) + Proton Rockets(3)

12 pt = Academy Pilot(12)

12 pt = Academy Pilot (12)

100 pt total

I forgot to add a seismic charge to the gammas .

@ DevotedKingt - I'm a big fan of the bomber and because of that I hope they don't get cannons, that's the defenders role, but e rear arc is cool, I'd love to see that be a title cost 0 and changes your front arc to your rear arc for a ship that really flew different.

I wouldn't be offended if that was the Darkhorse variant if any game designers are listening, wink wink. :-P

As for the command and control ship, I'd love a named character with an ability so it doesn't get spammed. Plus leaving the bomber as more or less a bomber is super cool. It would also be neat to see volley fire of ordinance as an ability. Like a salvo of flechetes from a ship. Fire off all your missiles or torps of the same type, dice equals dice of one card plus half the dice of the other rounded down, but effects stack kinda deal. Maybe they are saving that for the assault boats.

As for the list I think it's pretty cool, but my concern would be the formation. Your list is all about giving people shooting options, flying the academies to bump and take a range one shot from one ship, killing their actions while the flechetes double stress a ship. Then fly in for some hurt. My only change would be to drop the gam as to scimitars so you have points for seismics. Jonus might also be better with swarm tactics, as two dice of rerolls won't benefit as much from the focus, but shooting at ps 6 is always better than 2 or 4.

@phild0 - I've found that a lot of people have no time for them, in favour of the new and flashy or the old reliable tie swarm. For a lot of people they either need hype or seeing things with their eyes to believe something. The bomber really didn't have a lot of hype so I help where I can showing people how they work.

100 pt total

Then I'd change the gammas to scimitars and take better missiles. The flechettes are nice but others hit much harder.

@ DevotedKingt - I'm a big fan of the bomber and because of that I hope they don't get cannons, that's the defenders role, but e rear arc is cool, I'd love to see that be a title cost 0 and changes your front arc to your rear arc for a ship that really flew different.

I wouldn't be offended if that was the Darkhorse variant if any game designers are listening, wink wink. :-P

As for the command and control ship, I'd love a named character with an ability so it doesn't get spammed. Plus leaving the bomber as more or less a bomber is super cool. It would also be neat to see volley fire of ordinance as an ability. Like a salvo of flechetes from a ship. Fire off all your missiles or torps of the same type, dice equals dice of one card plus half the dice of the other rounded down, but effects stack kinda deal. Maybe they are saving that for the assault boats.

As for the list I think it's pretty cool, but my concern would be the formation. Your list is all about giving people shooting options, flying the academies to bump and take a range one shot from one ship, killing their actions while the flechetes double stress a ship. Then fly in for some hurt. My only change would be to drop the gam as to scimitars so you have points for seismics. Jonus might also be better with swarm tactics, as two dice of rerolls won't benefit as much from the focus, but shooting at ps 6 is always better than 2 or 4.

@phild0 - I've found that a lot of people have no time for them, in favour of the new and flashy or the old reliable tie swarm. For a lot of people they either need hype or seeing things with their eyes to believe something. The bomber really didn't have a lot of hype so I help where I can showing people how they work.

It's all good. [-00-]. I'll settle for a weapons upgrade card.  Your primary weapon has been upgrade to 3 attack dice Tie vessel only, (Which would include the Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, and the Tie Bombers.) 

Thou my favorite version would be Version A. I would love two bombs, and a crew member. Just saying.

100 pt total

Then I'd change the gammas to scimitars and take better missiles. The flechettes are nice but others hit much harder.

The Flechettes are to keep a cloaked vessel under stress. (which means they can't uncloak! I would take four if I had them)

Edited by devotedknight

Excellent article Darkhorse!

I've recently acquired a second TIE Bomber...  Up to this point I had just one of each ship/set in X-Wing...but this TIE Bomber was calling to me from the shelf of my tiny FLGS.  It was the last of its kind, so I nabbed it.

My question would be to you would be this:  How can I use my two bombers effectively in a list?  I know more is better, but I only have the two right now.  I'd like to make use of either Proton Bombs or Seismic Charges.  I love the concept of bombs and your article made me want to use them even more!  I'm trying to find something that gives some kick to my casual/friendly games.

I was messing around a little in the squad builder and came up with something like 2 scimitars w/ 7 points of munitions each (mix of charges and assault missles/proton bomb flechette torps) and a mini swarm of 3 APs w/ Howlrunner.

Something else I saw I might try was 2x Scimitars with a little munition investment and a decked out Boba Fett.  There are some definite possibilities with only two bombers, but I just don't get enough games in to practice them all.  What would you recommend?  Should I include at least two more Bombers on my Christmas List this year?  :)

With only two of them I'd pick a task for them and let them execute it. With bombs I'd use them as my blockers. Beefy and moving early in the turn the can get right in there and Drop a payload that's going to hurt.

The flip side in my mind is to either do the same with Proton rockets for a range one shot, but it's risky. Running them with a homing missile each is going to do good work as a trailer in your squadron.

Other than that you can look to run one of the named pilots.

