Sign in to follow this  
barabelsftw

Fat Dash Scares Me

I recently competed in a match against a Fat Dash with PTL Kyle EU Heavy Laser Cannon and outrider title with support from a corran with vi fcs and r2d2 i believe. The boost/barrel roll potential, with avoiding damage and action denial from obstacles along with stress clearing focus from kyle and 4 attack every round was extremely effective. It was my first time flying against a yt-2400 and debris and he is an amazing player but that list still scares me. Has anyone flown against a similar fat dash and had any revelations about facing it?

it scares me too.  i fly swarms a lot and that thing is going to have me on the ropes.  i really cant see an obvious answer to it!

don't get me wrong, i'm not one of these 'sky is falling' people, i just think that this combo will take some adjusting to, and i don't know how yet. 

Has anyone flown against a similar fat dash and had any revelations about facing it?

I have. And I haven't beaten it yet BUT I think there are a couple tactics for beating it:

1. blocking to deny the PTL and trap Dash in arcs.
  2. high PS phantoms & other fast/agile ships to get into the range one donut consistently and burn it down.

it scares me too.  i fly swarms a lot and that thing is going to have me on the ropes.  i really cant see an obvious answer to it!

don't get me wrong, i'm not one of these 'sky is falling' people, i just think that this combo will take some adjusting to, and i don't know how yet. 

My thoughts too. I was running 4 talas and corran with FCS R2D2 EU and Ptl. Dash can get a focus tl. There were 3 one-shots on my talas. He was brilliant in making a diamond of obstacles just flying around it always having a shot because they can boost or barrel roll off anything. I'm just going to have to fly more against it I think.

Edited by barabelsftw

Since he has push the limit, a named phantom with veteran instinct and a rebel prisonner can create a double stress scenario (the rebel prisonner doubles as a good defense against other phantoms as well).  Add a sensor jammer on top of it for extra survivability.

Something with Tactician could cause it some trouble as well.  There's a guy in our area who's a fan of double blue squadron with ion cannon and tactician.  As for the rest, I'll have to see when players both get it and start using it in my area.

Dash has about the same endurance as a Firespray, and if he's using Kyle Katarn, lacks the C3PO, Lando, R2D2, or other obnoxious defense-oriented crew, so he should go down about the same to focused fire. Attempting to block should work reasonably well, as even if you miss, you may still end up in the Range 1 safe zone from the HLC, so being aggressive to block flight paths should help, or at least "steer" him towards where you would prefer he goes. The biggest part to me is navigating rocks, since he will smartly just blow through them as avenues of escape, while your forces are more constrained. That being said, you might have opportunities to use that against him and block him onto a rock to deny the attack.

Like anything else, you probably just need to see it more to develop a feel for its movement and your tactics against it.

Since he has push the limit, a named phantom with veteran instinct and a rebel prisonner can create a double stress scenario (the rebel prisonner doubles as a good defense against other phantoms as well).  Add a sensor jammer on top of it for extra survivability.

Something with Tactician could cause it some trouble as well.  There's a guy in our area who's a fan of double blue squadron with ion cannon and tactician.  As for the rest, I'll have to see when players both get it and start using it in my area.

Not really, since if you are giving them stress they will simply not use PtL.  Sure, they give up the bonus action, but that's not a big deal.  R3-A2 is worse, since you don't get the action or the stress unless your opponent wants you to.

Blocking him is much worse, and easy to do if he's trying to abuse Kyle since the greens are, relatively speaking, limited and he cannot afford to keep the stress a vast majority of the time.

You all should not be afraid of this.  I have played FatDash since I got my Outrider at GenCon.  If you think of it as a big Interceptor, all the rules still apply.  Turrets, covering arcs, etc all annoy/stop Dash from being effective.  Interceptors/A-Wings/Phantoms/etc are all also problematic since they can move after him and utilize their actions to get into Range 1 of him.  FatHan, in my experience, beats the pants off of Dash unless you just try to run away from him all game or something.

I should also mention that I love Dash because of the weird game states he can induce.  

As an example, I had an opponent fly an AP onto an asteroid since he worked out that going onto it was what I was likely going to do to try an avoid the rest of his force since it would be a green and would ordinarily be easy to get away from.  He didn't take any damage and successfully blocked me onto the asteroid.  Yay for no shooting from Dash...Dash died the following round because of the severe damage he took as a result.

Edited by Hida77

I played against 3 variants of this.  One ran Corran w/r2d2 and and named xwing(120 point round of escalation).  The other ran 2x red squadrons( normal 100 point tournament).   The third was with Jan flying a HWK( 90 point escalation round.)

120 point escalation round I had a Whisper, Howlrunner, Dark curse, and 3x Academies.  Whisper got 1 shot off at range 1 and dropped his shields,  then we turned opposite ways(bad guess on my part) and got blown up.  Mini swarm took out the xwing,  but then got tore apart by dash and Corran.  TIEs don't get along too well with HLCs...

The 100 point list, I was running 3x bounty hunters.  Focused down the Xwings first, then concentrated on Dash.  Having 30 hit points to chew through slowed Dash down a bit.  The guy playing Dash is a good player and we were both rolling about even on dice. The ability to arc dodge with boost and barrel roll on a big ship is pretty nasty.  First hull point against him was a crit that nixed his pilot abilities, so my remaining 2 Firesprays were able to catch him mushc easier, then finish him off.  Having 30 hit points and multiple fire arcs were pretty big factors in this game.

The 90 point escalation round,  I had Whisper, Howlrunner, and 2x academies.  Whisper and Dash shot each other up.  Dashs first shot took 3 hitpoints off Whisper(pretty demoralizing start for a tournament round), Then Whisper took Dash down to 1 hullpoint(1 crit made turns red), before dash finished her off.  In the mean time, the 3x TIEs beat up on Jan, then chased Dash across the board before finally taking off his last hitpoint.

After these 3 experiences, I do have some repsect for Dash& Kyle with PTL, EU, Outrider, and HLC.  It's a solid list, but I'm not exactly afraid of it.  Seeing Chewie or Han with R2 or 3PO in the back seat is a little more intimidating, since I know its going to take a lot of work to take it down, and it alwys going to shoot at me. 

Dash gives you 1 extra red, 1 extra green, barrel roll, and the ability to ignore asteroids at the expense of having little to no shooting options at range 1.  I still think Falcons are the better overall option

Dash with push isn't nearly as scary as Dash with his whole dial open.

That's where Kyle is nice. If you don't need to take 3 actions and you've cleared a stress you leave your whole dial open next turn.