Sign in to follow this  
Hottyhothot

Tactician against Soontar Fel (When does he get the focus)

I was trying that unique stress build from worlds. Very fun to play btw (even though I lost)

3 Bwings with Tactician (Crew upgrade slot)

1 Ywing with R3-A2 and Ion Cannon Turret.

Am I reading Tactician right? I came across the semantics of the card when working out when to apply the stress as Soontir gets a focus token when he recieves a stress. 

What happened; I attack Soontir (no focus or evade actions taken) with 3 dice a(Crit, blank, blank), he then rolls defence (focus, focus, blank). So he has to take the crit, but my friend wanted to know if he takes the stress as it is 'after the attack' (which would give him a focus) thus allowing him to change his roll (Focus, Focus) into evades?

waiivCR.png   fIHMdzM.png

We decided that after the attack is complete he gets the focus, so he wasn't able to use it for that attack. Am I right?

*Edit* how do I fix spelling of the topic?

Edited by Hottyhothot

"After you perform an attack" means after all steps in the attack process are complete, meaning that he has lost any necessary shields and/or had any necessary damage cards assigned to his ship.

So, no, he can't spend the focus to stop that crit, but he could use it against the next attack against him this turn.

Correct, I loved flying my stress list for a while, its really fun to mess with your opponents maneuverability!

interestingly however Rebel captive works the other way, you receive the stress as soon as you declare the target so Soontir would have a focus for use on his attack when shooting at a ship with rebel captive.

So using Tactician, you stress Soontir Fel thus he receives a focus token. Next round, Soontir  does a green maneuver to remove the stress, does a focus action and then PTL to do an evade action. Since he is stressed from PTL, he gets another focus token. He now has 3 focus tokens and an evade token.

Using tactician against Soontir is probably not a good idea.

Oops. Forgot he loses that focus at end of turn. Nevermind. Still stressing Soontir is not a good idea with Tactician.

Not necessarily. If your opponent has PtL'd that turn then you get to double-stress him, if he hasn't then you denied him the extra action this turn and make him slightly more predictable next turn, and since he's (most likely) already attacked that Focus token isn't likely to cause you that much grief, anyway.