With only two of them I'd pick a task for them and let them execute it. With bombs I'd use them as my blockers. Beefy and moving early in the turn the can get right in there and Drop a payload that's going to hurt.

The flip side in my mind is to either do the same with Proton rockets for a range one shot, but it's risky. Running them with a homing missile each is going to do good work as a trailer in your squadron.

Other than that you can look to run one of the named pilots.

Awesome, thank you for the tactical advice.  I'll play around with some ideas on ships that can compliment.  I've always wanted to use homing missiles...maybe I just haven't been brave enough.  But having that TL to reroll is just amazing...plus it might actually come in handy against those A-Wings I always seem to play against :)

You can always play something like

AP - 12 points

AP - 12 points

AP -  12 points

AP - 12 points

AP - 12 points

That leaves you with space for 2 bombers and some ordinance.

It works and is a bit beefier than Howl plus 6 AP. on the down side only your opening volley of missiles will have a serious punch.

Yeah, that sounds like it could work.  Similar to what I had before but dropping 4 points in munitions on the scims to bump up one AP to BS.  Neato.  I lose the charges for this version, but I could always tinker with the load out.  Definitely worth trying though.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into the article. Very informative, and changed the way I think about bombs.

I've always loved the bombers and look forward to trying your list concepts. I never gave much consideration to using lots of seismic charges and just dismissed them.

What is your opinion on use flechettes used with munitions fail-safe. This technique is used to pile on stress, mostly on “echo” or “whisper”. If a phantom has stress than it can’t decloak. Which mean I really nullify about a third of his points. I would of course fire more than just one torpedo. 

Flechette Torpedoes

-Attack (target lock): Discard this card and spend your target lock to perform this attack.

-After you perform this attack, the defender receives 1 stress token if its hull value is "4" or lower.

Munitions Failsafe

-When attacking with a secondary weapon that instructs you to discard it to perform the attack, do not discard it unless the attack hits.

The flechette torpedoes can be fired at a vessel under cloak, (the Phantom). This puts stress on the Phantom, and now he can’t de-cloak. I will basically know where he is going to be for around or two, and I can take him out with bombs. 

If I don’t do any damage I still have the torp and the target has a stress. If I score a hit, the  Flechette will do damage and the target has a stress. I see a win-win here.  

Also, the Flechette is very economical. Each point gets up 1 and half dice and a free stress. 
Edited by devotedknight

@devotedknight - I'm not a fan of a plan that is based around not doing damage. Stress me all game and I'll grind you down. Flechettes are good but planning to miss isn't. I'd rather save the fail safes for bombs.

OK, Than how would you deal with the Phantoms?

The flechette torpedoes can be fired at a vessel under cloak, (the Phantom). This puts stress on the Phantom, and now he can’t de-cloak. I will basically know where he is going to be for around or two, and I can take him out with bombs. 

Phantoms can decloak if they are stressed as decloaking is not an action. The only requirement is that they are assigned a maneuver dial. However, stressing a cloaked phantom is still useful as you can be 99% sure that the phantom will be performing a green maneuver to clear that stress after it decloaks the following turn, so that it can recloak, which makes it more predictable.

@LucCros Thanx for the know! Now I understand darkhorse659 advice. So How can a bomber squad deal with Phantoms?

Numbers is my best advice. And spread out a bit, Phantoms love it when enemy ships fly in tight formations.

I've been flying 5 Scimitars in my most recent bomber squad. Two with fletchette torps, munitions failsafe and a seismic charge, and the other 3 with proximity mines.

The first two bombers are great for controlling Phantoms. Even if the torps do not hit they cause that stress and then can be reused on a subsequent turn. Their seismics can be dropped when the Phantom starts to get close, or be used as a deterrent keeping the Phantom away. This rear bomb threat combined with the forward stress torp, Phantom players usually try to steer clear.

This is where the Proximity mines come in. They have been given a recent buff in the latest FAQ. Now if they are drop directly on a ship they immediately detonate. So if you can get the Proximity mine carrying bombers near the phantom because they are avoiding the stress dealers, you can pull a maneuver (a 4-straight or 3-turn) that takes you past the Phantom and drop a mine directly on it. Its Advanced Cloaking Device can't help it there!

Also not sure if this has been linked yet, but it is an excellent article from a gentleman who flew a bomber squad at Worlds, at which he beat a Phantom squad:

http://teamcovenant.com/sablegryphon/2014/11/10/victory-is-mined-2014-worlds-list-recap/

Edited by LucCros

@LucCros Thanx for the know! Now I understand darkhorse659 advice. So How can a bomber squad deal with Phantoms?

Proton Bombs is my suggestion.

Getting hit with just one gives a 7/33 chance of 1-shotting the Phantom.

Getting hit with two of them guarantees it.

Sure, but it seems like a long shot to me of actually landing a bomb on a Phantom. That's because it will generally have higher PS than the Bomber, which will allow it to get out of the way of the bomb.

That's where, I think, the Prox Mine really shines. It goes off during the activation phase before the Phantom can get away.

Also, 3 points vs. 5.

Edit: Curse you LucCros and your ninja ways!

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein