Sign in to follow this  
MyNeighbourTrololo

Challenge Me: An Undeveloped Trait

I really like the idea of these Dunland guys, however with the Dunland Chief hero it's entirely possible that you may not have to discard a card for 2-3 turns in some cases, so he'll be under performing a little during these instances?  Maybe give him a Refresh action ability like Erestors?

The Dunland allies obviously facilitate getting cards into the discard pile but you're making them very dependent on the setup of the other heroes (2 of the same sphere) with the Chief and drawing into the right Dunland ally on the first turn?

Also there's a little typo in the Chief's card (tompost).  Great reversal of the card hate theme though

He certainly could. A price to pay for being able to acquire a printed resource icon of a desired sphere. Plus, his starting threat is kinda low, so you could "lay low" for some time more easily. He already has too much text to add anything else.

I'd say that they're more about getting cards out of hand than into hte discard pile :D

I totally see them being played without the Dunland hero himself. And the hero without his fellow tribesmen.

Yeah, that´s true, but I mean what it´s about. You probably want him for his attaafck when you look at him. No offence, it was just a thought out loud.

Yep, you'd totally want him for his attack, but for his cost - giving him 3 attack out of the box would be way too much, so I tried to compensate his buildup with generic spirit thingy - willpower. Something for him to do while he is being "motivated" :D

I would like to see some Haradrim/Umbar mercenaries.

The only references to Umbar in the game that we currently have (if I recall correct), are Umbar Assassin and The Hand of Castamir. Harad has quite a set of enemies, but I do not catch any distinct theme among them. Archery and attacking right away from staging area, perhaps, but I'm not sure how to transit those things freshly into the player cards, because both direct damage and attacking the staging area are currently pretty developed things. I'll have a big thought about it.

Amazing Dunland allies! Would totally use them. The only thing I didn't like much was the generic "Dunnish Chief" hero. I would've chosen some name and go with that.

I'm not very good with names. Especially lore related ones, because I have no knowledge of it.

Next... Wose allies that have bonus when you have no more ressource ? :)

Dwarf make profit of discarded and discarding cards (somewhat), Isengard for raising threat, Rohan when losing character, Dunedain when engaging enemies.

Wose and Dunland would be a perfect fit ! Maybe friendly spiders that help you when you are exhausted ? :P

Amazing Dunland allies! Would totally use them. The only thing I didn't like much was the generic "Dunnish Chief" hero. I would've chosen some name and go with that.

I'm not very good with names. Especially lore related ones, because I have no knowledge of it.

The closest we have to a Dunlending name is Freca, who was a Rohirrim lord with mixed Rohirrim and Dunlending blood, but Freca sounds very Germanic/Anglo-saxon, closer to Rohan than Dunland, if we take the Dunlending race as analogue to Celts, which this game seems to do. However, some real-life ancient Celtic names we could use are Nechtan, Drest, Eogan and Dúngal, all male. Maybe you could transform some of them to make them some more unique.

Dunland Chief's ability is ambiguous. Do you count the cards in your hand BEFORE you draw the normal card during the resource phase or AFTER you've drawn it. It should be a response:

Response: After drawing a card during the resource phase, if you have 2 or fewer cards in your hand, draw an additional card.

or

Response: After the refresh phase, if you have 2 or fewer cards in your hand, draw a card.

----

Also, Dunland Raiders should say "round", not "turn".

----

I love this card set. I really want to try it out to see how well it works in practice. I hate the idea of having to discard cards all the time, but it's definitely a cohesive and functional faction theme.

Now... where are those Woodman cards?!?!?

Edited by joezim007

Witch of the Wild Men should probably be fixed to only trigger when you discard a card from your hand, otherwise there are a ton of cards that discard themselves from play or discard cards from the top of the deck, and this card stops being so related to the Dunland faction.

Even if you did make this fix, she would be pretty awesome in any decks that features Eowyn, Protector of Lorien, Daeron's Runes, and Erestor. It might even get Erestor into more decks. It's interesting, though, to see such a powerful card draw engine being made up of a Leadership card and a Neutral card. Of course, it's an expensive card draw engine, but we're talking about Leadership here.

What do you feel is more balanced?

Well, we are talking about a hero ability, so I think we should use the stronger one. If Bilbo can get an extra card each round, why can't we let this guy have more of a chance to do so?

Now, with all this discarding, we need a Dunland way of retrieving/using cards in the discard pile as well. That would definitely make this faction stronger. Maybe make an attachment that exhausts to allow you to swap any card in your hand with a card with the Dunland trait in the discard pile. Or maybe make an event that allows you to play a card in the discard pile as if it was in your hand.

Dunland Raider's ability happens MAYBE 3 times per game. Also, if you're paying 2 resources for him, then you are less likely to be able to have a card discarded that round before he comes into play. I'd like something easier to use and maybe repeatable. Of course, if it's repeatable, we need to limit its applicability, which is why I said it can only grab cards with the Dunland trait.

Would like to see some attachments or events with the Dunland trait. Something with the Wildery, Savage or Ravage Event trait. With actions to discard cards and then some cool benefit or just plain discarding. 

Action: Discard two cards from your hand. 

The responses that would then trigger could be seen as benefit. 

Some Dunland Mounts would be cool. :) Wargs tamed! :o That would be awesome!