Sign in to follow this  
jonherring87

Kings of The Sea Expansion

I just purchased this expansion and am curious why it comes with three identical decks of cards. I'm assuming it's so 1) 3 players can play the Kingmoot multiplayer with all Greyjoy decks and 2) to be able to add other cards to the other House decks I have in the core set.

Am I right in assuming these things?

It doesn't come with 3 decks of cards; it comes with 3 copies of each card in the expansion because, as kauai said, that is a full playset.  Everything that isn't the Core Set will come the same way.  Competitive players will end up buying three Core sets so they have a full playset of all the Core cards.

Edited by sWhiteboy

So for me and my friends who are not playing competitively, if I have the core set and the grey joy expansion, how would be the best way to play? It would seem unfair to use multiple cards from the Greyjoy expansion while the other coreset "decks" don't have as many cards.

I have been looking at how to construct the decks. I am getting the Princes of the Sun expansion as well.

I will have :

1 Core Set

1 Kings of Sea Expansion

1 Princes of the Sun Expansion

I noticed there were other House cards in these expansions. Should I put those cards with the other Houses I have for the Core set. Basically I just want it so if I want to play a four player game with my friends we are not having to sift through all the cards and build their own decks every time. 

The cards included with Kings of the Sea and Princes of the Sun are not constructed decks in any way. They're just cards to add to your collection for deckbuilding.

I don't see a way to make four different consistently-balanced decks out of the card pool you're working with, unfortunately.

Your best bet would probably just be to wait for second edition to be released before buying more, to be honest.

If you do want more options in the meantime, I'd say buy a second Core Set, construct four or five decks out of everything, and just keep them on hand for when your friends come around.

Does anyone have a decent deck list I could construct a House Greyjoy a from KOTS expansion so it would work playing against the other core set decks?

I have taken out the other kings that came with the expansion (Robert, Joffrey, Robb, viserys, etc...). So out of the cards that came with this expansion, which should I duplicate to have the same number of cards that each core set house deck has and is "decently" balanced?

I know it won't be perfect but I'm just trying to make due with what I've got.

Edited by jonherring87

It probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but you'll have more balanced decks if you have 1 Core set and the deluxe expansions for each of the 6 houses (no need for chapter packs). You can then copy/sleeve or proxy any duplicate cards you need from the Core set.

I only started playing this game in the last couple of months, and that's what I'm doing… and it has worked pretty well thus far.  I know that 2nd edition is on the horizon, but I still think I'll get my money out of the 1st edition sets I have (although my Core and Lions of the Rock sets I admittedly received as gifts). 

The deluxe house expansions for Targaryen, Lannister, Stark and Baratheon each include 2 recommended decks you can make with one Core and each deluxe house expansion, and I have found that those recommended decks are generally comparable in terms of power level (again, you would need to proxy or copy/sleeve some of your Core set cards if you go with this option, as the different deluxe house expansions have decks that make use of the same Core set cards).

Aside from that, I unfortunately do not have any recommendations regarding how to construct balanced decks using only 1 Core set with nothing more than they Greyjoy and Martell deluxe expansions… your only options, if you do not buy a 2nd Core, would be to do a lot more photocopying of your Core cards if you want to make 60-card decks, or reducing Martell and Greyjoy to 30-card decks each (with no duplicate cards… don't even know if there are enough cards in the Martell and Greyjoy expansions to make this a viable option).