Sign in to follow this  
jonherring87

Noob "Ice" Question/Clarification

The text for this card reads:

" Challenges: While attached character is participating in a challenge, kneel and discard Ice from play (cannot be saved) to choose and kill another participating character."

So I just played my first game of AGOT LCG last night and I was playing as House Stark. This card came up but the text is a bit confusing to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I have a few questions:

1. This card is an attachment. Do attachments "normally" have to bee knelt to be used. This card says to kneel and discard Ice from play. Does that mean that ex. you challenge with Eddard Stark in a military challenge and have Ice has an attachment. Your opponent chooses his defender. Then you just kneel and discard Ice to kill that player. Is that how it works?

2. What (cannot be saved)? Is the Ice card removed from the game or does it mean that the opposing player cannot do anything about being killed? Or does the Ice card just go in the discard pile?

3. In the example I gave earlier with Eddard and the opposing player chose 1 defender. If I choose to use Ice and kill that player, does that mean that I am now unopposed since he is not defending  with anyone or would the challenge be completed first then the Ice card effect takes place afterward?

1. Attachments do not need to kneel in order to use them unless their text specifically says so (like Ice does). So if the attachment had been knelt by a card effect, you would not be able to use the effect on Ice until it stands. Note that attachments stand and kneel independently of the cards they are attached to (i.e., kneeling Eddard does not automatically kneel Ice). -- Other than that, yes, that is how the card works.

2. The "cannot be saved" there is so that someone doesn't try to say, "I discard Ice to kill your defending character, but then I save it from being discarded with (whatever) effect." It's there to remind you that since discarding Ice is a cost, saving the attachment from being discarded would mean you hadn't paid the cost, so you wouldn't get the effect.

3. You have to use Ice during the challenge. If you use Ice, or any effect, to kill the only defending character before the challenge resolves, there will be no defenders when the challenge resolves, so it would resolve as an unopposed challenge. (btw: you kill characters, not players.  ;) )

Killing players is murder. No one will let you get away with it. :P

AGoT: Extreme League Play?*

*Extreme League Play is not affiliated with, sanctioned or condoned by FFG, GRRM, anyone else involved in the development of the cards or their content, or, indeed, by the laws of most civilized nations..

Edited by ktom